April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. rad666

“It was just a kiss, that was all it was..."

Only this incident that was caught on camera. What else has he done with her?

April 8, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. sanity

Wow!! CNN said Republican in the first sentence. What a shock!

April 8, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. kaydevo

Poor man (but I can't believe he went on CNN to vent. Yikes.). Two people, not just one, wrecked his marriage. It takes two. The politician should lose his job too, not just the woman involved.

April 8, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Jason A.

Uh, the Congressman really ought to man-up & simply resign because he genuinely lied about himself when he campaigned on family values. He wants "forgiveness" but really he is just saying he wants to keep his political job. Man up... resign. We have enough liars in Washington DC.

As for the entire event, IT TAKES TWO. The husband of the woman is blaming the politician ... when he really needs to admit the Congressman couldn't have got that far without the woman's consent.

In America, its the women who control such events. The man only follows the invitation.

April 8, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Brad

No, your wife wrecked your life. So very sorry!

April 8, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. GAYLE AULL

It takes two to cheat. They are both guilty. I'm sorry just doesn't have the same impact it used to have. Everyone seems to think they can cheat and then say 'I'm sorry' and all is forgiven.

April 8, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. NameMilt thorn burg

Just think if they had video of Bill Clinton's escapades in the white house. And it made him more popular. Go figure.

April 8, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. AusTexGal

I have no argument with respecting privacy. In this case, he has paraded his wife and family around as a part of his campaign and has chosen to make 'his family values' a matter of public record as a means to getting elected. Now he wants privacy? ... sorry but that's hypocritical. He should resign if he wants privacy.

April 8, 2014 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Crosstown

That was a passionate kiss like he was either already "hitting it" or planning to do so, very soon.

April 8, 2014 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Ima Wright

I bet there was a lot more going on beyond kissing. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Oh, he is sooooo sorry....sorry he got caught. Mr. No integrity. Step down dirtbag. And the Husband should sue him under "alienation of affection."

April 8, 2014 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Comical

Another conservative Christian...beautiful.

April 8, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. Mike

They got catch sharing a passionate kiss. Wonder what else they've been sharing?

April 8, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. ManUp

Dude man up, it takes 2 to tango. Your wife cheated on you. She is partially responsible. People cheat usually because they are not getting treated the way they want to be at home. So look at the whole picture

April 8, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. i rayd84u

now who is really surprised by this news .

April 8, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. someguy76

Blame your wife, not the other guy. She wrecked it.

April 8, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. Lee Beacham

The after kiss.

April 8, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. harleydavidson

He is sorry that he got caught.

April 8, 2014 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. fcf

Hey at least she's hot... unlike Lewinsky. lol

April 8, 2014 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. tidding wright

Get out your wallets cheaters

April 8, 2014 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. Melissa

Seriously? How's about your WIFE owes you an apology. Looks like she was pretty into it herself and it takes two to tango. Would she have even ever told him had they not gotten CAUGHT?? Let's put all of the blame on the OTHER married guy. Why was she kissing him to begin with? Why didn't she tell him no, or stop. Double edged sword if you ask me. And he's just sorry he got caught. Thus, another reason I despise Washington.

April 8, 2014 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  21. Bill from GA

So, how is the Congressman's wife taking this?

Oh, Yeah, She's married to a Congressman, so she probably expected it.
    She should whop him up side of the head with a frying pan!

April 8, 2014 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  22. Bill Davis

Bill Clinton, and Weiner are both still going strong...

April 8, 2014 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  23. Jan

I think it is amazing that the husband of the woman blames the congressman for ruining his life. She was the one who ruined her husband's life. Not the congressman. She didn't look like she was resisting at all.

April 8, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Haven

Awww, poor guy – he thinks it was "just a kiss". The body language in that video is of a couple VERY comfortable with what they're doing. This wasn't their first rodeo. A slimy politician and a sleazy woman...it's hardly even news anymore.

April 8, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. Centaura

The entirety of the GOP has all you "Good Christian Americans" fooled. You're all being swindled. Not that the Democrats are much better, but the Republicans are actually disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves...what terrible examples of human beings. We need a shake-up in Washington, because our current "government" aka corporations that make our polices and rule our lives is straight-up BULLSH!T.

April 8, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |