April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Dale Sizemore

If you are willing to get a divorce over your wife kissing a guy, Then you didn't have or you were not commitd to your marriage to begin with.
    Take your cry baby but to marriage counseling and fix the problem that you are surely a part of

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Margaret

Funny how they claim religion and beg for forgiveness when caught. If you are going to run on family values you better have them.

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Susan

It takes TWO....Your wife is partly to blame too.

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Cantrin

Christian fraud – another one. So much for these born again jerks.

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. Lionel

Another good example of Christian Conservative. Remember David Vitter.

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Charles

Come November, vote him and the rest of the current members of Congress out of a job. A clean slate voter revolt is in order. And in the coming elections in 2016, fire the next group with your votes. Let it be known from Myrtle Beach to San Francisco Bay...get America going again or face the unemployment lines with the rest of us.

April 8, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. agathokles

Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Just another conservative Christian hypocrite.

April 8, 2014 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Todd E.

At least he's got video evidence for the divorce proceedings.

April 8, 2014 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. roger

Why is it when a politician cheats he thinks of how horrible he is and how sorry he is. If that was the case he would have thought about it and not done it. All he's sorry for is getting caught and the amount of child support and alimony that he is going to pay to his ex-wife not to mention his credibility.

April 8, 2014 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Frank

Don't blame just him. Blame your wife too. He wrecked your life and she wrecked your life. They were both married who knew each other was married as well.

April 8, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. bmullan

There was a scene in the old Bronco Billy (Clint Eastwood) where he was telling Sandra Locke about his (Billy's divorce). Sandra Locke asked him "when you found out what did you do?" ... Billy said "I shot her". Sandra Locke said "Why did you shoot her.. why not him" Bronco Billy said "Well... he was my best friend".
    Before anyone has a fit with my quoting the above.... the lesson I got from that exchange was not about violence but although the other person may be in the wrong.... ITS YOUR SPOUSE THAT SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER !! I am terribly sorry for you & your marriage... there just is NO excuse for your spouse doing this. If she was unhappy then as an adult & as your partner she should have had the guts to say something to you instead of lying/cheating. instead of showing some respect for herself & you... she showed herself to be a dishonerable coward.

April 8, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. Phillyguy

Why is this at the top of the news?

April 8, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. john pickett

Hey Your wife cheated

April 8, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Anonymous

My favorite line from MK – "If I catch her cheating I'll dump her immediately and shake the guys hand for having good tatse"

April 8, 2014 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Jme

So what difference does it make now? This husband seems to think it is all McAllister's fault. His wife is an obvious tramp.

April 8, 2014 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Spa Diva

Heath,
    Your wife ruined your life and your marriage when she went along with this guy. No matter who intiiated this little affair, the fact is that she was more than a willing participant and didn't mention it until the you know what was about to hit the fan. Please place blame where it truly belongs in regard to your marriage and your life. As his wife shouldn't blame your wife for trashing their marriage (that is if she doesn't forgive him). She should blame him.

April 8, 2014 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Adnan

What I believe is, very few of our representatives from both parties have idealizm and they are focused on what they represents for. They are like different brand names from the same origin and producer

April 8, 2014 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. bbbmf

No dude, your WIFE ruined your life.

April 8, 2014 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. madmaxCa

That's tough. I feel for the guy. But my advise would definitely be to divorce. She is living a double life, obviously not just kissing other men but sleeping with them, and basically you will never get over it and she will not have incentive to modify her behavior unless the consequences are very real and significant. Basically the husband is young and should cut his losses and search for a better mate.

April 8, 2014 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. Marc Florida

The smart thing would be to save the marriage. The two should sit down together and sort out what happened and decide if breaking up the marriage makes sense. These days marriages are too fragile and we have convinced ourselves that it goes fine with the children. That is bunk. The objective of the two talking should be to keep the marriage viable. MD

April 8, 2014 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. sly is a loser

Tampa Tim

Loser – You appear to be upset, so just calm down junior. I can also see you have difficulty acknowledging the wingnut hate machine. You should read their posts, talk about hate and that's a fact. You dung beetles are annoying.
    ___________________
    Their posts aren't half as bad as yours and sly's, you are just a sad wannabe liberal who no-one likes hence why are post here 24/7, oh and the fact that you are a paid poster probably helps, pretty sad little boy you are. Got to love the hypocrite liberal (alleged progressive (I laughed out loud when I typed that)) intolerent posters, funny to read and too easy to make fun of.

April 8, 2014 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Joeseph Eclaire

Dump that broad and carry a copy of the video into court if she try's to milk you for alimony.
    Pay enough for your child and let her fed for herself.
    Who really knows how far they we're involved with each other.
    And if not how far it would have gotten.

Your still very young at 32, and there are good and decent woman out there like there is good and decent men.

Good luck to you sir in the future.

April 8, 2014 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. shalisahere

There is a power differential here. 1) He is an elected official. 2) He is her boss.

She is guilty of cheating, but people in power need to be held to a higher standard. Research has shown men in power like this can get married women to cheat about 70% of the time, even if they had no intentions of cheating. The same way men in power can get male subordinates to do things they would never do if a peer asked them to do so.

April 8, 2014 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. mik73

What's with all the 'it takes two' comments? Did you not read: They are getting a divorce. I'd say that means he's holding his wife accountable all right.

April 8, 2014 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. bobo

Hey Buddy.... Your Wife said to have and to hold, till death do us part!

April 8, 2014 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |