April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. ACSJ

I did not see a gun being held to either the congressmen or the woman

April 8, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. squinn21

Glad this got exposes. What a jerk!!!

April 8, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. JP

Never let a fool kiss you, or a kiss fool you.
    Joey Adams

April 8, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. Dale

Good Luck with your NEW career, and nice family values you got.

April 8, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Argyle

And his second claim to fame was inviting white trash duck to a white house state of the union event.

April 8, 2014 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. ACSJ

Yet more attention is being paid to this then Benghazi, than the IRS, then Sharpton. Between this and a traffic cone in New Jersey there doesn't seem to be much news

April 8, 2014 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. Nancy Rivera

hey there buddy...the congressman destroyed your life and marriage, with the help of your wife...I didn't see her pushing him away...while I am not condoning what they did, it does take two...just sayin'

April 8, 2014 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. Not dale

Dale; maybe she wants the divorce? Relationships are built on trust and some things are not okay... (Love bringing the valuesto Washington)

April 8, 2014 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  9. It's what I say, not what I do. R/Louisiana

‘When did you get religious?’ He said, ‘When I needed votes,’”

And people are outraged about a kiss?

Proof you can fool some of the people all of the time.

April 8, 2014 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. PJ Parker

She's lost her job, her career, her marriage and possibly parental rights, but the GOP will just shrug it off, and allow him to continue to keep his seat.

April 8, 2014 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Paul Noe

I don't like him saying; "it was just a kiss"- it sounds too naive. That is all the video shows them doing. Neither one of them "confessed" their actions to either of their spouses- they were caught kissing- so they admitted to that. Neither one is likely to admit to doing more- unless more evidence comes out. But come on, lets face it- what two married people work together for months on end, kiss like they were kissing (way back in December) and NEVER go any further than kissing?? If the husband is saying "it was just a kiss" I'm thinking he is trying to convince himself that it didn't go any further because he is not really ready to let go of the relationship- and facing the facts of what really transpired between these two consenting adults would make it a lot harder for him to stay in that relationship (which does have a young child). But just between you (the reader) and me- we know it was way more than just kissing- right?

April 8, 2014 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. Joseph Brown

So kiss & make up.

April 8, 2014 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  13. ted

they are only sorry they got caught.

April 8, 2014 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. Shannon

He didn't ruin your life, your wife did. He didn't make a promise to you in marriage, she did.
    Just Sayin!

April 8, 2014 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Rick

Thank goodness for the party of family values.

April 8, 2014 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  16. Arguello #1

very nice cngressman. the qustion is how is hes "work Ethics" he he

April 8, 2014 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. Bill Carson

"I've apologized, and now I want privacy" i.e. "STOP LOOKING AT ME, STOP LOOKING AT ME. MOVE THE SPOTLIGHT TO SOMEONE ELSE..."

April 8, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Hadenuffyet

Infidelity , even so slight , has irrevocable consequences. Those that know this and live by it live substantially more peaceful lives than those who don't. It's a hard , ugly lesson learned.

April 8, 2014 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Jimmy

Oh another one bits the dust. Will my guess there's more to this than meets the eye's

April 8, 2014 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. MeinNJ

I feel bad for the guy, but all he does is blame the congressman saying he wrecked his life. Sorry dude, but your wife is to blame as well.

April 8, 2014 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. sotheresthat

You're only apologizing because you got your butt caught, Sorry to the hubby, but your wife ruined your life too!!

April 8, 2014 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. Iceman8

Guaranteed that McAllister hasn't given a second thought to any fallout beyond what has impacted him personally. That's not how these guys work.

April 8, 2014 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Lucas

Okay, so what this congressman did was wrong. But is this guy really going to divorce his wife over a kiss? It's not like they slept together! Get couple's therapy, forgive, forget and move on!

April 8, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. JohnJ

"He has wrecked my life" Nah....your WIFE wrecked you life. She is just as culpable as McAllister when it comes to the kiss. But SHE is responsible to her husband so SHE is the reason his life is ruined.

April 8, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. SP

I understand why the guy is upset with McAllister but the way I see it the guy's wife didn't spend any time pushing McAllister away.

She ruined her marriage as much as McAllister did. Seems he wants to just blame the Congressman when that little wife of his deserves a ton of it.

April 8, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |