April 8th, 2014
4 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. yolanda

@Gurgl, I'm not defending him/them. Unfortunately, there are far too many bottom feeders in DC. There are plenty of examples on both sides of the aisle. I wish that there was more disgust toward the low lifes in both parties from all sides, rather than just partisan outrage.

April 8, 2014 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

So, Hex, if she was giving it away as you imply, why did the good Member of the House accept it? Are you saying that men have no real powers to resist? What a pathetic defense of his failure.

April 8, 2014 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

The REAL Truth... wrote:

yeah, the usual GOP day late and a dollar short apology.. once again leaving behind wrecked lives... Was she coerced? Was it voluntary? Either way the usual trail of wreckage..
    ---------------------------
    Judging from the length of kiss on the video, I'd bet that this wasn't their first kiss. They've had some practice at it.

April 8, 2014 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. Sven Moshen

Yes the wife was a part of it, but the wife is not a publicly paid elected official. He should have known better for many more reasons than her.

April 8, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. bczu

Another god fearing Republican. Ha...

April 8, 2014 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. stooges999

Blame your wife there as well bud!!! SHE kissed HIM as well, so its a 50-50 deal here!!

April 8, 2014 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"When did you get religious?"

"When I needed votes."

There it is in a nutshell. The wonder of it all is that liberals/Dems despise these GOP/Teatroll social conservative religio-fascists more than the people they duped do....instead, the dupes go right on loving these guys, even after it gets exposed that he duped them.

April 8, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. Would You Look at That

“This guy has turned my life upside down.” – unless he forced his wife to kiss him, his wife was part of the equation "it takes two to tango." He, AND your estranged wife, messed up... not just him.

April 8, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Seriously

Come on people. Leave party politics out of this. Making this about your *insert political agenda here* is severely grasping at straws. As if ANY political party is free of morality stains. These are men, human beings, first and foremost. Human beings screw up. Was Clinton part of the GOP? I seem to remember a little something something with him. What political party you belong to is irrelevant. You show me 50 unfaithful Republican men, I'll show you 50 unfaithful men from any other political party. Why not talk about his hair color? He had dark hair, therefore dark haired men must all be unfaithful. How about his shoe size? Let's find a correlation on shoe size and infidelity. It's just as relevant.

April 8, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. JT

He's divoricing his wife... just because they didn't include any quotations from him about his wife doesn't mean he didn't have anything to say. This isn't an ireport – he didn't write the article. Of course the author thinks the only relevant information involves the congressman. I'm surprised he even got mentioned, aside from the fact that the few quote they used from him directly attack the congressman.

April 8, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. marlo

Who wrote this? I cant tell what the real story is. The opening all ghe way through is confusing.

April 8, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"I'm guessing he's forgetting that his wife was doing the kissing too."

Obviously....nothing says "I don't blame my wife" like "we're headed for a divorce."

April 8, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Tommy G

It is a personal matter... Nothing to see here. If Bill Clinton could get hummers in the White House while on the phone with Congressmen and the Democrats had no problem with that then what is all the big hubbub about this? Enough of the hypocrisy Democrats.

April 8, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Family Values...

April 8, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. NotAtAll

Men will always make excuses for each other and let each other off the hook. Men's inability to control their lusts are always a woman's fault. They will coerce, pressure, lie, threaten, or say to women whatever they think will get them what they want, but women are to blame for all of it and for their pathological lack of control. But, this is not to say that some women with power don't sometimes do the same thing, but the fallout is always worse.

April 8, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. Congressman didn't wreck your life

Your wife had a commitment to you and is the only one who wrecked your life. The congressman is a pig and I don't excuse his behavior. But to say HE did it is wrong. Your wife did it to you.

April 8, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

Kareno

Yeh when Clinton did it he got a impeached. Different rules for different people I guess....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FIFY

April 8, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. stooges999

ummm....it takes 2 to tango there Heath--I think you meant to say "THIS GUY AND MY WIFE......." She must be a REAL winner......

April 8, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Nunya Bidness

Married 6 years already have a 6 year old. Looks like this isn't the first time the lady stepped out!

April 8, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Deeber

@Hex – seriously, "the man did what men do". What a chauventistic comment. They are both at fault, both are (were) married with families. Both should be equally ashamed of themselves. A woman needs to quit giving it away and the men need to quit saying, oh, so sorry, she made me do it – that's how us men are. Poor excuse for human beings, both of them. I feel sorry for their kids.

April 8, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. MichaelF

come on.. is anyone really surprised.. and this guy is blaming the politician.. not once did he blame his wife.. it didn't look like she was forced.

April 8, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Dna

How come all the people on here thinking he should step down think Bill Clinton is god?

April 8, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. smith

Wow, didn`t your wife willing engage in this kiss. This husband reminds me of Hil. Clinton. It takes two to tango.

April 8, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. March113

Het "denman838" Did you demand this of your pal Clinton when he got sticking cigars in chubby girls ?

"Rep. McAllister needs our forgiveness? Okay, that's fine. We'll forgive you when you step down from office, get out of politics and get a real job. You can't un-ring this bell. Suck it up, put your big boy pants on and get on with your new life, out of the public eye."

April 8, 2014 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. jimranes

This "family values" congressman is headed out of office. What a pitiful hypocrite! Family values are nothing but empty words for this moron. Ask for forgiveness so you can do it again you lecherous fool!

April 8, 2014 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |