April 8th, 2014
5 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. john

And hangin' with the Duck Drop a Dynasty club. I wonder how far this apple is from that tree. More hypocrites! I'm shocked!!! not

April 8, 2014 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. Name. MADMOTHER

If he thinks that they just kiss I got some beach front property in ky!!!! That old boy dip in that ink bowl !!! HA

April 8, 2014 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Malory Archer

Roxy

funny we are quick to report dirt on the REPs but what about the 3 CA DEMS that got arrested for things way worse than adultery?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was two weeks ago – practically ancient news in our 24/7 cycle. Ironically, "librul" MSNBC host Rachael Maddow actually covered the three for a full week, and it was in no way flattering for any of them.

April 8, 2014 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Eyesofnewt

For all the wife blamers...wrong. It falls on the Congressman, the elected official, the Boss, the one that took the oath of office...and that's why we have harassment laws in the workplace.

April 8, 2014 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Tony D

If his wife wasn't doing it with the Congressman she would have been doing it with somebody else in all liklihood. It doesn't sound like she and her husband were on the same page as far as the state of their marriage is concerned. With a small kid involved, he might want to think twice about divorce unless the marriage has totally broken down. It sounds like his wife needs to be totally honest with him about whether they have a future together.

April 8, 2014 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. Matt

To all the liberals here bashing the horrible Republican. First, I do not support him, but you need to put this in perspective. Bill Clinton, the sitting president, stuffed a cigar somewhere it doesn't belong while in the oval office. Yet somehow everyone still loves the Clintons. Not only that, but Hillary who is "the champion of women" started bashing every woman her husband slept with as if that is some sort of defense. Bill should be in jail for manipulating a young 22 year old intern who's life was destroyed and Hillary shouldn't be given an ounce of respect. Yet you will all be cheering Hillary 2016 soon enough. Talk about hypocritical...

April 8, 2014 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. Silence DoGood

@Tommy G
    It is a personal matter... Nothing to see here. If Bill Clinton could get hummers in the White House while on the phone with Congressmen and the Democrats had no problem with that then what is all the big hubbub about this? Enough of the hypocrisy Democrats.
    -----------
    Let's compare. Tommy G's comment on last article – conservatives have a "sliding scale" for morality:
    Tommy G
    "Bill Clinton set the precedent for this with his long history abusing females and continue dit when he got into the White House.. Democrats screamed it was all a personal matter. Given the Demorcat Party's endless cases of mistreating woman, you have to be a total fool to believe their war on woman BS. Democrats are the only ones waging a real war on women, and using them when it is convenient in between all the abuse."

April 8, 2014 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. dike

Husband is like yikes this Vance is so yucky looking and she kisses him... does that mean I am worse looking than Vance....?

April 8, 2014 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  9. Billybathgate

I am a Christian, 40 years old, and I've learned that any time a politician or businessperson starts talking about what a Christian they are, that's a politician I probably don't want to vote for, or a businessperson I probably don't want to do business with.

April 8, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. Bud

@Hex – Nice. If I were a defense attorney and representing a man accused of rape, I would DEFINITELY want you in the jury. Do your knuckles hurt when they drag on the ground? Just curious...

April 8, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  11. materialman80

So old Vance is a sleeze just like the rest of them in DC. He has 5 children and talks about "family values"...really? Let's ask his wife about those family values. Hopefully she will send him packing and he can give her lots and lots of child support.

April 8, 2014 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

How about those republican family values!

April 8, 2014 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  13. Beatrice Bloom

This is what happens when folks are asked to work past the 8 hour work day and the 40 hour work week. Wanna know why your spouse isn't in a hurry to come home everyday??????.. VIDEO PLEASE!

April 8, 2014 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. sly

Mega-Pastor caught f-king his clergy.

God-Ster Southern TeaKKKlan caught with his hands down his best friends pants.

Tells you all you need to know about God-Sters. I wouldn't trust one as far as I could puke on one.

April 8, 2014 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. chad

Thus may be a bipartisan problem. But only one party plays the "family values" card to win elections.

April 8, 2014 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. scarf

Tommy G

==========================================================================================
    If it's a personal matter, why did Republicans investigate Clinton's dalliances? Sounds more like hypocrisy from the Repbulicans.

And, for what it matters, Democrats DID have a problem with Clinton's behavior. They just didn't think it worthy of an investigation that lead to impeachment.

April 8, 2014 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. ???

They have a 6 year old som, calll the Maury show. See if u da baby daddy.

April 8, 2014 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Another Christian family values hypocrite. Why am I not shocked

April 8, 2014 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. The Real Tom Paine

Yes, Tommy G, its a personal matter, but if it were a Democrat, I'm sure that you would be leading the charge on his lack of morals, etc. The Democrats are not the party that has attempted to enshrine seminary rules into public law, so please stop trying to act like this is no big deal when you have already been posting about how you think Democrats are hypocrites, lacking moral fiber, etc. You're treating it like this because its one of your own that's acted like a pig.

April 8, 2014 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. Chris-E...al

@ Hex Your you are spot on most all of your comment But one thing . Not ever man would do that bud . . But i know where you coming from .

April 8, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Jason

Why is this political? I will tell you why. Simple. Democrats do not claim to be the party of Jesus that will lump you over the head with a Bible for your moral indiscretions. This is about hypocrisy. And what is ironic is that the majority of the cheaters, not counting a few Bill Clinton types, are usually so called "God fearing" Republicans. These politicians are all about using religion just to get votes but morality and religion are two different things.

April 8, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. mark

If it were my wife they would both be dead!

April 8, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"Leave party politics out of this. Making this about your *insert political agenda here* is severely grasping at straws."

Really? Because Dems are also running around using "family values" religiosity they don't even believe in and promising all sorts of religious belief legislation to fool people into voting for them?

April 8, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

What's really sobering, this clown looks like a cross between a Yak's butt and a Musk Ox.. The lady needs glasses or contact lenses. A trip to an optometrist seems advisable.

April 8, 2014 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Justin Cider

No doubt this is the fault of gay marriage wrecking an otherwise perfectly stable conservative christian marriage...

April 8, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |