April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. john

Jimmy Swaggert's new best friend!

April 8, 2014 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. smith

Now this is funny. Liberals on here say when Bill Clinton cheated it was no big deal( and they did way more than just kiss). Now here, this gop guy is an evil guy who has destroyed lives(and he just kissed a woman..which is still wrong). Double standard?

April 8, 2014 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Beth Wardley

Does the wife bear no responsbility?

April 8, 2014 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. reggie53

He has to blame his wife.......the Congressman did not wreck his life...it's his wife who cheated on him. She could have said no to the affair but she chose to do it so that tells me that she wanted it. We always seem to blame the man but if a man approached me about getting involved with him and I am married, my answer would no way. So maybe he should be looking at his wife and find out why she did what she did.

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Mike in SA

As I tell my liberal/democratic friends when one of theirs gets caught up in something like this: Fire up his/her butt. One standard for them all, period. A person who will cheat and lie to his wife has zero business representing me in elected office; Republican, Democrat, Independent, Tea Party...I don't care. If you're going to act like this, get out of elected office.

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Boo

Another hypocritical "christian." I'm shocked. Please note sarcasm.

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Real Truman Dem

It's so sad how the right always throws the "Dems do it too" & "Remember Clinton!".

But most Dems don't brag, boast & sanctimoniously preach about family values and good, Christian people. Most Dems don't belittle people who don't share their own faith. And most Dems don't want to write laws based on the Bible.

So, no- Dems aren't as bad as Repubs simply because they sin. They are better than Repubs because they aren't hypocrites.

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. just saying

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – Take Back the House
    How about those republican family values!
    --–

as opposed to the democrat party family values of murdering babies.

April 8, 2014 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. tooquiet4me2005

McAllister's a dime-a-dozen....

April 8, 2014 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. sniffy45

dude they didnt just kiss, look, his shirt is all hanging out, they just got done doing wayyy more than kissing. PS we got his alarm code too 😉

April 8, 2014 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  11. Marty

I hope he has something to fall back on. He has forfeited his rioght as a congressman. Forgiveness? Yes. Congressman? No!

April 8, 2014 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. Jason

@Matt: Bill Clinton manipulating a woman is not a jailable offense. Last I checked, persuasion is not a crime. Also, a 22 year old is not a child. Unless you are saying women like Monica L. cant think for themselves. A lot of today's feminists would agree with you of course. Feminisism of 2014 is all about women not being accoutable for their decisions of course.

April 8, 2014 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"cigar somewhere it doesn't belong"

There you go again, telling women what to do with their reproductive organs.

April 8, 2014 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Malory Archer

mark

If it were my wife they would both be dead!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why would you risk your freedom, and possibly your life for a couple of cheaters? You should just walk away and pretend they're dead and be better off in the long run.

April 8, 2014 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. The One Who Knows

"He has wrecked my life".

Uh, and your wife is an innocent party in this matter? Sounds as though she's just as guilty.

April 8, 2014 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Silence DoGood

@Sniffit
    "Because Dems are also running around using "family values" religiosity they don't even believe in....."
    -----–
    This is one of those conservative myths that really gets me spun. How dare you judge someone else's religious beliefs. So I am guessing that since your don't agree with them, that reduces their religion to heathen rants in your eyes. I hate to break it to you but the US is a country with freedom of religion for ALL. Even if you don't agree.
    “We should begin by setting conscience free. When all men of all religions shall enjoy equal liberty, property, and an equal chance for honors and power we may expect that improvements will be made in the human character and the state of society.”
    ~Founding FatherJohn Adams, letter to Dr. Price, April 8, 1785

April 8, 2014 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

What's really sobering, this clown looks like a cross between a Yak's butt and a Musk Ox.. The lady needs glasses or contact lenses. A trip to an optometrist seems advisable.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL – perhaps this is a textbook example of that old adage "love is blind".

April 8, 2014 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. mr muggles

Another brain dead story with brain dead comments from the brain...... This is not news. This is entertainment. Most often the "real news" is covered in a sophmoric simpleton dumbed down manner and a one-sided one view typical way. Multi-faceted comprehension alludes drawn conclusion every time. If the "news" presents a 10 minute commentary this is to be and is looked upon as hard~hitting. There lies a story between "this" and "that"

April 8, 2014 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Matt

Another hypocritical Republican preaching family values and criticizing others while acting this way. Glass houses & stones

April 8, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. martin

seems like those who preach the loudest are always the guiltiest!

April 8, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. Clear and Present Thinker

Red state "family values"?

April 8, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  22. Claudia, Houston, Tx

He's a creep. Creeping around with another man's wife whille clinginng to Duck Dynasty like they are God.

April 8, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Luc

Conservative family values these Christian Sunday church goers are just as easy to sin as we all are. So please stop thinking you conservative Christians are above everybody else. Made a mistake carry on with your life. God will not help you get your job back.

April 8, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. JJ

Contrition comes before forgiveness. Resign your seat. Go. Then maybe you will find forgiveness.

April 8, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  25. ART

Where are the bums from Duck Dynasty with their self righteous indignation now?

April 8, 2014 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |