April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. paul reynolds

Of course He's a "Christian Conservative" – by Republicon definition they start Wars, build $Trillions in debt, Repeal Food, Care and Help for the Neediest, and funnel unlimited Wealth to the already Wealthiest!

April 8, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. enidlj

Uh.....not only has this congressman wrecked your life Heath....your WIFE wrecked your life. Don't put the blame solely on the congressman. Your wife is as much to blame an more for this embarrassing tryst. You need to confront her and ask her what she was thinking.

April 8, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Reddog9500

"Just a kiss"?? That was NOT "just" a kiss!!

April 8, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. D

Stay classy, Louisiana!

April 8, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. prairieguy

she is saying he ruined her life.....the video does nt show her backing away....it took 2 to make that video...she is asmuch to blme as he and it looks like her usband views it that way as well. I am kind of doubting this is the 1st time that it happened!

April 8, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. atkoa

The congressman should resign, I feel sorry for his family, and the womans family. What a jerk.

April 8, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. Tom

Let's be clear, Monica Lewinsky was no innocent intern. Infact, before Washington, she broke up another marriage by seducing the husband of a couple that was letting her stay with them. If anything, she was a plant, in order to catch Clinton red handed. And shame on him for falling for it.

April 8, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Guest

Of course he is going to bring up God to please his republican religious hypocrites.

April 8, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. southmost

The Bill Clinton comparisons are off the mark. Clinton didn't campaign as a fundamentalist Christian or try to impose his personal morals on society. McCallister did. If you campaign on a platform of pragmatic ideas and policies, then I couldn't care less what you do with your personal life. If you campaign on a platform of pushing your own religious beliefs onto society, then your personal life is fair game.

April 8, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Greg

They're Christian when it's convenient!

April 8, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Meyer C. Dhoates

This guy is sorry he got caught, not for kissing a married woman. I wonder what happened after they were out of view of the camera.

April 8, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. The Real Tom Paine

@just saying, when the GOP actually demonstrates they give a damn about a child once its out of the womb, then maybe you can talk. Whether you abort them before birth, or make their lives a living hell once they come out with indifference masquerading as " freedom", the question ought to ask is who is really taking responsibility for the policies they create? Its certainly not your lot.

April 8, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. scontra788

I feel bad for you man. I hope you get closure and find a women who respects you. The congressman is garbage , I hope the people in your community see him for what he really is and kick him to the curb.

April 8, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. FLD

One more lying, self absorbed politician we can do without. Boot that loser out and let him go work for minimum wage...

April 8, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. filthburger

Ahhhh, Republicans.

April 8, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  16. Noshel

This guy need to really wake up. there are about 20 % of women in the world who would never cheat. as for the rest, it depend on time place and person!. but it will happen in their lifetime. You have to be like me , question every thing, make sure the answers you get are straight forward, and not ones where they sound like some one are trying to hide things!. The best way to know if your wife or girlfriend will or would chest. You should ash her this question, this goes for women as well!. Ask her , if she would cheat, which of her ex, or which guy she see , that she would cheat with you with, and the same goes for the wife or women to their husband!. you see . every man and every women with the exception of that 20%. all have fantasy of being with some one they admire other than their husband/ wife . and if given that opportunity they would take it.

April 8, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  17. reggie53

@JJ.......I do not remember Bill Clinton resigning when he got caught? And he actually did his cheating in the Oval Office. If only the desk could talk......I am sure we would hear a whole lot more....maybe even enough to write a book or do a movie......Lol.

April 8, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. Yoyoma

The congressman did not wreck his life, his wife did.

April 8, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"So I am guessing that since your don't agree with them, that reduces their religion to heathen rants in your eyes. "

Huh? I'm chalking this one up to Poe's law...you clearly missed my sarcasm (not the question mark at the end).

People can believe in whatever insane religious nonsense they want and I truly won't give a Smurf's fart about it as long as they are not trying to write it into our laws to make me live according to it.

April 8, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. MikeA

Another family values guy.

April 8, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. scontra788

I feel bad for you man. I hope you get closure and find a women who respects you. The congressman is garage disposal leftovers. I hope the people in your community see him for what he really is and kick him to the curb.

April 8, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

no smith, the double standard comes from those who preach moral standards morning, noon, and night, and then insist we forgive an elected official for engaging in behavior thats demeaning to his office. No one has ever excused Bill Clinton's behavior, but it never rose to the level of impeachment, either, unless you were Newt Gingrich hiding his own affair.

April 8, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Malory Archer

smith

Now this is funny. Liberals on here say when Bill Clinton cheated it was no big deal( and they did way more than just kiss).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

funny, I've been reading the posts on this thread and haven't seen a single one by a liberals saying when Bill Clinton cheated it was no big deal. Looks like you're lying again smith. That being said, I'm seeing a lot of reds on here blaming the woman while giving the guy who ran on "family values" (and failed miserably) a pass. Double standard?

April 8, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Daremonai

'he' ruined the husband's life? Last I checked, women have agency and are capable of making their own decisions. They have not been property that can be stolen in quite some time. Oh but his honor has been smudged and his family is shamed! *headdesk* what a goober....

April 8, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. Robert Constant

It s a statistical fact that the Bible Belt Red States have have the highest divorce rates in the nation. Pehaps, the "famy values" platform of the Republican Party is in recognition of this failing among their base. Perps the choice of "Crosstianty" over Chistianiy" of so many of these fire and brimstone fundamentalit sects is a recognition of heir collective moral failure These folk hould consider changing their party affilition.

April 8, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |