April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. JFH67

IF that husband thinks "it was just a kiss" he's dumb, naive, and delusional. Based on what I saw, there's more to their relationship than just that one incident.

April 8, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Jodi

Not ONE word about this story on FOX "News." I guess they just can't bring themselves to post anything about one of their own.

April 8, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. scontra788

They both came out of his office obviously just finished up with his shirt untucked and he wanted to get one last kiss from her. This has probably been going on for awhile.

April 8, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. J

"It was just a kiss." – Hey bro, no, it wasn't.

April 8, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. JC

The woman is as guilty as he is.

April 8, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Ryan

Another fundamentalist conservative beaten by his own so-called moral judgement! Na Na Na Na; Na Na Na Na; Hey Hey Hey; Good Bye!!!

April 8, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. Malory Archer

just saying

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – Take Back the House
    How about those republican family values!
    ––

as opposed to the democrat party family values of murdering babies.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The dems didn't send troops to the mid-East to kill babies based on lies, babe. That's all on you!

April 8, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. 2L

How long is he going to keep playing the religion card to stay in office?

April 8, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. sameeker

April 8, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Marie MD

@roxy, Dems don't pretend to be saints, bible thumper and christians as much as the teaklans.
    What happened in CA was a while back. This Is NOW. A married politician with five kids cheating on his wife. I bet that was not the first time these two have been that close. She's is just as guilty too.

April 8, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. There is a difference

Is there a difference between this and what Clinton did? You bet there is! This guy, McAllister, ran claiming he would take 'family values' with him into office if elected. While what Bill Clinton did was absolutely terrible, he never put himself up as an example of a great Christian family man, devoted father and husband, to 'buy' votes! McAllister has publicly humiliated his wife, that is hardly the behavior of a devoted husband! These politicians using their religion to sway votes are really disgusting. They are relying on voter stupidity and gullibility...and sadly it is working for them!

April 8, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. mdm646

Oh come on Heath just another Louisiana good o'l boy havin fun. What's a politician to do?

April 8, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. sameeker

I am curious to see if he gets the house, kids, and child support in an amount that a man would have to pay. She demonstrated herself as the lowest and most desperate of ladies my choosing a congressman to make out with.

April 8, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. KawiMan

Another POS hypocrite politician.

Unless you walk the way you talk, you have no business working in government except for maybe, waste disposal.

April 8, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. matt houston

"Welcome, to the Desert of the Real World."

April 8, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Michael, Chapel Hill.

If going against terrorists is bad, try surrender, if saving money is bad,try spending it out; if wealth is bad try proverty. So,"Christianity is bad," try Islam.

April 8, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. Eric Ready

Funny how this guy is blaming the congressman for wrecking his life but doesn't blame his wife at all.
    Married six years with a six year old at home. I'm not good at math but.....

April 8, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. sg

No, Heath, your own wife wrecked your life – she willingly participated, she chose to be unfaithful to you. Build your life again.

April 8, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. pierce

Maybe he is a protege of that other family values guy, David Vitter.

April 8, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. shawssc

just a kiss? look at his shirt in the video. LOL

April 8, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. clouseau2

I really don't care about the private lives of politicians, whether it's Clinton, Gingrich, Vitter, Spitzer or McAllister. Snog and pork whoever you want.

However, if you paint yourself as some sort of beacon of morality and want to regulate other people's s_e_x lives and take away people's marriage rights, then you will rightfully be called out as a hypocrite.

April 8, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. KodiaK

The words most used by conservative Republicans and foxnews: "We apologize"

April 8, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. Ben

Your wife wrecked your life. The congressman made no vows to you

April 8, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. luvuamerica

I like what Cliff Robertson said in Spiderman – "With power comes great responsibility. He used power to corrupt this woman.

April 8, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Ricky

Sorry bro, but Mr congressman didn't ruin your life. If your wife actually loved you, she wouldn't have cheated on you. So that's either your fault, or her fault, but not Mr. congressman's fault.

April 8, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |