April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. melpa

in my expirience, those that need to continually remind you just how religious they are, are the ones who are the least Christian of them all.

April 8, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Drake

LOL... yet ANOTHER Conservative Christian hypocrite.
    Just say you're a Christian and the sheep follow.
    That's why it's still very profitable to open a church and get tax exclusions to boot.
    But Faux News says there is an attack on religion. Right!

April 8, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. JimmyFlim

The congressman is such a good looking man. Good looks, incredible power, and he's got the lord on his side to boot! It's easy to see how any woman would be swooning for his affections.

April 8, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Bob Johnson

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was..." Well, Keith, I hate to add to your grief, but based on that kiss in the video, in the office, it would appear that more than that was going on outside the office.

April 8, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

KodiaK, its actually the least used words in the conservative lexicon, since they are never wrong: at least, they are never wrong unless there is a woman or a minority to blame.

April 8, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. Pablo123

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family,This guy has turned my life upside down." A bit dramatic no? Pull yourself together and look at the relationship. Fact is if your wife is with someone else you are part of the problem. Unless of course you are a fine person and she is a woman of loose moals, in which case you made a bad decision in the first place. Maybe you you got that kid before you were married, eh?

April 8, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. auntiekale

God worshippers sure have some messed up value/moral systems.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Name jk. Sfl. THE KOCH BROTHERS GOP STOOGES PARTY NEEDS to be VOTED OUT IN NOVEMBER !!!!

Just another GOP predator runing on RELIGOUS values that he obviously LACKS. Kick all these GOP CREEPS OUT in November!!!!!!

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. sonny chapman

Jesus teaches Forgiveness Heath.Here's your chance. Embarrassment is NOT a reason to NOT Forgive.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. candodan

Well, it doesn't matter that HE cheated because his religion says he is saved anyway. Most christian religions believe that you are saved, and a sinner, so you are going to do these things. They also believe Eve brought it to him.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. RealityCheck

Heath seems to want his wife back. Not once did he blame her in this report.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. BoFo

Uh, Heath, here's a message for you.
    HE didn't wreck your life. THEY did.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. nonya bidness

yup, shirt was out... i would say they just had whoopeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, i am feeling sorry for him... NOT!

you think he would be apologizing if the camera hadn't caught him?

na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Norma Vessels

Boy, that Congressman didn't even wait until he was at least in his second term! He's a fast worker. Or maybe ... just maybe ... he has had practice before and had his act down pat. Of course, the woman is just as guilty. If they both lose their spouses, it's no one's fault but their own. I for one, could not stand to be close to my husband, if I found out he cheated on me ... and on camera, no less! He would be gone from my life, either way.

April 8, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. Gopher

Sounds like he should run for GOP presidential candidate. Thats the quality of candidates in general.

April 8, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. stevetall

Another "values" politician who does not have a clue about life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness. Clearly a putz.

April 8, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

smith

Now this is funny. Liberals on here say when Bill Clinton cheated it was no big deal( and they did way more than just kiss). Now here, this gop guy is an evil guy who has destroyed lives(and he just kissed a woman..which is still wrong). Double standard?
    -----------------------------
    This isn't about Bill Clinton, it's about.Vance McAllister. It's about a conservative Republican who campaigned on moral and family values, and gets caught demonstrating that he hasn't the moral and family values to which he professed. It's the woman's husband claiming that his life has been destroyed, not Democrats.

April 8, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. netizen24601

I will never understand why people in a contract blame someone that did not sign that contract for breaking it. A contract can only be broken by those that signed and agreed to the terms of the contract.

April 8, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Leah

Yeah, guy, I am sure that the one and only kiss these two ever shared was the one that happened to be caught on film. You don't actually believe that, right?

April 8, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. Pablo123

Scheduler? I hardly even knew her!

April 8, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. moderatedx

Good 'ol Republican family values, again.

April 8, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Edwin

Ben: the wife may have done some of the damage, but the Congressman did his share, too. It really does take two to make an affair. His family values are not very valuable.

April 8, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. mumbles menino

i love karma

April 8, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. CapeCod

I really enjoy comment from the guy that claims it's a trait of the GOP.

Really...

One word...

Weiner....

I rest my case

April 8, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Kojack

Looks like him be a bad boy --no tucky got lucky

April 8, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |