April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Bob Hope's Ghost

remember when the libs said clinton's BJ was a non story? Yet here they are, making a huge deal out of a kiss.

April 8, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. DML

I don't think the Congressman ruined your life Heath I believe your wife did for cheating on you. Put all the blame on the man? I don't think so it was BOTH their faults...get over yourself Heath and look to your wife for more answers then it was "just a kiss".

April 8, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. BW

I like how he is blaming the Husband of the other woman. You wrecked your life, congressman. You did! Man up and take responsiblity for your actions. I am so tired of no one taking responsiblity for their own lives falling apart. You wife and the other woman's husband did nothing wrong. You made the choice and now you have to live with it. Idiot!

April 8, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. Synthetically Thought...

@Silence Do Good: I think the reaction by the Dems is based on the hypocrisy of the GOP when they act as if they are above board on every issue while conveniently overlooking their own transgressions. These past 6 years we have witnessed constant efforts to obliterate the Dems and this administration while the conservatives sit on their high horse, raising their boots to avoid the rising pile of dung that bilds up aroubd their own hypocisies.

April 8, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. rl

Now let's all feel sorry for the Christian congressman

April 8, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Bill

Looks like he must be looking to make a run at the White House...since that sort of thing is the social norm for some presidents.

April 8, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. dotofoz

More hypocrisy. In reality some people mess up their vows, but if they come off as holier than thou, you can be sure there is something going on.

April 8, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. NorCalMojo

Dude ruined his own life 6 years ago when he married a woman who cheats.
    I doubt it's the first time she has or the last.

April 8, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Elvira Wiggins

To the one that said "There is no news on Fox news about this", I suggest you check again.. After politics forward slash 2014 forwardslash 04 forwardslash 07 forwardslash congressman-says-fallen-short-after-kissing-video-surfaces you'll even see a video.. That's fair and balanced for you.. It was posted YESTERDAY!

April 8, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. Peter Grenader

Don't worry honey, it probably wasn't that great for him, either.

April 8, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. etiendelamothecassel

"freakin" this & that.....what a poor choice of words. This makes my blood boil. A word for idiots.

April 8, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. jeremywilliard

Phhhh. Her fault 100%......men want every women...women have the choice. He had the money, the power. The things a fool cheats for. She just probably had looks. His was step down, hers a sick twisted cling up the ladder. Gawd awful, she deserves divorce and shun from other relationship chances until she is too old to get a true love and see the awsomness of love and sharing your emotions not your saliva for a pick-up.

April 8, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. ART

Where are the Duck Dynasty boys with their self righteous indignation now?

April 8, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. jason

McAllister: The reason why I support Gay marriage

April 8, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. G hray

Dirtbag

April 8, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. bobo

Dude.... it's your WIFE that has devastated you! Blame her! She would have found someone else anyway! Geez....

April 8, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  17. JT

Hey Republican hypocrites, maybe you should talk to your "God" first, next time before you get caught.

April 8, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |

Gilbert Davis
    Bob Packwood
    Gov. Kirk Fordice
    Beverly Russell
    Marv Albert

Other philandering Republicans:

N.C. Rep. Sue Myrick – Who cheated on her husband and left him for another man!

LA. Rep. Bob Livingston – The GOP Speaker-to-never-be, who cheated on his wife Bonnie – with at least four women!

Michael Huffington – The Former GOP Congressman who cheated on his wife Arianna – with other men!

Oklahoma Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin – Who had an adulterous affair with her Security Guard – a state trooper!

Rep. Helen Chenoweth – Who f'd most every married male member of the Idaho Legislature!

The Charleston County, S.C. Solicitor, a Republican, who had an extramarital affair – a GAY affair with another man.....

Jim Bakker – Who eventually got locked up in chains and sent to federal prison.

Jimmy Swaggart – Who broke down crying after he got busted with an ugly woman of the night!

April 8, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. jason

funny thing how the radical deminist would decry this womans enslavement

April 8, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Ace

Perfect

April 8, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. D jones

Jodi is completely wrong. Fox news has covered this story. I just read it on Fox. They did however, try to bury it.
    Back to the real issue; this is what you get when people vote with their emotions instead of their brains. Both of the major political parties can do better, but, they don't.

April 8, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. Ray Cruz

Maybe this "Christian values" politician should brush up on a few of his thou shalts... especially the one that starts with 'Thou shalt not covet...'.

April 8, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. not an idiot

Why is this man blaming the guy and not is cheating wife? Its her fault she ruined his marriage. and why is this in the news, do we not remember democrat president nominee John Edwards having a kid with another lady while his wife had cancer and then letting the kid be raised thinking his dad was someone else. Then he sued doctors for a living. then he would curse out little kids in his neighborhood when they stepped on his grass (I know bc i lived in his neighborhood) but this man KISSED another girl so lets hate republicans!

April 8, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Houston guy

I think his wife participated. It wasn't just the congressman. So "he" didn't ruin his life, both the wife AND congressman did.

April 8, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Kim Carnes

Another liar. Don't vote for him, and show him what you think of his lies.

April 8, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |