President’s aunt, Zeituni Onyango, dies
April 8th, 2014
8 months ago

President’s aunt, Zeituni Onyango, dies

(CNN) – President Barack Obama's aunt has died in Boston after a lengthy battle with cancer, according to her immigration lawyer.

Margaret W. Wong and Associates released a statement Tuesday that Zeituni Onyango, the half-sister of Obama’s late father, Barack Obama, Sr., had died on Monday in Boston.

Onyango was born in Kenya in 1952 and became well known in 2008 when questions about her immigration status came to light during her nephew’s first run for president.

Onyango applied for political asylum in 2002 due to violence in Kenya. Her request was turned down. She appealed twice but was denied each time and ordered to leave the country.

Wong fought on her behalf and in 2010 she won her asylum case with the Immigration Court in Boston. Wong later helped her obtain her green card.

CNN has reached out to the White House for comment.

CNN's Lawrence Crook and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. John

Condolences to the family

April 8, 2014 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Jules

Funeral paid for by the taxpayers

April 8, 2014 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. CapeCod

You came here illegally
    You refused to leave
    And you ended up on welfare.

I bet you voted you voted Democrat.

April 8, 2014 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  4. Josh

Don't like his policies but I hope no Republican on here wishes any ill-will on him in regards to this. Doesn't matter who you are and what you believe the loss of a loved one should never be celebrated by people just because of political disagreement.

April 8, 2014 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  5. Jeff

One less illegal.

April 8, 2014 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. DC Johnny

Isn't it ironic... don't ya think... a little too ironic.... yeah I really do think....

It's like HIS AUUUUUUUUUUNT had a hard time getting in legally.
    It's because THE SOUTHERN BORRRRRRRDER is porous like swiss cheese.
    He WAAAAAAANTED a surge of future illiterate Democrat voters.
    And WHOOOOO would have thought it'd FIGUUUUUURE.

– A. Morissette

April 8, 2014 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. The law

To bad, but send the bill to Wong.. Massachusetts tax payers paid tons for her living in Boston. Also low income housing was taken away from low income people that needed it...

April 8, 2014 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Wade

Just curious id this part of the family he disowned or another part he never mentions? IF he cared about her then Sorry for his loss.

April 8, 2014 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. Daniel Morrissey

Real powerful man we have as President/lead of humanity.. Can't even get his own family moved to another country. Sorry everyone, his rivals didn't make his inadequacies clear enough. Think about it what kind of a man in that place of power can't do something as trivial as moving your body from one place to another.. For everyone working a job maybe its not easy, but someone even remotely close to the Presidency, its nasty that he couldn't have the ability to do this.

April 8, 2014 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Bill Cunnane

One less illegal to deport!

April 8, 2014 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  11. Just Me

And the nation cares? Everyday someone's aunt, cousin, uncle, dad, mom, sister, brother, and other relatives die. I don't see why this is headline news. I can understand Obama Michelle or their children being headline news but HIS AUNT? Really... Wow how stupid a country we have become that this would be headline.

April 8, 2014 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  12. Joan

RIP.... We all have dysfunctional relatives!

April 8, 2014 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  13. Kevin O.

Don't a single one of you bendejos say a word about Obamacare. Show some respect for the dead and bereaved living.

April 8, 2014 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  14. Barry Szafran

As far as I am concerned she was still an illegal ad was only walked through the system by Obama. Anyone else and they would have been sitting in an ICE deportation center.

April 8, 2014 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  15. Chris-E...al

I bet she was a good lady . She was to young to die . We can can go to the moon but have no cancer cure . So unfortunate .

April 8, 2014 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. AlexV

Had Obama had anything to with this. Are any of Obama relatives legal in US prior to his presidency? Why is it only now that this is brought to lite. How much of taxpayer $ went to keep Obama relatives in US?

April 8, 2014 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. matt johnson

I don't care for any of his policies, but I do express my sympathy to our President in losing a loved one. Sorry for your loss.

April 8, 2014 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  18. smdahl

She finally won her immigration case in Federal court when her 1/2 nephew became president?

April 8, 2014 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  19. judy

Who cares?? When my relatives die no one cares.

April 8, 2014 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Zulfikar

My Allah grant her Paradise and my sincerest condolences go out to you and your family.

April 8, 2014 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Andrew

My positive thoughts are sent his way.losing a loved one is never easy.

April 8, 2014 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Home simpson

Could it be a partial pay back for all the women and children obama has murdered with his drones

April 8, 2014 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  23. bill

This is not news, nor does it need to be public. I do not agree with anything he has done as a leader, but a as a person he deserves to be left alone to grieve in peace.

April 8, 2014 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  24. lol123

I don't care.

April 8, 2014 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  25. Osmond

I never get a word from Obama. Take his name out of my life.

April 8, 2014 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |