April 10th, 2014
3 months ago

McAllister urged to resign by top Republicans

Updated 4:35 p.m ET, 4/10/2014

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana called Thursday on Rep. Vance McAllister to resign after surveillance video surfaced showing the married Louisiana congressman kissing an aide in his office.

"Congressman McAllister's behavior is an embarrassment and he should resign," he said in a statement. "He says he wants privacy to work on his issues with his family. The best way to get privacy and work on putting his family back together is to resign from Congress."

Jindal's comment came as the chairman of the Louisiana Republican Party also urged the congressman to step down.

And in Washington, House Speaker John Boehner appeared to criticize the congressman's behavior, saying he's spoken to McAllister and the freshman representative "has a decision to make."

"I expect all members to be held to the highest ethical standards and this is no different," said Boehner, R-Ohio, during his weekly news conference.

Soon after Boehner spoke with reporters, Louisiana GOP chair Roger F. Villere, Jr. issued a statement calling on the embattled congressman to step down, citing McAllister's infidelity as an example of a well-worn hypocrisy in politics.

"A breach of trust of this magnitude can only be rectified by an immediate resignation. He has embarrassed our party, our state and the institution of Congress," Villere said.

"A video showing him engaged in conduct unbecoming a member of Congress, on public time, in a public office, with one of his employees, was the focus of the national press for days," Villere said.

In political extramarital affairs, the mistress rarely emerges unscathed

CNN has reached out to McAllister's congressional office for reaction to Villere's statement, but has yet to receive a response.

McAllister represents Louisiana's 5th Congressional District, which is considered a safe seat for the GOP.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December. The story quickly made national headlines.

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock added. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Peacock noted that McAllister's "apologized to everyone in the world except me."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

CNN's Chis Frates, Curt Devine, Deirdre Walsh, Lisa Desjardins, Steve Brusk, Dana Davidsen, Paul Steinhauser, and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • John Boehner • Louisiana • Vance McAllister
  1. Moderate Sean

"Do as I say, not as I do"....so says this pathetic Congressman.

April 10, 2014 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. TCP/IP

And FSM became an official religion in Poland – go figure !

And his platform was.....

April 10, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Lizzie

So what, President Clinton had sex in the Oval Office, he did NOT resign.

April 10, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. GOP = Greed Over People

He will not resign, just come out with how he has "found Jesus" and how He has become his partner to show him the way to return to the correct path and has now been forgiven by his new life partner.

The GOP will lap it up with a spoon.

April 10, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Lolo

They did not ppush for the lover in Nevada to resign. Please shut up GOP hypocrits.

April 10, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Tampa Tim

Republicans will stand by Vance, just like the WI republicans stood by Bill Kramer all these years. Even senator Ron Johnson was silent on Bill's long record of wrongdoing.

April 10, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. it must be said

Who cares! It was a KISS!!! It is not like he stuck a cigar up her woo-woo ala Slick Willy! Maybe it was the woman who was pursuing HIM? You all do know that happens these days right?

April 10, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Jim Jimson

This guy ran for office saying that he wanted to bring his strong "Christian family values" to Washington.

Is breaking up families an example of what Republicans mean when they talk about "family values"?

April 10, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. radar8

People aren't angry at this guy because he had an affair. They're angry because he goes around preaching about family values and religion. He has no family values and is not religious.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. Wanna cheat on your wife? Fine. Just don't go preaching family values and morals

April 10, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Badley

Yeah all the politicians do it but, Republicans come out all Religious and "Holier than thou" just to get a vote and some sheep are fooled, this in my mind makes its worse....

April 10, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. Laverne

They didn't call for David Vitter's resignation, they are such hypocrites like the rest of the republican clan!! Oh yeah, it is an election year!!!!

April 10, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. GreyMan

If this woman approached him then why didn't his Christian values tell her no?

April 10, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. Congressmockery

Man, he wasted no time in cheating. One month in and he's on video kissing the scheduler. Way to go Christian Congressman!

April 10, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. Dead Bear

You Republicans do realize there is a difference between this man and Bill Clinton, right? Clinton wasn't running on a Conservative Christian/family values platform, now was he? Flawed as he was, the man was not flat out hypocritical such as Vance McAllister has proven himself to be. And Clinton actually did his job while in office, unlike this obstructionist clown.

April 10, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. Gia

Do as I say for you are an immoral sinner – I'm against gays, women, abortion, latinos, everything except white men ... now, excuse me while I slip around the corner and be the biggest hypocrite of all.

April 10, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Gia

Gee, I wonder what would have happened if he had gotten her pregnant...... any ideas anyone or can we go ahead and guess that one?

April 10, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Zeke

Why should he resign. Bill Clinton did a lot more than kissing and the democrats said it was private behavior. Left wing pinkos should not be throwing stones, they live in a glass palace. Hillary was a first class enabler, almost anyone married to her would fool around.

April 10, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. Cwhat'sNew

He should just resign on his own, immediately, if he further has any decency.

April 10, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. Tampa Tim

While republicans run on religion and family values, they sure end up doing a lot of nasty things in the name of Jesus.

April 10, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Bob

But he really is so very very sorry (...that he got caught...).

April 10, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. nickG

lol...and the husband is blaming McAllister

April 10, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. Al

The video showed the kiss, but what the video didnt show was the real action. Please, somebody slap the husband who believe his wife only gave up a kiss!

April 10, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Sniffit

Next up, wifey-poo asks him to resign his position as her husband.

April 10, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. rs

But Mr. Vitter was o.k., right?

April 10, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

That did not take long (sarcasm)...
    Meanwhile....
    I wonder if her husband still thinks that " A kiss was just a kiss, and a sigh was just a sigh..."
    That kiss was a "thanks for boinking my head off" kiss if ever I've had one!
    Don't blame the congressman, you didn't marry him. He owes you nothing.
    Blame your wife.