April 10th, 2014
7 months ago

McAllister urged to resign by top Republicans

Updated 4:35 p.m ET, 4/10/2014

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana called Thursday on Rep. Vance McAllister to resign after surveillance video surfaced showing the married Louisiana congressman kissing an aide in his office.

"Congressman McAllister's behavior is an embarrassment and he should resign," he said in a statement. "He says he wants privacy to work on his issues with his family. The best way to get privacy and work on putting his family back together is to resign from Congress."

Jindal's comment came as the chairman of the Louisiana Republican Party also urged the congressman to step down.

And in Washington, House Speaker John Boehner appeared to criticize the congressman's behavior, saying he's spoken to McAllister and the freshman representative "has a decision to make."

"I expect all members to be held to the highest ethical standards and this is no different," said Boehner, R-Ohio, during his weekly news conference.

"A breach of trust of this magnitude can only be rectified by an immediate resignation. He has embarrassed our party, our state and the institution of Congress," Villere said.

"A video showing him engaged in conduct unbecoming a member of Congress, on public time, in a public office, with one of his employees, was the focus of the national press for days," Villere said.

In political extramarital affairs, the mistress rarely emerges unscathed

CNN has reached out to McAllister's congressional office for reaction to Villere's statement, but has yet to receive a response.

McAllister represents Louisiana's 5th Congressional District, which is considered a safe seat for the GOP.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December. The story quickly made national headlines.

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock added. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Peacock noted that McAllister's "apologized to everyone in the world except me."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

CNN's Chis Frates, Curt Devine, Deirdre Walsh, Lisa Desjardins, Steve Brusk, Dana Davidsen, Paul Steinhauser, and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • John Boehner • Louisiana • Vance McAllister
  1. Steve

Whether McAllister's seat is "safe" for the GOP is entirely beside the point. Sure, he could probably get re-elected. But what's important is that he completely misrepresented himself when he ran in the last election, by portraying himself as a family values sort of guy. He should resign because he misrepresented himself and obviously has no sense of honor or responsibility.

April 10, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

@bobo
    WHY? Did Bill Clinton resign????
    --------–
    No but Clinton was persecuted by Ken Starr at tax payers expense.
    So you think a special prosecutor should badger him at taxpayer expense?

April 10, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Thomas

America , the politics of crack !

April 10, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. DJ in TX

Why is when Mr. Weiner did sexting, no physical contact with anyone, the GOP was all up in arms for him to resign. But I didn't hear Mr. Boehner asking him to resign and no other GOP has stepped up either. Fro instance, Gov Mark Sanford of SC, cheated on his wife, lied to his state, used state funds to go on a trip to be with his mistress. He didn't resign and now he's a sitting Congressman. The GOP did NOT ask not to run because of his unethical actions. But again, when a Dem (Weiner) did his thing, they were up in arms. Be the same for EVERYONE including your own.

April 10, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

Dude assumed office on November 16, 2013? It didn't take him long to learn the forgiveness tour talking points.

"Soon after Boehner spoke with reporters, Louisiana GOP chair Roger F. Villere, Jr. issued a statement calling on the embattled congressman to step down, citing McAllister's infidelity as an example of a well-worn hypocrisy in politics."

Yeah. Nothing spells hypocrisy like electing these self righteous hypocrites over and over again.

April 10, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Ruth

The congress isn't married to him. His wife is the one who needs to apologize to him. This statement is truly idiotic, I really wonder why he is speaking to the media.

April 10, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Scarface86

TM
    When was the lat time any member of the Grand Old Tea Party suffered ANY consequences for cheating? Teabaggers bleat endlessly about "family values", perhaps they should start by honoring their own families before they try condemning anyone else.

--------------------------------------------–
    The Tea Party was established because they felt taxation was out of control, taxed enough already. Get it. Show me a Tea Party rally that is pushing family values.

April 10, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

And to all the "holier than thou" GOP "chri$tians" trying to compare this dalliance to Bill's.

Monica had not vowed to give a man the exclusive right to "tickle her fancy", while Heather had.

Bottom line, Monica was single and Heather was married, see the diff?

April 10, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. max099

I wonder if the Louisiana republican chair said anything to Sen Vitter.

April 10, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. salty dog

Family values at their peak, you didn't seriously think the guy cares who's lives he wrecks, as long as he gets what he wants, definitely a gop trait .

April 10, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Vijay

He will be next Mark Sanford...

April 10, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. Vijay

These guys should lose the eligibility to run for any office...

April 10, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Dave T

"Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video." Does this mean is sorry for the kissing, or sorry that it was on video ?

April 10, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. salty dog

I suspect he's about to get religious again, too funny.

April 10, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. jason

So will the GOP like to extend biblical punishments in this straingt case of adultery

April 10, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. ART

Well scarface86 if that's the reason why the tea party was formed then they don't have a leg to stand on ,since we have one of the lowest tax rates ever. I really thought it was because we elected non white President and the tea baggers needed to voice their bigotry and hatefulness with all the vitriol they could muster.

April 10, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. notogop

Didn't take this good ol'boy very long to learn the perks of his office. May his newly found god forgive him his trespasses. I love the stone casting of his fellow party members. I bet they all have skeletons they want to keep hidden. Vance, the bus is on its way and you are going to be thrown under it.

April 10, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. sonny chapman

Why didn't these same "Fine Christians" call on David Vitter to resign? Jindal's hand picked Sweet Heart Deal Candidate LOST to McAllister. He's still mad.

April 10, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. DC Johnny

@Silence DoGood

Oops. Clinton was "persecuted" because he made a mockery of the power of Congress by intentionally lying under oath. You libs always seem to forget that little tiny detail when you pretend Clinton was impeached for adultery.

---
    Silence DoGood

No but Clinton was persecuted by Ken Starr at tax payers expense.
    So you think a special prosecutor should badger him at taxpayer expense?

April 10, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. DC Johnny

@Vijay

Based on what legal reason? Pretending to be a nice guy and winding up not being a nice guy?

That's a very slippery slope, my friend. It sounds like a great idea, until you think about how abusive that decree can be, when people are suddenly ineligible for office because of random acts deemed "not nice" by Vijay.

------

Vijay

These guys should lose the eligibility to run for any office...

April 10, 2014 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. tired-of-america.com

Pretended to be religious to get elected. Sounds about right.

April 10, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. jason

I feel sorry for the six year old boy....I would not be surprised if he grows up and shoots McAllisters family for ruining his life

April 10, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. MAX

My 14 year old grandson just asked me if I think that he lights his cigars like President Clinton does.

April 10, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. DC Johnny

@GOP = Greed Over People

That's the big difference you see? The fact that both parties were married in this case?

In Bill's case, he knowingly committed perjury before a grand jury. That's the difference you are looking for.

--------

GOP = Greed Over People

Bottom line, Monica was single and Heather was married, see the diff?

April 10, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  25. AW

Just a kiss? I don't think so…

April 10, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |