April 10th, 2014
8 months ago

McAllister urged to resign by top Republicans

Updated 4:35 p.m ET, 4/10/2014

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana called Thursday on Rep. Vance McAllister to resign after surveillance video surfaced showing the married Louisiana congressman kissing an aide in his office.

"Congressman McAllister's behavior is an embarrassment and he should resign," he said in a statement. "He says he wants privacy to work on his issues with his family. The best way to get privacy and work on putting his family back together is to resign from Congress."

Jindal's comment came as the chairman of the Louisiana Republican Party also urged the congressman to step down.

And in Washington, House Speaker John Boehner appeared to criticize the congressman's behavior, saying he's spoken to McAllister and the freshman representative "has a decision to make."

"I expect all members to be held to the highest ethical standards and this is no different," said Boehner, R-Ohio, during his weekly news conference.

Soon after Boehner spoke with reporters, Louisiana GOP chair Roger F. Villere, Jr. issued a statement calling on the embattled congressman to step down, citing McAllister's infidelity as an example of a well-worn hypocrisy in politics.

"A breach of trust of this magnitude can only be rectified by an immediate resignation. He has embarrassed our party, our state and the institution of Congress," Villere said.

"A video showing him engaged in conduct unbecoming a member of Congress, on public time, in a public office, with one of his employees, was the focus of the national press for days," Villere said.

In political extramarital affairs, the mistress rarely emerges unscathed

CNN has reached out to McAllister's congressional office for reaction to Villere's statement, but has yet to receive a response.

McAllister represents Louisiana's 5th Congressional District, which is considered a safe seat for the GOP.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December. The story quickly made national headlines.

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock added. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Peacock noted that McAllister's "apologized to everyone in the world except me."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

CNN's Chis Frates, Curt Devine, Deirdre Walsh, Lisa Desjardins, Steve Brusk, Dana Davidsen, Paul Steinhauser, and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • John Boehner • Louisiana • Vance McAllister
  1. Marie MD

To be fair to the husband of the woman/wife having an affair with the christian values bible thumper, it takes two to tango.
    You can tell he's a teaklan nobody because he's being ousted. If he was somebody else, like Spence, Issa or Gingrich or so many others on the right who cheat and steal, it would have been okay,

April 10, 2014 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

sly

"And, how do you know it wasn't a setup?"
    ======
    Hope it was – sure doesn't change one thing about this slime-buckets integrity. He is a dishonest, corrupt and slimy politician running under a Family Values theme.
    -----------------------------–
    Seeing how the camera was IN HIS OWN OFFICE, it's anyone's guess as to who set him up. If he was a setup, then it was done by someone with a high sense of family values and morals.

April 10, 2014 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. aspblom

All legislators should be kissing strangers in public.

April 10, 2014 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. MarieEricksson

Why bother pushing him to resign? It was stupid but not illegal. Got an election coming up, run someone against him. While McAllister is surely a hypocrite for trading on "Christian values" when he does't really have any just to get elected, his GOP counterparts are no more hypocrites for publicly voicing their request he resign to make themselves look good as well. Bunch of wind bags, all of them!!

April 10, 2014 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. g

Gods work is never done

April 10, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. Brian

Stupid but not illegal. The are many lawmakers who currently hold office who have done the same thing. Even our VP was caught. These politicians should worry about some real issuesand stop making a mountain our of a mole hill.

April 10, 2014 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. danomite

When you talk the talk (family values, Christian, etc...) and you don't walk the walk, you look especially foolish. I hope he doesn't resign, because images from that video will make excellent covers for his Democrat challenger's campaign fliers in next election cycle.

April 10, 2014 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. George Christian

Leave this Congressman alone. I know this guy and he is cool. Even I have cheated my wife many times. So what?

April 10, 2014 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. 1776usa2016

This is a personal matter.

As a progressive, I couldn't care less who this guy kisses. That's his business.

On to more important things, please.

April 10, 2014 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. DonDonInNC

If a politician ever ran a campaign that said, "I cheat on my wife, I drink too much and I don't go to church, but I'll do the best job for you in Washington", that person would get my vote!

April 10, 2014 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. grM

This story is not being covered on Fox news

April 10, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. sammy750

Many Republicans should be resigning as well. They are just hijacking the nation and people while collecting a salary from the tax payers. Boehner, Cantor, Ryan are the real Terrorist of this nation. They must be defeated or they will kill you. They are the real death panel.

April 10, 2014 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake Up
    .... If only the dems stuck together like the GOP....
    -------------------------------------------------
    ...The Dems would be in a much better place right now.
    It is interesting to me to see how ONE Party (yes that would be the Dems) has gone all out to pull this country out of the toilet that "W" left us swirling in and yet they allow these good-for-nothing Rethugs to yank their chain so much.
    Oh well..
    GOP and moral turpitude, it's what's for dinner.

April 10, 2014 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. nevada39

He put himself out there as a god fearing family man, and when he was caught he played the god forgive me card..This is a true liar, do as I say, not as I do kinda guy..you know..a republican..

April 10, 2014 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    I see that you have acquired a "stalker" off his meds shadowing your every post my friend.
    Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

April 10, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Anonymous

I'm not condoning this behavior but the only ones that need to be concerned about this is the families invloved. It's amazing to me that this is news, as if it doesn't happen everyday. I bet if you place a hidden camera in the office of every Congress man in Washington DC, you'd see how common it isfor a man in a position of power, whether it be a Politician, the President of a Bank, or the Manager at a local restaurant, to be tempted to engage in "Relations" with someone he supervises.

April 10, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Barry

This non story gets more coverage from CNN than Leland Yee.

April 10, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. BMc

It's funny to me that once this guy is exposed then all the Holy-than-thou Politicians come out of the woodwork and speak against this man. Some of them probably already knew this was going on. I bet if you were to place a hidden camera in most of their offices, you see alot of the same thing. News Flash: Men in power attract, and are attracted to pretty young ladies working in their offices.

April 10, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. NotJustAKiss

Everyone is talking about this video exposing him. It very well could be that someone in that office wanted to expose HER. Think about it. Every woman in that office knew exactly what was going on. If Mrs. Peacock was getting perks or was being treated differently, it definitely would have ruffled some feathers. Point being, this may not be politically motivated.

On another note, someone wrote that her husband shouldn't divorce her over a kiss. The last time I "just kissed" a girl was Jr. High. Not to be sexist, but the only time a woman kisses a man like that, is when something is about to happen or has just happened. Also notice she initiated it and pulled him into her; meaning she was very comfortable with the relationship.i.e, this is the kiss of an established couple.

April 10, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. gstlab3

funny not one word anywhere on here today about Ms. Learner being held in contempt of congress.,
    or that the A.G. Eric Holder faces the same kind of charges.,
    funny in a bad way like lying by means of omission to manipulate thew dumbed down masses here at cnn.

April 10, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. kdee

Brian @ 4:45pm I don't care if this man fooled around or not, but just because some other politicians have done so doesn't make it right. However your comment that the VP (I assume you mean Biden) was caught being unfaithful is just a lie. Plain and simple. You don't help your cause when you try to smear others with falsehoods. Absolutely disgusting.

April 10, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  22. gstlab3

Learner held in contempt of congress. report that.

April 10, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. John Smyth

What a JOKE.

What is the guy gonna do the second time he gets caught?

April 10, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. gstlab3

you cannot moderate the learner story out of reality cnn.

April 10, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  25. gstlab3

fire and brimstone has got to be coming to cnn for lying to America.

April 10, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |