April 10th, 2014
4 months ago

McAllister urged to resign by top Republicans

Updated 4:35 p.m ET, 4/10/2014

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana called Thursday on Rep. Vance McAllister to resign after surveillance video surfaced showing the married Louisiana congressman kissing an aide in his office.

"Congressman McAllister's behavior is an embarrassment and he should resign," he said in a statement. "He says he wants privacy to work on his issues with his family. The best way to get privacy and work on putting his family back together is to resign from Congress."

Jindal's comment came as the chairman of the Louisiana Republican Party also urged the congressman to step down.

And in Washington, House Speaker John Boehner appeared to criticize the congressman's behavior, saying he's spoken to McAllister and the freshman representative "has a decision to make."

"I expect all members to be held to the highest ethical standards and this is no different," said Boehner, R-Ohio, during his weekly news conference.

Soon after Boehner spoke with reporters, Louisiana GOP chair Roger F. Villere, Jr. issued a statement calling on the embattled congressman to step down, citing McAllister's infidelity as an example of a well-worn hypocrisy in politics.

"A breach of trust of this magnitude can only be rectified by an immediate resignation. He has embarrassed our party, our state and the institution of Congress," Villere said.

"A video showing him engaged in conduct unbecoming a member of Congress, on public time, in a public office, with one of his employees, was the focus of the national press for days," Villere said.

In political extramarital affairs, the mistress rarely emerges unscathed

CNN has reached out to McAllister's congressional office for reaction to Villere's statement, but has yet to receive a response.

McAllister represents Louisiana's 5th Congressional District, which is considered a safe seat for the GOP.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December. The story quickly made national headlines.

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock added. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Peacock noted that McAllister's "apologized to everyone in the world except me."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

CNN's Chis Frates, Curt Devine, Deirdre Walsh, Lisa Desjardins, Steve Brusk, Dana Davidsen, Paul Steinhauser, and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • John Boehner • Louisiana • Vance McAllister
  1. Kevin

This guy should resign in disgrace. Leland Yee? Illegal missile-trafficking? He was only doing his job people! Non-story. Now, back to McAllister. This is juicy.

April 10, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. gstlab3

Learner held in contempt.

April 10, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Shinea

If he were ethical enough to resign, he wouldn't have been cheating on his wife! Recall, dump him, and try again with someone else. What's the big problem?

The only question you should be asking is, am I in his district, can I vote to toss him out.

April 10, 2014 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. patriot00

Grow up people.

Why do we care about what the guy does with his personal life.
    Should we not care more about what he does about his public office.

Tired of what we are becoming. A nation of Taliban.

April 10, 2014 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Can people read? The Lois Lerner story was at the top of the Ticker this morning and yesterday afternoon.

For those saying this is no ones business. I beg to differ. You run on "family values", your party pretends they are holier than the Pope, and you get caught cheating 6 months into your term? Sorry it's everyone's business.

He lied to get elected...just like the rest of the GOP.

April 10, 2014 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  6. MiBigAl

I realize that a lot of men cheat and that doesn't make it OK, but most men don't run for Congress on a "Conservative Christian Family Values " platform and lie to get their constituents to vote for them. Democrats also cheat, they just don't go around claiming to be "holier than thou" to get elected.

April 10, 2014 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. kdee

Seriously gstlab3@ The story about Lois Lerner has been on CNN Trends which is the top 5 stories of the day since this morning. It's not being ignored.

April 10, 2014 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    Lynda Minnesota
    I see that you have acquired a "stalker" off his meds shadowing your every post my friend.
    Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
    --------

Poor Jerry has a fairly shallow life if following me on the ticker is the highlight of his day !!

April 10, 2014 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. JCS

They should ask Newt Gingrich for his opinion.

April 10, 2014 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. kdee

Seriously gstlab3@ The story about Lois Lerner has been on CNN Trends which is the top 10 stories of the day since this morning. It's number 5. It's not being ignored.

April 10, 2014 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. sftommy

He violated his oath to God and his wife.
    Trust his oath taken for public office?
    Why?

April 10, 2014 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. cpc65

Why is he different that any other DC politician? I was going to just say the GOP, then I remembered Bill.

April 10, 2014 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. Rick_BOS

I am a Republican and think this poor excuse for a Congressman needs to resign. What is wrong with the male libido of Congressman ? From Barney (don't bend over in front of him) Franks to Eliot Spitzer (can't keep it in his pants",,, you all are a disgrace to this nation

April 10, 2014 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. MannyMota

To those saying that this does not equate to Bill Clinton, true – Bill did not run on "Christian, family values", but he DID deny – to all of us – that he had affairs with Jennifer Flowers and a few others. He also messed around with Lewinsky while In office (literally) and then lied to us all about that. So, apart from the fact that Clinton was already established in power (either as a governor or later as President) I'm not sure how this doesn't apply equally to him.

April 10, 2014 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. Girly

His wife didn't ruin his life? She is not innocent in all this. They were both to blame they both lied and cheated. But her husband seems to want attention.

April 10, 2014 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. Bill Davis

Bill Clinton needed to resign, Weiner, and many others..,
    Barney Frank Also...

April 10, 2014 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. GOP = Greed Over People

Ok, now Jindal is piling on.

This makes one wonder why is Jindal opening his pie hole over this kiss, yet said nada when Vitter admitted dipping his pen into a paid inkwell and Jefferson hid 100K of laundered funds in his freezer and was later sentenced to jail time, and again, Jindal was silent.

Is 3 acts that are contrary to "family values", the de facto limit in Louisiana?

April 10, 2014 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  18. eenlsdad

Come on now! We all know he was just exercising his religious belief of what Christian's deem is appropriate behavior regarding the SANCTITY of marriage!!!,Hypocrite!!!!

April 10, 2014 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  19. American

The party of family values strikes again.

April 10, 2014 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. John

Why should he resign, Clinton did much worse when president and lied about it. Clinton didn't have the integrity it took to admit his mistake and resign, why should anyone else?

April 10, 2014 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Craig

"I expect all members to be held to the highest ethical standards and this is no different," said Boehner.

Umm nope. Even reasonable – not highest – would likely include things like voting on proposals, representing or at least attempting to represent the people who elected them, and stuff like that. In short, the House GOP hasn't been ethical in a long time, and blaming everything on "that Black man in the White House" isn't ethical either. For the record, the People elected him, and it's up to you to deal with that. If you don't like it, try finding a candidate that cares about the people and has some ethics and principles beyond greed.

April 10, 2014 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  22. lol

The whole party is an embarrassment and should resign.

April 10, 2014 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  23. bp

Give McAllister a break. Hypocrisy is a core Christian value ("God is all-powerful, and he NEEDS YOUR MONEY!").

April 10, 2014 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  24. Suzie

Ah, HE didn't destroy his marriage.....SHE did.

April 10, 2014 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Humbrrto

He had his boots on, didn't he.

April 10, 2014 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |