Pelosi suggests Republicans not acting on immigration because of race
April 10th, 2014
4 months ago

Pelosi suggests Republicans not acting on immigration because of race

Washington (CNN) - House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi suggested House Republicans were blocking action on immigration reform because of racial issues.

"I think race has something to do with the fact that they're not bringing up an immigration bill," Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference Thursday.

Referring to GOP members, Pelosi added, "I've heard them say to the Irish, 'If it was just you, this would be easy.'"

Pelosi was responding to a question about Attorney General Eric Holder's remarks at a civil rights event suggesting congressional Republicans treated him and President Obama differently than others who have held their positions. The Democratic Leader sidestepped whether she believed race was a factor in the GOP's posture, but said of congressional Republicans, "generally speaking they are disrespectful to the representatives of the President's administration, very disrespectful."

Michael Steel, spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, didn't directly respond to Pelosi citing race, but insisted the House isn't moving forward on immigration legislation because Republicans don't trust the President to carry out the laws in place now.

"The Speaker has said again and again he wants to address the broken immigration system. The problem right now is that we have too many examples of the President not enforcing current laws," Steel told CNN.

Filed under: Congress • Immigration • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I'm beginning to loathe this site.... Seriously.

April 10, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

@Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    I could care less what the GOP, the posters here or the MSM says. The disrespect shown this POTUS, FLOTUS, and AG is blatantly obvious unless you don't want to see it. I will work tirelessly to ensure my people are informed about which party gives a damn if they live or die.

Take our country back!
    Put the white back in the White House!
    Don't reneg!
    Give me a damn break!
    ------------–
    Thanks – I was going to start quoting them but there are so many. And there are many so blatant that you cannot post them here. Anyone who doesn't see this is a denier of reality. Although the ones I really despise are those who put out a veiled reference (Romney did this a lot) or sit by like Palin and others as they watch the racist signs go by. They feign ignorance while fanning the flames.

April 10, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Michigan patriot

Please, stop the race issue, come up with things that make sense. Oh, sorry what can we expect of Pelosi , she always looks like she hit her head or she is on drugs.

April 10, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I do know one thing, I would appreciate it if Tom I stopped trying to speak for black people. I'm sick and tired of his BS false equivalence crap. You don't think blacks need help? Well we do. We want the same opportunities whites get. But we don't get them. How many black CEO's do you know of? I think I read less than 1% are black! The company that I work for right now has almost 1,000 employees and not one white collar black, except myself! That's right out of 8 buildings, I'm the only black person in the office. You wanna guess what color the people that clean the toilets are??

April 10, 2014 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. rs

Tom l

rs,
    Just curious why you feel that African Americans need "assistance". Why do say that? Are they not able to take care of themselves? There inlies the difference. You look at African Americans as different Americans rather than just Americans.

Also, what voting rights are being taken away from African Americans? Clearly, you don't think that they can even get an ID. Why do you have such low standards for them?
    ______________________
    Ever hear of the U.S. Census old chap? Lottsa useful and interesting data- go look and get an education. As to voting, why do the Republican-inspired "purges" seem to only affect the poor and the elderly? Any ideas? Mobility and income perhaps?
    You lack of reality is starting to become alarming Tom.

April 10, 2014 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. just saying

well, pelosi make it pretty clear the democrat party is the party that supports criminals over its own citizens. the democrat party has no interest in protecting our borders or our country from a total illegal invasion of this country. what other country on the planet doesn't guard its borders and refuses to deport every single illegal caught in their country? none.

all these claims of obama deporting records numbers is a total crock of bs. obama has stopped the growth in the deportation numbers. They were steadily climbing every year until he took office, now they have stopped. it has now been disclosed they release 75% of the illegals they do arrest. how insane is that? and you get leftist clowns in here saying it isn't possible or would cost too much. well we are already paying to catch them and then we let them go!!

democrats are the party of criminals pure and simple. the hard working american taxpayer is who they despise, because they can not play them like others. they just steal their paychecks from them in order to give it to their criminal friends and supporters.

April 10, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – Take Back the House
    Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    What happened to freedom of speech lil Fox?
    --------––
    I know right. You must be getting censored just like me.
    ---------

And me.

April 10, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. Chris-E...al

It seems to immigrate illegally would be something we all could agree is wrong and is not good for our great nation . We need those jobs and we sent many jobs south it seems like a lose lose to many of us . theres no profit in this and being nice dont pay the bills .

April 10, 2014 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. Tom l

I will repeat what I have said often. Racism is not going away there will always be people that look at race. It's a fact of life. I will also stand by my principles of what is right. I don't give a rip what a repub or a dem say. I care what's right. I don't believe in this day and age that African Americans need the same type of assistance that they used to 50 years ago. Are we perfect? No. but we now have an African-American who is president of United States of America. I don't look at race as a factor anymore. I have never said that I speak for African-Americans, I speak for myself. I believe in common sense and the fact that it is not difficult to get an ID when it comes to voting. Is there and a total anecdotal evidence that some people might have a tough time getting an ID? Of course. It is time to move forward and acknowledge the progress that our country has made. It is time to stop living in the past.

It is time to unite as Americans. It is time to recognize what the politicians are doing to all of us. I am shocked that so many intelligent people like those on this board don't recognize the disgusting behavior and disgusting divisiveness of both parties. All for the desire of votes.

April 10, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Reggie53

Wake Up: Maybe you like the handouts then so you are caught in the web of freebies. I am speaking for strong black women and men who can do it on their own and do not the affirmative action to get a job. We can do it on our own and live well because we know what it is to work and make your own living. And yes, I am black and very proud of it but I do not need or want the democrat handouts!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Tom l

There is no better movie quote than the one in Guess who's Coming to Dinner" with Sydney Poitier. In that movie he tells his father "you look at your self as a black man. I look at myself as a man."

April 10, 2014 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Silence DoGood

@Michigan patriot
    ----------
    (hyperbole alert)
    OK – let's just stop the race issue. And the war issue and the drug abuse issue and the poor issue and the sickness and disease issue and the violence issue and the crime issue....
    That's it – let's just stop the issues. Wow – that was so easy! Why didn't anyone think of that before?

April 10, 2014 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

Reggie53
    -------------------------------–
    Unless you grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth, your family got some sort of handout. So save your breath. Not everyone, black, white & hispanic were born fortunate.

April 10, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"the democrat party has no interest in protecting our borders or our country from a total illegal invasion of this country"

Is that why Obama sets records for deportations, deporting more than anyone ever has and only slightly less than Congress provides funding for?
    Is that why Obama has increased border patrol to its highest levels in history?
    Is that why Obama has put more new tech, including drones, to use on the border than ever in our history?
    Is that why Obama prioritized deportation of violent criminal offenders who are here illegally AND still is setting records?
    Is that why this bipartisan Senate bill contains provisions for a $3B dollar "danged fence"?
    Is that why this bipartisan Senate bill contains provisions that will DOUBLE the number of border patrol?
    Is that why this bipartisan Senate bill contains provisions for even more tech and equipment to be sent to the border?
    Is that why this bipartisan Senate bill contains provisions that would require illegal immigrant who want to become citizens to pay all sorts of fines and every cent of back taxes if they want to become citizens?
    Is that why this bipartisan Senate bill contains provisions that make the process of becoming a citizen if you're here illegally take THIRTEEN YEARS?

Please, do tell...let us know all the facts that lead you to believe your talking points are complete nonsense.

April 10, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"Racism is not going away there will always be people that look at race. It's a fact of life. "

What a copout. So we're supposed to tolerate in our governmental institutions? Nope. Sorry, tom, but you're what's known as an "enabler."

April 10, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

It would be great to unite as Americans, but the simple fact remains that petty, provincial politicians who are claiming to represent our values, the Constitution, etc, go out of their way to ridicule and marginalize people for the purpose of getting those votes. Those same people also ridicule and attack anyone who wants to maintain a social safety net as being " caught in the web of freebies". None of us knows what will happen to us tomorrow: we could all end up out in the street through no fault of our own, and those " freebies" may be the only things that keep you going as you look for a job. No one wants a handout, no one wants a less-than-ideal job, but sometimes we have to take things we don't want or need to survive. Only peoples' arrogance and blinkered ideology keep folks from recognizing that it could be them out in the street next day, despite knowing what it is to work and make your own living.

April 10, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Sniffit

correction haha: "Please, do tell...let us know all the facts that lead you to believe your talking points are NOT complete nonsense."

April 10, 2014 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. Marie MD

Ya think? Duh!
    I wonder how many Canadiansnd, Europeans, Australians, etc., are here illegally it since they don't look "not like us" it's okay.
    Here in the DC area you can't tell until you hear them speaking to each other in a foreign language. Then again, not everyone who looks "different" is illegal either.

April 10, 2014 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. Sniffit

Aaaaah, the talk of an "enabler."

April 10, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Tom l wrote:

-----------------------------–
    We pass a law that requires everyone to wear seat belts, and highway deaths drop dramatically. Now that highway deaths have dropped to near zero, we do not need the seat belt lawm, anymore. Let's get rid of it.

Assistance, tom? Is that what you call laws that make it illegal to discrimminate because of race? Assistance?

April 10, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Reggie for your information I don't need or receive any handouts. What I would like is to see blacks with the same opportunities as whites. If you don't see AA being needed, shame on you. AA is not a handout, it's a lousy attempt of evening the playing field. Not that it matters. I am a very strong hard working black woman, as are many that I know. But hard work doesn't matter sometimes. The company I work for is full of incompetent whites that are afraid to lift a finger that got their jobs due to nepotism.

April 10, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. smith

Pelosi is trying to fire up the liberal base and most liberals will buy this tagline. About a decade ago we protest where people holding signs calling Bush a nazi, Hitler, satan, etc and liberals were silent.Now, liberals are all up arms when some moron does the exact same thing. It`s really funny to see some of these folks screaming racist when those same people were on the ticker making bigoted comments about the jewish community. Rodney King was mentioned earlier, what about Steve Utash?

April 10, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. Patriot

Reggie53 does not speak for any black person other then himself, if in fact he is actually black ....no one else, except Clarence Thomas, Michael Steele and their ilk. Certainly not for me or any black person I know.

April 10, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. anonymous

heck, half of obama's family is living in this country illegally and collecting all sorts of government assistance, aka government stolen tax payer wages. some for decades and even after they were caught and told to leave. any wonder why he doesn't want to stop the illegal alien problem?

April 10, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. just saying

and yet 75% of the illegals they catch in this country every year, are let go to walk the streets again. why is that? that is why we have an illegal alien problem in this country. we have a government that simply refuses to enforce the laws of this nation.

why should we believe that any new laws will be enforced? we have already been snookered by the democrats on this back in the 80's. millions were granted amnesty, and did they stop the flow of millions more and enforce our laws? nope. why do the very same thing again? democrats think we are all stupid and don't remember their lies from the 80's amnesty.

April 10, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |