Bloomberg says no, again, to 2016
April 16th, 2014
7 months ago

Bloomberg says no, again, to 2016

(CNN) - As Michael Bloomberg pledged to put $50 million behind his new gun control efforts, the billionaire and former three-term New York City mayor also made something else very clear: He's not interested in running for the White House.

"No is the answer. Plain and simple," Bloomberg said Wednesday morning on NBC's "Today," after he was asked if he has plans to launch a 2016 presidential campaign.

"I'm going to spend the rest of my life trying to make a better world for myself, for my kids, for my grandchildren."

The Democrat turned Republican turned independent has repeatedly denied having any ambitions to run for president.

Filed under: 2016 • Michael Bloomberg
  1. Donna

Great! Start by going away and stop trying to run others lives with your nutty liberal ideas? We don't need your soda cup size limits or your stinking trampling of our 2nd Amendment rights. Why not give your money to the poor that you obviously stole it from according to your leftist comrades?

April 16, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. smith

Some of the best news I`ve heard all day. I`ll enjoy watching him throw away his money on gun control efforts.

April 16, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. just saying

bloomberg... the arrogant, elitist face of the know it all democrat party that only cares about controlling your life. please stop wasting your money trying to take away my second amendment rights. aren't there people in africa that need drugs, water, food? isn't that a better use for it?

April 16, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. rs

Donna

_________________
    Ummmm, Donna, if you care to check, you'll see that Bloomberg ran as a Republican during his 3 terms as the Mayor of NYC.

April 16, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. tom l

Sniffit

"Judging by the silence I guess 50 million is ok if he's on your side."

Yawn. All the distinctions don't matter when you're desperate to try to arrive at a false positive for hypocrisy, eh?
    =====

Enlighten me on this one, big guy. Let me be abundantly clear that I have no problem with him doing this as it's his money and he can do whatever he wants with it. I should repeat that so that there is no misunderstanding nor misrepresentation of what I'm saying. It's his money and he can put it towards whatever he wants to.

What I find so odd about the silence is that I have been told time and again by you and the rest of the gang that there should be limits as to how much one can contribute to a political cause. That's it. So have at it and tell me how THIS is ok because _________________. There is no false positive here. Here is big money going in to influence a political position. That's all it is. There are no nuances. There are no distinctions. That's all it is.

April 16, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

(hyperbole alert)
    Oh no – let's go with Rick's idea. No training and let's cut out college and all science and math in school to since training is so unimportant. I mean a good portion of conservatives want evolution and other science gone already.

Then we'll be ready to complete with the rest of the world's trained workforce as flat-earthers. Maybe the bright engineers from Asia can help us fix up our caves and shacks if we are nice to them. I hope they understand our grunting noises
    -------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Silence I needed that laugh!
    @ Lynda Minnesota
    Sounds like your houseguest would fit in perfectly with the usual suspects (read:haters) on this site who take even the death of the President's aunt to spill their bilious, and baseless vitriol.
    I would like to take this opportunity (if this gets posted) to co-sign Think Again's post to you. He/she is 100% correct in saying that you would be playing into the GOPers hand if you bailed on this site permanently. Imagine the poor schmuck left to absorb only what these rwnj's have to spew with no one posting the truth to balance out their muck?
    So you go ahead and take a well deserved psyche refreshing break...but come back.

April 16, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Silence DoGood

At least he is standing up for what he believes in his heart and being open about what he is giving money for instead of skulking around with money in secret "grass-roots" simulations like the Koch Bros.

April 16, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Donna
    We don't need your soda cup size limits
    -------------------------------------------------
    Oh-oh!
    Hell just froze over.
    We're in agreement on this one.

April 16, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. The REAL Truth...

@just saying – bloomberg... the arrogant, elitist face of the know it all democrat party
    --------------------------
    Can you say alternate reality bubble boy.. Bloomberg was a Republican before he ran as an independent.. the du mb ing down of the right wing electorate continues unabated.

April 16, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  10. Silence DoGood

@just saying
    ---------
    He should send the money to Africa right after the NRA sends their lobby money to Africa.
    Someone has to stand up to the minority opinions of the NRA 5 million (exaggerated) vs 300 million Americans.

April 16, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Donna

_________________
    -------------------------------------------------
    rs please stop inserting facts that totally destroy Donna's narrative!

April 16, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Bill from GA

Georgia has the opposite of gun control: The state legislature just passed the most ridiculous gun laws imaginable.

The laws allow one to carry a gun to church and in bars. Even if you are a convicted felon and can't legally own a gun, a law officer is not allowed to ask you for your concealed-carry permit. If that felon kills someone, he is stilled protected by the 'stand your ground' law.

If these laws are signed by our governor, be warned. Atlanta has many conventions, and you come at your own risk. Our state tries to sell itself as a vacation spot, with Atlanta, the beautiful mountains and coast, and generally a great place, but the gun nuts have taken over the government. Be Warned!

April 16, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Tony D

Silence DoGood

As are the Koch brothers.

April 16, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama:
    @ Lynda Minnesota
    -----------

The entire weekend was an eye-opener for sure. I'd just come off the week having spent the week with my grandson whose mom and dad had enjoyed a well deserved vacation away from home giving me sunshine for the pleasure of being with the little guy. Then to have to spend the weekend listening to the political crap was a downer and not appreciated.

Ah, well. It's his life and his family (the newest member who needs (his words, not mine) to be deprogrammed before she is welcome in his house.

So, yeah. It's getting deep. Too deep. But, I've so enjoyed our time together on the ticker with you and so many others.

I'll try. That's as good as I can manage at this time. ; )

April 16, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. Tampa Tim

It would be nice to find out how much money the Kochs are spending nationally on local school board elections, to get people elected who are anti teacher organization. They have their dirty carbon based money in everything.

April 16, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. Silence DoGood

@Tony D
    Silence DoGood

As are the Koch brothers.
    --------
    Koch Bros. – like the campus campaign to keep young people from signing up for the ACA to sabotage that without identifying themselves until they were exposed? That kind of open?

April 16, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |