Obama, Biden announce millions for job training
April 16th, 2014
6 months ago

Obama, Biden announce millions for job training

Oakdale, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Hoping to help close the gap between workers' skills and the needs of businesses, President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced he's putting hundreds of millions toward job training programs that produce highly skilled workers.

“When it comes to training our workers, not all of today's good jobs require a four-year college degree, but I promise there's not a job out there that's going to pay a lot if you don't have some sort of specialized training,” Obama said. “So our best bet is keeping ahead in the skills race and you see what happens when we put effort into making sure workers have new skills, the education that's required for this 21st century economy.”

Joined by Vice President Joe Biden at the announcement at a community college outside of Pittsburgh, the President said while the economy has been improving, there is still more work to be done for those who are unemployed and those who are underemployed.

“America's got a choice to make. We can do nothing, which is the strategy that some folks in Washington seem to have or we can do what we've always done best. We pull together, we fight back, and we win,” the President said.

The funding will come in two parts: $500 million toward a new job training competition that pairs community colleges with businesses, and $100 million for new apprenticeship programs to train workers.

The White House says the new initiatives are meant to combat a long-standing problem facing the American job market: how to fill job vacancies requiring skills few Americans have.

High-growth sectors like information technology, high-tech services, healthcare and advanced manufacturing all require workers with specific sets of training. Many in those fields say they can't find enough American workers with the required skills, forcing them to find workers overseas.

The President first announced during this year's State of the Union address that he wanted Biden to lead an administration-wide task force to examine how Americans can better train for jobs. Since then the vice president has met with CEOs and business executives and visited job training centers in New York and New Hampshire.

Community colleges are another area the vice president has placed his job-creating focus. His wife Jill teaches part-time at a community college outside Washington. His trip on Wednesday also something of a homecoming for the Pennsylvania-born Biden.

The jobs effort is one aspect of Obama's so-called "year of action," during which the President has used executive actions on issues where Congress has been gridlocked.

The administration hopes the competition announced Wednesday will spur colleges and industry leaders to work more closely in developing skilled workers who could begin work when their training is finished. They also hope companies will design programs to help entry-level workers advance within ranks.

Officials also said the apprenticeship push would help place skilled workers in more jobs, since nearly all apprentices – 87% – find employment when their training is complete.

Filed under: Jobs • Pennsylvania • President Obama
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rick McDaniel

Training is meaningless without jobs........which recent college graduates will attest to.

Get the jobs first, and then train the workers. Putting the cart before the horse, is simply STUPID
    -------------------------------------------------
    Tell us, please, how they are supposed to get the jobs if they don't have the trainining?
    This has got be one of your most stupid posts, and that's saying a lot.
    Get the jobs first then train.....jeez.

April 16, 2014 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. Tampa Tim

Say what –
    Shutdown Cost $24 Billion, According to Standard & Poor's. TIME.com. Here's How Much The Government Shutdown Cost The Economy. That's according to an estimate from Standard & Poor's.
    Here's How Much The Government Shutdown Cost ... – Politics – Time
    swampland.time.com/.../heres-what-the-government-shutdown-cost-the-eco...
    You are welcome.

April 16, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. Say what???

Malory Archer
    Say what???
    Tampa Tim
    $24 billion was wasted in a government shutdown

Can you please quantify this ridiculous claim? Government workers got a paid vacation. Where was $24 "wasted"? You make no sense.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Yeah, except that $24B about a whole lot more than government workers getting paid. Are you REALLY this obtuse or are you just playing for the rightwing base?

April 16, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Stuffitu

Please tell me that the rumor I heard about the Obama cartel being in negotiations to bail Detroit Out of the mess that the democrat liberal "progressives" and their partners in crime, the corrt unions is not true.

April 16, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Tampa Tim

Say what – Read the article and the dozens of other articles. I do not supply Cliff Notes for you.

April 16, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Gunderson

Whazzat?
    Education? None of that on here. Old Gunderson wonder what Obama did with money he had for books? Don't we already have Education plan? No, I guess not. Why anyone want work anyway. It cut in to my welfare check. All together now, Nanny State, Nanny state, Nanny State!!!

April 16, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. Gurgyl

–ria, so you don't want money spend on job-training, you want to spend on Wars, send millions to Pakistan.... Just get educated, lady, finish high school. God bless.

April 16, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. rs

Rick McDaniel

_______________________
    What about your precious rich ones? Aren't they the "job creators"? They've been on the dole since 2000 at the tune of about a $1 trillion per year (average).... why won't they make jobs? Could it be the GOP's "Cut-Taxes-AND-Spend" doesn't work? At all?

April 16, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Do your own research.
    Here's a hint: loss in revenue.

April 16, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. rs

Say what???

Malory Archer
    Say what???
    Tampa Tim
    $24 billion was wasted in a government shutdown

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

_______________________________
    No secret at all: lost revenues, fines, penalties, lost tourism, lost sales, loss of economic activity (for 1.8 million out of work). Pretty much anything that required federal license to operate shut down.
    Too bad the GOP can't think about this stuff before their little tantrums- over taking away the program designed to get Americans health insurance no less.

April 16, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Well my sisters I too have decided once again to take a break from this madness. It has become painfully obvious that this is becoming the nu Faux Noise. I've seen nothing but the most rabid, hateful comments posted lately. And anytime someone says something back they're zapped. I can't even say GM, that gets zapped. Reading the last comments from the birther topic was enough for me. My sisters I will miss you dearly. Along with the other good, intelligent people that comment here. But I have to leave because soon I will be as rabid as they are. And that's not how I was raised or who I am. I'm typing this now, knowing it will more than likely be zapped but I wanted to say hi. I'll stop in from time to time to read the comments at least until I kick the habit. It was a good run and at one time I adored this site. Not anymore, they've even turned me away from every single one of their news shows. I will never watch them again.

Winter was back yesterday but Spring is right around the corner. Stay safe ladies I'll miss you dearly.

W.U.P!

April 16, 2014 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. ghostwriter

As a person in IT, who has either been gainfully employed or worked as a independent contractor/consultant during this entire recession.....anyone who thinks this is stupid probably is still using XP.

As we speak, companies like Google and Microsoft are scheming to bring in more HB-1 visas.....because they can't find "good" help here. I believe it's a mix between finding "good" help and finding "cheaper" help. But we can help with that equation by putting out more folks in tech courses.

April 16, 2014 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. Sniffit

"So can you please tell me where this $24 billion number comes from? You didn't answer that simple question. Is it top secret or something?"

If you are incapable of using Google, then you fail horribly at internetz.

April 16, 2014 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Silence DoGood

@Dominican mama 4 Obama
    Rick McDaniel

-----------------
    This has got be one of your most stupid posts, and that's saying a lot.
    Get the jobs first then train.....jeez.
    ----------–
    (hyperbole alert)
    Oh no – let's go with Rick's idea. No training and let's cut out college and all science and math in school to since training is so unimportant. I mean a good portion of conservatives want evolution and other science gone already.

Then we'll be ready to complete with the rest of the world's trained workforce as flat-earthers. Maybe the bright engineers from Asia can help us fix up our caves and shacks if we are nice to them. I hope they understand our grunting noises.

April 16, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  15. Bill from GA

An article in the Atlanta newspaper today mentions Georgia businesses, such as Home Depot, having to bring in technology workers from out of state to fill jobs.

We have plenty of tech schools in Georgia, but they may not be teaching up to date skills. In the county where I live, if the instructor knew COBOL, that is what they would teach, even in 2001.

Also, tech schools are having to spend too much time with unprepared high school grads. In an IT program I was in around 1990, three out of four who started dropped out before the end.

So, the question I have is: Is this another feel-good spending program or are we going to address some of the underlining issues of our education system, not to mention the culture where learning is just not valued so much by a large part of our youth?

April 16, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. DRAKE MALLARD

How do you get work experience when no one wants to give you the first opportunity?

'Nearly half of working Americans with college degrees are in jobs for which they're overqualified

April 16, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Fair is Fair

ghostwriter

-------–
    My husband has been an IT guy for 33 years now. The H1-B visas are just the tip of the iceberg... those are onshore, and the pay rates for the folks filling those are nearly on par. But for every 1 of those, there are several offshore workers making maybe $15 an hour (as opposed to $40 – $50 per hour). It's ALL about the cheap labor.

April 16, 2014 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. smith 1

we need programs like this to keep us current in the world. To bad the repos don't seem to understand this.

April 16, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. Gurgyl

-–24 billion dollar loss is from the people that want to visit Yellowstone national park, Grand Canyon national park, from post Office, from federally operated businesses, is this simple–you want more????? Just accept the arrogance, shut down, and shut up.

April 16, 2014 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

W.U.P.!
    I'm being zapped...
    We will miss you my sister, but we completely understand.
    No longer is this a place where you can get "fair and balanced'. It is up to us to keep it that way.
    We will continue to show up here in your stead and fight the good fight.
    I hope that you're just in need of regrouping, refreshing, reloading and then rejoining us!!
    We will keep the light on for you!
    Yes we can and yes the hell we did...TWICE!!!!

April 16, 2014 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Bill from GA

" some of the underlining issues " should have been " some of the underlying issues "

April 16, 2014 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

ghostwriter
    -------------------------------------------------
    I posted the exact same thing ghostwriter, but you went on to elaborate about the "cheaper help" abroad aspect.
    Folks need to go to tech school.
    I also firmly believe that we need to stop being one of the few, if not the ONLY, industrialized countries in the world where it s perfectly acceptable for our citizens NOT to speak more than one language.
    We need to get away from the arrogant frame of mind that everyone else in the world should learn how to speak English
    to accomodate US.

April 16, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Wake Up:

"I'll stop in from time to time to read the comments at least until I kick the habit. It was a good run and at one time I adored this site"

As will I. That being said, this is the 5th time I've tried to post today. It is likely that I'll not be back. I full heartedly agree with your comment above.

@ Dominican mama:

It was great to catch you here today. As always ... be well my friend.

April 16, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  24. bobo

OK... so you get trained.... For What? What jobs are out there? Can we please do the right things to get the economy Rolling strong again???
    It sucks to have to wait until 2017 to get the economy rolling, but Obama will never do the right things and Hillary will just extent the misery!

April 16, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Gurgyl
    Just accept the arrogance, shut down, and shut up.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Lol!
    May I "borrow" that please Gurgyl?
    I like it so much better than my 'sit down and shut up'!

April 16, 2014 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |