April 17th, 2014
7 months ago

Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant with first child

(CNN) – Chelsea Clinton announced Thursday that she is expecting her first child.

The only daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former secretary of state Hillary Clinton made the announcement while sharing the stage with her mother at a women's event in New York.

"Marc and I are very excited that we have our first child arriving later this year," Chelsea said at the end of the event.

"And I certainly feel all the better whether it's girl or a boy that she or he will grow up in a world full of so many strong, young female leaders. So thank you for inspiring me and thank you for inspiring future generations."

Clinton added: "I just hope I will be as good a mom to my child and hopefully children as my mom was to me."

Clinton married Marc Mezvinsky in 2010.

While a spokesperson for Clinton and Mezvinsky declined to answers questions about the due date, how long the couple knew about the pregnancy and why they chose to make the announcement at this event, they did say the baby is coming in the fall.

"Chelsea and Marc are very excited to be expecting their first child in the fall," the spokesperson said. "They have been blessed with incredibly supportive, loving families and can't wait to be parents themselves."

In an October interview with Glamour, Clinton said the couple wants "to start a family."

"So we decided we were going to make 2014 the Year of the Baby," Clinton said.

Equally important to the plan, she told the reporter: "Call my mother and tell her that. She asks us about it every single day."

Clinton talked about her mother's impatience for grandchildren in a 2012 Vogue interview, saying they were thinking about starting a family in "a couple of years."

Bill Clinton congratulated his daughter on the announcement, and he and his wife celebrated their new titles.

Jenna Bush Hager, the daughter of former President George W. Bush and Laura Bush, who gave birth to a baby girl last April, welcomed Clinton to the world of motherhood on twitter.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • New York
  1. Addison

Thank you also Chelsea for setting the example and getting married first and then getting pregnant. You had a great upbringing in part because you had two parents contributing to your life.

April 17, 2014 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. Edwin

Clearly it is big news for the families involved, but I don't see why it is really worth a news story. I mean, good for her - but I don't really care much, one way or the other.

April 17, 2014 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

Congratulations – raising kids is the hardest, most rewarding work in the world!

April 17, 2014 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. JohnathanA

Congratulations to Chelsea and Marc!

April 17, 2014 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  5. Welcome home

Children are a blessing.. Get some sleep now!

April 17, 2014 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. Carol

Congratulations. This child will grow up to be a productive member of the U.S.!

April 17, 2014 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. Externa labady

Be happy you will be
    A good mom hope we meet love externa

April 17, 2014 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. Retired Navy and proud patriot

Congrats to Chelsea and her husband and may your new pregnancy be trouble free. I just wonder why the Progressive left couldn't respect Palin's children with equal respect. Actually I do know why but lets see if they can figure it out.

April 17, 2014 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  9. 2L

Congrats to everyone!!

April 17, 2014 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  10. Chris

Welcome to the toughest and best job you've ever had! Mazel tov!

April 17, 2014 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  11. Scott

Is this really News? Come on! The nation is falling apart around our ears and we're being told about Chelsea Clinton's pregnancy as a lead story in National News. Give me a break! Where are the real reporters of yesteryear?

April 17, 2014 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  12. Thomas

I wish her and her baby the best of luck and health.

April 17, 2014 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. bellenoitr

Congratulations to Chelsea & Marc.. Hopefully, Chelsea will follow in the footprints of her parents.

April 17, 2014 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. Demigod Vadik, CA

Congrats to Chelsea and the Clinton Family...

...we welcome the New to be President of the United States with eager anticipation...

...I hope I am alive in 45 years when I will get to vote for another Clinton...

April 17, 2014 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Logical Thinker

She is not quoted as saying she is pregnant, just that their first child is "arriving" later this year. In fact, the article doesn't even say she is pregnant, only the headline.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Very observant Logical Thinker, but even for CNN that would be pretty low and misleading.
    Then again people are calling this site Fox Jr. and Fox Lite so one never knows.
    Lol! Wink.

April 17, 2014 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. Mdl

well I'll be dipped in shite the US of A has been blessed with another Clinton, well isn't that just peachy!

April 17, 2014 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. Namelinda

I am so happy for Chelsea and Former President Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary. God bless this new addition to the family.

April 17, 2014 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  18. Naes

A woman getting pregnant isn't news. Chelsea Clinton isn't an elected official. She isn't a celebrity in the sense that she acts or sings. The real headline should for CNN should be: "Ruling Class get heir"

April 17, 2014 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. Friday ugochukwu

I thank God for her life, wishes her a very save delivering.

April 17, 2014 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  20. josh

Congratulations!

April 17, 2014 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. Name

Congrats.

April 17, 2014 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. Neil

Wonder if the 88th president will be a boy or a girl?

April 17, 2014 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Hillary 2016

.....AWESOME! :)

April 17, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. maggie

glad she's fitting the little one in before grandma runs for prez again. expect them on campaign trail! ...hang on....let the kid run for prez....can you just hear it? "Grandma and I are campaigning to legislate for unlimited play dates....

April 17, 2014 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  25. Pete/Ark

'bout damn time ...Bill is a year older than I am and our daughters met at the age of 4 ...my granddaughter is 13 now ... anyway , I wish Chelsea a lot of luck ,she will now spend a lot of years seeing all the things she did wrong as a child ...keep a sense of ironic humor ...

April 17, 2014 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |