Land Rights
April 18th, 2014
8 months ago

What made Nevada rancher fight the feds?

Washington (CNN) – When the Bureau of Land Management retreated from a standoff with Cliven Bundy, a few hundred people traveled to his Nevada ranch to protest what they see as an overreach of the federal government.

One protester from neighboring Utah, Stephen L. Dean, 45, called the Bureau of Land Management's actions "tyranny in government." And a banner at the protest site blared: "Has the West been won? Or has the fight just begun!"

FULL STORY

Filed under: Nevada
  1. 2_indy1600

DIdn't Harry Greed already have to return campaign money diverted to his daughter recently? Chinese solar plants will eventually go in, because BHO wants it that way. You'll be paying for your neighbor's solar panels with your brand new "smart meters" and if you own a gun, you'll soon be a "terrorist." Does anyone really doubt what they see in front of their own eyes? Thank you, Waco BIll, for destroying our freedoms. The feds will perform another mass execution, if necessary.

April 18, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Marie MD

While we all pay taxes this rancher doesn't and he has militia big little organ makes helping him.
    Try not paying taxes see what happens. The teaklans would be the first ones coming to vet you.

April 18, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. Thomas

If you use BLM land you must pay a fee .

It's not his land it's owned by all Americans .

This Rancher wants confrontation , they have a war against BLM .
    People are corporations too !

April 18, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Tom l, why are you supporting a man whose family has mooched off the taxpayer teat for generations? What makes him sacrosanct? Its amusing watching you support a man who has been openly cheating the system for over 20 years get your support, and even more amusing watching you back his militia buddies. The laws regarding grazing on federal land were updated because the fees had not been changed in generations, resulting in him paying a pittance to the rest of us. Why do you always support the takers in situations like this, or is your libertarian streak so pronounced that you cannot get offended by him taking money out of your pocket?

April 18, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. S. B. Stein

If he can show that he was never notified that he was grazing on federal lands, then he should get a discounted rate and told what should be done in terms of letting his cattle graze on federal lands.

April 18, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. The Real Tom Paine

Just saying, at least we actually love something other than money. I don't understand why you are not demanding the rancher follow the law. Why is he special, and the illegals are not? They have all broken the law. I guess this shows you have to be the " right" kind of lawbreaker to get your support. Kind of like the appeals to be nice to Limbaugh after he was found to be an addict: you actually found an addict you liked and demanded be treated with respect. Maybe its because you like the idea the rancher was breaking the law in plain sight, is that it?

April 18, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. Ol' Yeller

Man, this opens up a whole new world to me! I can now just go hunting, fishing, jaunting, and exploring on any land I want. I will just take my gun and wave it around if the landowner or Officers show up. I can shout jibberish about how I don't recognize their right to, or authority over, the land. I will demand proof. I will ignore proof. Should they take me to court, I will fight them. Should I lose, I will ignore the Judge's jurisdiction over myself and shout some more jibberish.
    Soon a bunch of folks missing many a tooth will show up with guns to help wave about and assist me with the shouting of said jibberish. The republicant party will rally behind my lawless behavior and hannity will sing my praises.
    Life will be good, because I no longer have to pay my house payment, bills, fines, levies, taxes, etc... Somebody shows up at the house!? Exit with gun, start waving it.... shout jibberish.
    Soon others will learn of this new system and jibberish shouting gun wavers will be in your yard. Don't call the cops, else they will exponentially grow in number until you actually have more people than tooths in their heads (collectively),

So all you righties, welcome to the world you are creating. Me and my toothless buddies will be in your hot tub tonite or perhaps digging for fishing worms on the 16th green of your Country Club or just driving your daughter's car around. If you try and assert your 'rights'... well, get ready to have jibberish shouted and guns waved.
    Any further protest on your part will be met with deadly force, as interupting my jibberish yelling always makes me fear for my life and I will stand my ground (or your ground, as the case may be... I mean, used to be).

What a brave new world! Instead of votes... we count money and guns (regardless of teeth).
    Our Forefathers would be SO proud.

April 18, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. rs

Tom I- sorry to see you've become a troll for the faux revolutionaries, anti-government, anti-American crowd.

The case is crystal clear, the guy broke the law and refused, despite court orders. to pay his grazing fees. As to Mr. Reid-look at a map.

April 18, 2014 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

@just saying– I bet you lack thinking capacity, Obama deported maximum. Learn.

April 18, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Anonymous

"And a banner at the protest site blared: "Has the West been won? Or has the fight just begun!"

Completely unhinged - heading into tinfoil hat stupidity gets you a headliner on CNN and little else. What a bunch of clowns.

April 18, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. "Breath and Release"

What if..........
    Another person, perhaps a supporter, decides he has rights to graze a couple hundred head of cattle on the same land. Will both ranchers share the land that does not belong to them or the Federal Government (as they caim)? If they fight over it will one or more of them expect the "Law" to come in and protect them? What if a third, fourth, fifth person also decides to use this land?

There are reasons for having rules and government.

April 18, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |