Zing! Christie knocks Letterman for fat jokes, backs Colbert
April 23rd, 2014
7 months ago

Zing! Christie knocks Letterman for fat jokes, backs Colbert

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie took a shot Wednesday on Twitter at David Letterman over the retiring comedian's jokes about the governor's weight.

The morning after Letterman was joined by his successor Steve Colbert on "The Late Show," Christie made his excitement for Letterman's departure known in a tweet.

"Oh @Letterman, I'm really gonna miss your fat jokes. Wait, no I'm not. #ColbertNation," he tweeted.

Christie's tweet came in response to a segment Letterman aired Tuesday that poked fun at both an award Christie won Monday as "Father of the Year" and Christie's weight, an issue the governor has publicly struggled with for years.

In a mock "CBS News Special Report" on Letterman's show, a narrated newscast jokingly explains why Christie won the award.

"The word Father contains the word 'fat,'" the narrator says while a bulleted graphic and picture of Christie is displayed on screen. "And Governor Christie is fat."

Christie was awarded "Father of the Year" by the Father's Day/Mother's Day Council Monday, joining a list of prominent former recipients including former President Bill Clinton and basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal.

While Christie swung back at Letterman on Twitter this time, the governor played along with the comedian's jabs about his weight last year, pulling a donut from his pocket and nibbling away in front of Letterman during an interview on the program.

"I only care if you're funny," he told Letterman, talking about the fat jokes. "From my perspective, if the joke is funny, I laugh. If it's not funny, I don't laugh. But I've never felt like it was anything that bugged me all that much."

This time, Christie wasn't laughing.

Related:

Christie reveals weight loss surgery

How Christie surgery weighs on 2016

Opinion: Chris Christie and our biases about weight

Filed under: Chris Christie • David Letterman
  1. Michael

Chritie also blasted Colorado for legalizing marijuana. I think the real reason he is upset is because if he come here, he may smoke some, get the munchies, and get fatter.

April 23, 2014 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Susan

I have to say, that was pretty low on Letterman's part. A real reach at that. There are plenty of ways you could have made fun of Christie for winning FOTY without resorting to middle school antics. Just my opinion.

April 23, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. anan

Didn't Christie have lap band surgery like almost a year ago? Shouldn't he have thinned by now? How does it work?

April 23, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Josh

Clinton was a one-time recipient of the Father of the Year award??? I guess infidelity doesn't hold much weight when evaluating paternal soundness.

April 23, 2014 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. joey

USA, the new kingdom of fat sloberness. Where diabetes is chic.

April 23, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. LudwigvBthvn

What Christie doesn't understand is that he'll always be fat - no matter how much weight his surgery allows him to lose. He just has a fat persona.

April 23, 2014 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. tiz

Letterman should have retired about 10 years ago.... just a bitter old man now....

April 23, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

Josh wrote:

---------------------
    Maybe, just maybe, he won the award during his first term as POTUS. Why don't you look it up?

Personally, I'm real curious to know what Christie did to win such an award. The philanthropy of the Clintons and Shaq are widely known. Shaq's generoisty has made him into be a "father" for hundreds and thousands of ghetto youths.

April 23, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. gopdumpsterfire

Christie welcomes talking about his fat at this point. Anything to avoid the topic of abuse of power.

April 23, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. Black Barney

...but he is fat, no?

hashtag willmissletterman
    hashtag fatshamingmeansyouactuallycare

April 23, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. Normandy

coem on, guys-he is grossly obese-even after a surgery. Its ok to mock something a person has control over!! Fashion, body size, etc

April 23, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  12. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I know I'm not about to win any popularity contests with this comment but here goes.....

First of all I do realize some people are overweight due to glandular problems etc. But most Americans are overweight because they over eat and don't exercise. Case in point. There is a bus stop next to my apartment bldg. A few days ago there was this obese guy with a oxygen tank mowing on a huge bag of Cheetos. He was huffing and puffing in between bites of Cheetos. I just wanted to say Dude, put the Cheetos down. You're already obese and on oxygen and he didn't look a day over 35. People need to use self control when it comes to food because being obese is not good for your health. And to my fellow black people, we have got to lay off the Soul Food. It's killing us and causing too many to have Diabetes. I bet he was a diabetic. I know I love it too. But everything in moderation...

If Christie doesn't like fat jokes then push away from the table. It works.

April 23, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@tiz

April 23, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
    *********************************************************************************************************************
    Yeah, a bitter old man with millions of money, fans, and fame.
    /sarcasm

April 23, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Silence DoGood

@goblackhawks
    " I guess if you let 4 people die in another country on 9/11 you are in the lead to run as President as a DEM"
    ---------–
    Bush "let" many more die in embassy attacks and don't get me started on what happened when he sent US soldiers into the wrong country......
    But you and your little friends keep this conspiracy theory alive.

April 23, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Kevin

Non-funny crap like this is why Letterman has gotten his butt handed to him in the late night ratings for almost two decades. Good riddance to this single facetted lap dog for the left.

April 23, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  16. Rosslaw

Wait a second, all of sudden the guy who proves how tough he is by screaming at women is now a delicate little flower who tears up at observations that he looks like a beached whale? Did he cry? All it takes for the rabid right to assume manliness is a big mouth and a wide strut. You would have thought they'd learned differently with little "W".

April 23, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Anonymous

gopdumpsterfire wrote

---------------------------–
    Actually, Christie has always claimed that he doesn't mind the fat jokes since LONG before there ever was a scandal. I guess it helped to keep his name in the news without rolling it thorugh the mud. I have no doubt that folks like Letterman review the on-air jokes ahead of time with Christie.

April 23, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. sly

"Non-funny crap like this is why Letterman has gotten his butt handed to him in the late night ratings for almost two decades."
    =====
    Now THATS funny – 20 years of making millions a year with millions and millions of fans.

And you call that "getting your butt handed to you"! That is hilarious!

April 23, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

sly

=====

And you call that "getting your butt handed to you"! That is hilarious!
    ===========================================================
    I guess someone just hates liberals. Dave has been known as the "King of Late Night" for a good reason. He was funny, and the "Top Ten" is my nightcap. Dave also had Paul Shaffer, and no one else had anything even remotely close to his talent. After, Carson, I could never get into Leno.

April 23, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |