Kissing congressman won't seek re-election
April 28th, 2014
3 months ago

Kissing congressman won't seek re-election

updated at 3:30pm

(CNN) – Republican Rep. Vance McAllister, who was caught on video kissing an aide in his office, will not run for re-election in November.

"As I've said before, there's no doubt I've made a mistake. I've failed those I care most about and let down the people who elected me to represent them. I take full responsibility for this personal failure and I'm truly sorry for what I've done. I have taken this time to reconcile with my wife and kids and I'm forever grateful for their support and forgiveness," said McAllister in a statement Monday.

"The people of the Fifth District of Louisiana need and deserve a voice in Washington. Today, I am announcing that I will not seek re-election, but I will continue to be that voice and will uphold the office to which I was elected to serve for the remainder of my term,"  McAllister added.

Louisiana GOP Chairman Roger Villere, who had previously called on McAllister to resign, said in a statement he would "have liked to see Rep. McAllister close this chapter sooner" but added he "was happy to hear of his decision to do what is best for his family and his constituents."

"Now that this situation is behind us, I am confident that voters in the 5th District will choose a strong conservative candidate in November," he said.

After The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video of the incident, the married Louisiana congressman issued a statement earlier this month.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve," he said.

McAllister was elected in a November 2013 special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative.

He represents the state's 5th Congressional District. The filing deadline is August 22.

CNN: Key races to watch in 2014

CNN's Ashley Killough, Deirdre Walsh and Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • Congress • Vance McAllister
  1. Good Ole Mr. Wilson

Gotta love those Family Values Republicans! McCallister, Grimm, Radel... Do as I say, not as I do!

April 28, 2014 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  2. Marie MD

Guess he really messed up on those family values thingy. Ya betcha!

April 28, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

No place for dirtbags like him in congress. 434 to go.

April 28, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. Dead Bear

Smart move, Vance... Small consolation, I know, but at least you weren't caught kissing the Duck Dynasty "dude" on camera.

April 28, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Bill

He looks like Grimm's twin brother. Go family values! The clown car rolls onward.

April 28, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. bill

A kiss? He should take lessons from slick willey.

April 28, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. Lolo

Amnother Republican hypocrit bites the dust. Instead of them trying to repeal Obamacare they need to try and live those Family values they keep talking about. Such idiots!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Carly

How come we can not forgive this guy but we forgave Vitter? Oh, maybe cuz paying for it is much more respectable. Duh!!

April 28, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Chris-E...al

Democrats are just jealous cause they want some attention from MR. Vance i see . ummm

April 28, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

I'd keep an eye on his predecessor, Rodney Alexander, though. He accepted a position in the Lousiana's Veteran Affairs offce, which happens to be a position appointed by the governor, Bobby Jindal. Reminds me of Gov. Christei and the Port Authority appointments here in New York and New Jersey. Lots of public dollars flow through both organizations.

April 28, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Hey bill... Slick willey got a kiss too... Just in a different place. But I'm sure HE got at least one of those too. 😆

April 28, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. sifto

Democrats condone this kind if behavior..(their hero, b clinton) ..very hiypocritical comments against this guy..

April 28, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  13. ARMYCSM

Kiss of Death

April 28, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

So McAllister is an adulterer and Grimm is a crook. Gotta love the GOP and their morality.

April 28, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. jimmy

TEA PARTY republicans unite. There is a pattern here. Nobody is vetting these tea party people who come out of no where and get elected. I love it.

April 28, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

Of course he won't resign, and presumably this will be followed up by an announcement that he has accepted Jesus and will be leaving to become a missionary. However, if he had a "D" after his name and refused to resign right away, the usual cast of mental midgets would be screaming for his resignation, and blathering on about Dems having no morals. Its amazing to me the arrogance of the true believers on here, and how their lot either never sin or are absolved of their sins almost immediately: all you have to do is look at David Vitter or Mark Sanford to see how quickly the morally deficient ones in the GOP are welcomed back into the fold.

April 28, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Chris-E...al wrote

-----------------------------–
    "Democrats are jealous .... "
    "Democrats are fearful ... "
    "Democrats are divisive ... "
    "Democrats are hateful ... "

You get the idea, folks. Projections. The only folks that are all tied up into emotional, political knots seem to be mostly conservatives. They seem to be the experts on the range of emotions that active voters can have. Comes from familiarity.

Meanwhile, liberals seem to chugging along just fine, for the most part. I hear they overturned another Voter ID law last week.

April 28, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. The Real Tom Paine

@ sifto, right back at ya. I never condoned Clinton for his behavior in his marriage, but that was used in an attempt to impeach him and remove from from office while Newt Gingrich did the same thing, with no real consequences even when he ran for President. Please don't try to make yourself above the fray, since you excuse anyone with an after their name.

April 28, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. Marie MD

@chris, not my type. I would want Vance's attention for anything. Can't think of one. Nope.

April 28, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. JJR

Too bad that he wasn't caught kissing Pelosi, Mccain, Obama and Reid.

April 28, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  21. Ol' Yeller

Hey, at least he's not a Witch.

April 28, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. sly

Big surprise. The fool is toast. They don't call Republicans "The Party of Stupid" for nothing!

April 28, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    Chris-E...al wrote

---------––
    "Democrats are jealous .... "
    "Democrats are fearful ... "
    "Democrats are divisive ... "
    "Democrats are hateful ... "

---------–
    We are seeing more emotion and projection from the conservative camps.
    The Freeloader rancher guy was in violation of the law but he was angry about something so it was OK.
    The NRA doesn't like the facts about gun violence but it is OK because they get worked up about the movie hero image.
    The IRS and Benghazi hearings are done but it is not done because they hate the people involved.
    Emotion over reality.

April 28, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. pierce

At least that Louisianan McAllister did not need a Madame to line up his dates. Vitter? Are you reading this. Shame on you too.

April 28, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

jimmy

-------------------------------
    Oh, I'd say that they are, and that they're doing a thorough job of it, too. As long as you can pass the thought police's highly stringent "one of us" tests, then you're good to go. They're just not testing for the same stuff that you would.

April 28, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |