(CNN) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told a capacity crowd at a National Rifle Association rally how she would baptize terrorists if she was an elected official.
“If I was in charge,” Palin said Saturday in Indianapolis, “they would know, waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists.”
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who ran against then Sen.-Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election, with Palin as his running mate, has spoken out against waterboarding, calling it illegal and ineffective. During the Vietnam War, McCain endured years of torture and imprisonment as a prisoner of war under the North Vietnamese.
In her speech, Palin also said the Washington insiders who called the 2009 mass shooting at Fort Hood a case of workplace violence “don’t know what is right.” That shooting was carried out by Maj. Nidal Hassan.
“Not when that evil Muslim terrorist Major Hassan massacres his fellow military soldiers at Fort Hood,” she said.
Characterizing Hassan, “that devil” as a ‘disgruntled employee,’” is hypocritical, said Palin.
Palin called liberals hypocrites for their stance on issues varying from gun control to torture at the NRA event that was part of the organization’s 2014 convention.
But she backtracked later, saying, “Not all intolerant anti-freedom leftist liberals are hypocrites.”
“I’m kidding,” she said. “Yes, they are.”
Palin told the crowd that “guys like” Sen. Al Franken and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid “are not satisfied with just taking your money and your job and your truck and your property and your rights and your healthcare. Those Democrats trying to get all ‘Pelosi’ on ya, and you’re not gonna have it!” she said, referring to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Palin accused the Democrats of pursuing “policies that poke our allies in the eye and coddle adversaries instead of putting the fear of God in our enemies.”
She ended her speech by telling the crowd that the bracelet she wears celebrates the Bill of Rights, ratified in 1791.
“It’s why we’re here, to celebrate and confirm that solemn oath to liberty,” she said.
Who actually takes this chick seriously, I simply can't imagine.
Sure, she's got the inbred psychotic vote. But that's only 40% of the Republican base.
I am SO glad she never gained any real power.
Any Republican who would vote for this lady needs to have their head checked. Using names of politicians as phrase-words doesn't make one capable of running the government.
To dissect her comments though:
1) Blatantly says she is for torture. How would she like it if one of her children was picked up in a foreign country and tortured just because that government has decided they are a terrorist? She would cry about wanting to nuke them for being bad people. But she is perfectly okay with the US torturing people who haven't even been charged as terrorists.
2) Our approval with our 'allies' is higher than it was when Bush was President. Iran has a more moderate President than it elected when Bush was President. China has been leaning towards agreeing with us on issues such as North Korea and Russia.
3) She wants us to put the 'fear of God' in our adversaries?!? Name those adversaries? Then name how many of them actually can do anything to us. Your list should be done to at most one. Russia. So, tell me Mrs. Palin, how do we put the fear of God in a country that already knows we have nuclear weapons pointed at them and who has the same pointed at us? MAD works because it prevents people like you from actually giving real considerationg to 'hitting the button'.
4) Considering that the vast majority of 'leftist' liberals are the most tolerant people in the country (ie they accept the LGBT community, accept racial minorities, etc) and the people you normally see displaying their intolerance are the far-right conservatives like her, her whole statement about hypocrites is hypocritical.
5) I would be hard-pressed to trust a politician who wears a bracelet about the Bill of Rights who peppers her whole speech threatening violence while invoking her religion. Freedom of Religion is one of our tenants for a reason. If Sarah Palin doesn't understand this, she needs to stop talking about freedoms. Liberals protest, and Republicans do their best to restrict those protests. Conservatives protest, and their supporters make up lies about 30 year old legislation by trying to connect it with Obama. An individual's right to own a gun wasn't determined by the Supreme Court until the 2000s! And even then the Court stated that gun ownership can be restricted by the government. Illegal Search and Seizure? Right to a trial? These were things that were restricted by the PATRIOT Act, a conservative idea.
6) Let's continue with the conservative idea list: Free Trade pacts that allow cheap foreign goods to be brought into this country and allow corporations to move American job positions overseas, campaign contribution limitation removal, Medicare/Social Security destruction (except during an election year) are just the start. Liberal ideas? Equal rights, education support, bettering mankind, scientific progression, ending wars and suffering come to mind. Do liberals go at it in the best method all the time? Of course no, but I like that list better.
You can take the girl out of Alaska, but you can't take the bimbo out of the ( now aging) girl.
Hey, Elvira, Texas may be producing 2 million barrels a day but they are selling it to China. The propane "shortage" this winter, which killed people, by the way, was no shortage. Exports of propane from Mont Bleveu Tx have tripled since 2011. Ol' Perry and his oil patch friends were selling the fuel rural people, including the ones who grow your food, need to stay warm to the Chinese! Real patriots. For its part, the Obama administration sat on its hands and did not realize for three months it had the power to order some pipeline flows reversed and force propane to be shipped to Conway KS for distribution to the midwest and northern states. The exact same thing will happen next winter. Wonder what the propane companies will blame the shortage on then?
You know Sarah is good press–every other "news" item on this CNN page is closed to posters. But Sarah has been open all day. Tell you anything about CNN, or does it tell you more about the American people? Simple things keep simple minds happy.
It is easy for people to make absurd statements when they are not in any position of power, and have no chance of ever being in any position of power. You know, like Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly....
The people of Alaska must be so embarrassed by her. The only thing Christian about her is her pants...maybe...Christian Dior!!
That's about right. Torture is just like getting baptized in the disgusting practice of religion.
How ironic that she's talking about waterboarding, because I feel like motorboating when I see her in that t-shirt.
It's all about the money, which in her Bible is the root of all evil. Living proof, she is.
Why are all of you bashing Palin. She is right about the way we need to handle the terrorist. Give them a taste of good old America hospitality. If she had not ran with John McCain, she might be Vice President now. We all know the current administration hasn't done a thing for this country, actually made it worse.
Of course the Republicans think of waterboarding as baptisms. How else could they consider getting there hips up really close to the poor's buttocks and delivering their true message.
Unopposed, terrorism is winning. If We don't start to FIGHT, really soon, our children will pay the ultimate price. Responsibility in Government has been replaced by fraud and treason. F I G H T for AMERICA
Jesus would be rolling over in his tomb, if he were in it, if he could hear her labeling torture as baptism!
Palin would sound,talk delushional even if she was waterboarded herself..Poor thing from Alaska is just the result of parents on an acid trip that never thought of birth control or staying healthy and away from drugs while pregnant..
McCain is adamantly opposed to waterboarding. Seems like half her ugly snark was at him and the other half at REAL christians.
hahaha thats awesome Palin, im going to start using that! She's spot on about everything in this article.
Good- im glad she said all that- about time someone stands up for US. I do think we shouldn't waterboard anyone however, we should use positive feedback methods, not negative. I think that would work better- in actuality,and it's important to retain the moral high ground as well.
Even my GOP friends thinks she is only in it for the money for herself and for her kids. She only spouts off to get money from those weird conservatives that are on the fringe. She's looking old too.
Let's all get together and have a mass BAPTISM of Republicans!
Thank God, she is not a vice president now... Geez.. Double Kudos to Obama and his team performance in 2008 and 2009. She is only fit for passing race baiting comments. She doesn't know Geography... I would say Laura Bush is 1000 times better than Sarah Palin.
Ken in Mo
Ever see the stage production of "Evita". Once seen you can't help but think of Sarah and Eva Peron at the same time. One line from the show always comes to my mind when I hear Sarah spewing-"She didn't say much, but she said it loud."
Tough talk, why doesn't she ask John McCain if he thinks this is funny? If she was in charge it would be Dark Ages 2.0.