Cantor calls on kissing congressman to resign
April 29th, 2014
5 months ago

Cantor calls on kissing congressman to resign

(CNN) – House Majority Leader Eric Cantor called Tuesday for Rep. Vance McAllister to resign.

And the embattled first-term Republican congressman from Louisiana said no.

McAllister, who was caught on video kissing an aide in his office, announced Monday he would not seek re-election in November.

"I did meet with Leader Cantor this morning. He asked me why I would want to put myself through this for the next eight months if I'm not running for reelection. He did ask me to consider resigning, but I respectfully disagree with him and my family is behind my decision," said McAllister in a statement.

Earlier Tuesday, Cantor met with McAllister and urged him to step down. Cantor told Politico Republicans should "hold ourselves to a higher standard."

"And I think what has happened in his instance doesn't meet that standard. So I told him that I thought he should resign," Cantor added.

Talking to reporters after word of Cantor's comments, McAllister said that he rejected the suggestion he resign his seat immediately.

McAllister also told reporters that Cantor didn't tell their "full conversation" to Politico.

"The conversation was – as a friend he thought I should resign because if I'm not going to run for re-election, why go through eight months of this process if I'm not going to run anyway," he said.

"And I believe I'm not going to leave my district voiceless again for the second time."

Louisiana GOP Chairman Roger Villere has also previously called on McAllister to resign.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee pounced on Cantor's comments, pointing to another Republican congressman, Rep. Michael Grimm from New York, who was indicted Monday by a federal grand jury, but has not received calls from GOP leadership to step down.

"Republican leaders made one thing clear today; it is worse to kiss the wrong person in a safe Republican seat than to face a 20-count criminal indictment in a swing district," DCCC Spokesman Josh Schwerin said.

Asked if Cantor was using different standard because he didn't call on Grimm to resign, McAllister said, "I don't believe Mr. Grimm has anything to do with me."

Pressed further if Cantor should also call on Grimm to step down, McAllister said, "that's between him and Mr. Grimm."

CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

You should of called on his resignation when the story broke, not after the party starts receiving flack. Those republican family values are out the window.

April 29, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

--pathetic, these republican bums are just criminals, I mean national criminals.

April 29, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. sonnie3

He should go as his kind don't belong in Government in any way shape or form. What and idiot!!

April 29, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. sonnie3

If he don't resign he should at least change to a Bill Clinton Democrat.

April 29, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Marie MD

The story is a joke as big as cantor is.
    "I believe we ought to hold ourselves to a higher standard"? In what universe do any of you teaklans have standards?
    It's obvious that Mcallister is not going to help them for anything so they'll bring some real hater in to help the right wing congress.
    I guess grimm, bachman and so many others, including their screecher, charged with ethics violation charges is their standard?

April 29, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. The Real Tom Paine

Hmmmm, whazzat?

Gunderson think Cantor should not get involved, that is Nanny-state thinking. Let kissing fool stay in office, be mindless rubber stamp for corporate state. Rich people know what is best for everyone, support rich people because Gunderson been told that is good. Gunderson not have mind of his own, think liberals have been in power for 100 years because other people tell him that. Before he was told that, it was 80 years. After he get history lesson, he say 100 years. Too bad lesson was a joke, but, so is Gunderson.

April 29, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. G Grigas

More GOP "family values". Only imbeciles vote for such creeps.

April 29, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Tampa Tim

Cantor sounds like he is the jilted lover.

April 29, 2014 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Thomas

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor called Tuesday for Rep. Vance McAllister to resign. Unless he can watch Vance kiss Rep. Michael Grimm on the Lips while holding hands with Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) in an symbolic gesture to bring the Nation together .

April 29, 2014 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. Silence DoGood

@Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – Take Back the House
    ----------–
    The GOP claims to be the moral party but we can see this is pretty flexible based on the situation, political benefits, and basic animal urges.

April 29, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Tom Paine you are on a roll today!!! I'm loving it!!!!

April 29, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |