April 30th, 2014
5 months ago

Americans agree with Barbara Bush

(CNN) - Barbara Bush made national headlines last year when she said on NBC that her son Jeb shouldn't run for president in 2016 because "there are a lot of great families. It's not just four families, or whatever. There are other people out there that are very qualified. We've had enough Bushes."

And in an interview earlier this year on C-SPAN, the former first lady added that "I think this is a great American country, and if we can't find more than two or three families to run for high office, that's silly."

Photos: Political families

A new national poll indicates that most Americans agree with Bush, the wife of former President George H.W. Bush.

Sixty-nine percent of people questioned in a NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Wednesday said they agree, with a quarter saying they don't agree with her statements.

With both former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton seriously considering bids for the White House in 2016, the discussion of political dynasties is alive and well. If Bush ran and won in 2016, he would be the third Bush in the White House over the past three decades, following his father (1989-1993) and his brother George W. Bush (2001-2009).

If Clinton ran and won the next election, she would be the second President Clinton in the White House in the past two decades, following her husband Bill Clinton (1993-2001).

While Barbara Bush doesn't want Jeb to follow in her husband and son George's footsteps, it's not because she doesn't think he's up to the task.

"He's by far the best qualified man, but no, I really don't" want to see him run, she has said.

Jeb acknowledges dynasty issue

While Jeb Bush has joked about his mother's comments, he's also discussed how his family name may hurt him as much as help him if he decides to run for the White House in 2016.

Jeb Bush cheered on 2016

Speaking in February at the Long Island Association's biannual luncheon, a popular stop for former presidents and White House hopefuls, Bush was asked about his mother's remarks.

"It's an issue for sure," Bush admitted.

Bush told the story of sitting next to a man on a plane who talked about having a Bush and a Clinton and then a Bush in the White House, with the prospect of another Clinton and Bush to come.

Bush said "I get the point. It's something that, if I run, I would have to overcome that. And so will Hillary, by the way. Let's keep the same standards for everybody."

George doesn't see eye to eye with Barbara

Jeb Bush's father may not agree with his wife.

In an exclusive interview with CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, Jeb's brother, Neil, made it clear that his dad - George H.W. Bush - wants his son to run, no matter what his wife says.

"If you asked Dad the same question 'Should Jeb run?' he'd say yes." Asked again whether Bush 41 would specifically be for it, Neil Bush replied, "Yeah, he would say yeah."

Has Neil asked his father himself? No. But he allowed, "I have heard him answer that question."

Hillary's numbers higher than Jeb's

The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, like previous surveys, finds Clinton more popular with the public than Bush. Clinton has a 48%-32% favorable/unfavorable rating in the new poll, compared to 21%-32% for Bush.

Previous polling from other organizations also indicates Clinton leading Bush, as well as other potential Republican White House hopefuls, in hypothetical 2016 general election showdowns.

CNN special coverage of the 2014 midterm elections

The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll was conducted April 23-37, with 1,000 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

Filed under: 2016 • Barbara Bush • Hillary Clinton • Jeb Bush
  1. technique586

I don't care as long as the person is qualified and the best for the job. There's no intrinsic value to being related to a previous President, just an illusionary value. I don't vote on illusions, to the best of my ability I aim to discern fact from fiction.

April 30, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. sparky

His Mammy thru him under the bus.....classic. Typical Bushes

April 30, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Jme

I agree with her and along that same line we don't need another Clinton. Bill was enough and seeing how incompetent and foolish she proved to be as SoS she would be an absolute disaster as president.

April 30, 2014 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. libkiller

I really do not want another Bush or Clinton in the White House.

April 30, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Mark

The democrat media makes me puke in my mouth

April 30, 2014 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. John

And the main thing to remember is what disasters the first two were. Please, this country can't take one more Bush.

April 30, 2014 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Gregg

I agree. We do not need any more Clintons, Bushes, or Kennedys in the White House. We need new people and new ideas

April 30, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Can't wait to see Sheldon Adelson,Rupert Mourdoch,Rove,Grover Norquist and the GOP stuff Jeb Bush down the tea party's throats Mitt the twit style.

April 30, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Mark

The democrat media makes me puke in my mouth
    -------

now you know what Fox News and talk radio do to clear-thinking people.

April 30, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. lgm

Funny how CNN doesn't feature an article about who wants another Clinton in the office? Oh wait - that would go against their prime directive as the slave mouth piece to the leftist regime.

April 30, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Rene

Does April have 37 days???

April 30, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Scott

Well said. Now if we can just get someone to say the same thing about the Clintons. Give me someone who has had to work a day in their life to pay bills, run a business and pay taxes to just see it all wasted. I'm all for lending a helping hand to someone who actually needs it. Giving it away to people who are able to work irritates me to no end. There are jobs out there. Do a job you don't like until something better comes along. That's what I did. I can't find a good worker because these kids want to play on their phones instead of serving a customer. Then they wonder why I don't want to pay them $15/hour.

April 30, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Joe

Seriously, what a jerk thing for Mrs. Bush to say. I don't want another Bush in the White House, but she couldn't even smile for the camera and wish the best for her son? That's pretty low.

April 30, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Name. willard

No no vote support for clinton hillary 2016 cause she was lied her story what happenef about benghizia

April 30, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. James

we just don't' want any more bush-like families.

April 30, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

First we have Daddy Bush, then lil Bush, now another Bush and before it's over his son will be running too.

Otoh we have only had ONE Clinton in the WH. By my calculations we are owed at least one more Clinton if not two...😎😎😎
    Go Hillary!!!!

April 30, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. Jerry

I don't believe it I actually agree with something a member of the Bush family said.

April 30, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. dina

I think Barbara knew perfectly well that George was the dimmest bulb in her bushel basket. It's a shame for the world that he was promoted because he was considered an easier tool to manipulate by the kingmakers in the GOP.

April 30, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. iceload

You need to find a front that will say the right things and stay on message. Then they have to have enough name recognition so it doesn't cost too much to run them. That's about it.

April 30, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. oneSTARman

Barbara Bush is not as senile as her Husband. She knows perfectly well that Jeb has no chance of becoming President.
    This statement about Families was a way of getting a JAB in at the CLINTONS

April 30, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. Rich

America doesn't need another Bush Crime Family member running for president.

April 30, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  22. weebitwidd11e

Someone give that lady a hug for me!

April 30, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. Andy H.

Agreed.

April 30, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  24. Harold Read

Want to destroy Democracy? Vote Dynasty!

April 30, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. judith

We'd had way too many Bushes, but I will be proud to vote for Hillary Clinton.

April 30, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |