May 1st, 2014
4 months ago

Biking with Bush: Former President opens up about veterans, Jeb 2016

(CNN) – It is not an easy ride.

The rugged 100-kilometer mountain bike ride cuts through the Texas hill country and was designed to keep a fitness freak on his toes.

FULL POST

Filed under: 2016 • George W. Bush • Jeb Bush • Veterans
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

"It is not an easy ride."

Oh, to be able to ride a bike again ... !

Kudos to GW for keeping in shape.

May 1, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

No More Bush's!!!! A lot of those vets are suffering PTSD from a war you sent them into based on a lie. Go away!

May 1, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Name. MADMOTHER

Mean he got sober enough to get on a bike ???? LOL

May 1, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Thomas

This is his personal bike trail through his sprawling 1,600-acre Crawford ranch.

1% ?

May 1, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

Good for him on keeping in shape. I did a 52 mile ride last summer with my son for his Cycling Merit badge: anything after 35 miles is a test of your willpower. Regardless of your beliefs, he's doing a good thing on any number of levels.

May 1, 2014 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

-I hate this idiot in the news. He messed this big economy, now wants his brother to further broke with wars. Well, USA is changing, no one is paying attention other than this media. Very pathetic. Yes, on Hillary16. Period.

May 1, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Judging from the terrain, elbow and knee pads would be a good addition to his gear. Ride on, George.

May 1, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Will W be campaigning with Mitt, Cruz, Christy and crew??? I'm sure he's welcome.😝

May 1, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. Chris-E...al

Bush is a great man and he loves the vets and 9 out of 10 vets you ask will say the wars was worth it and would do it again so you know when you bash bush and the wars really what your saying is the vets wasted their time . They took hell to our enemies and freedom to the PPL Iraq just had a election and it didnt work out for the terrorist . We need to back our vets and thank them ever day .

May 1, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. smith

I didn`t agree with all of GWB policies but he has done a good job with Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans(Both active and inactive).

May 1, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

You go Tom Paine!!! A 52 mile ride?! Quite impressive sir. 👏

May 1, 2014 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Chris-E...al

--------------------
    Please do not delude yourself. The Bush/Cheney administration started two major wars, and then made significant cuts the Veterans Administration's hospital budgets. Most Americans were puzzled by these actions BECAUSE they had started two wars. We almost saw Walter Reed close up for good, and the Bush/Cheney Republicans didn't seem to care.

May 1, 2014 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

"I did a 52 mile ride last summer with my son for his Cycling Merit badge: anything after 35 miles is a test of your willpower."

Kudos to you and your son as well, Tom Paine. We recently sold my mountain bike ... RA, you understand. I can no longer handle the brakes (or much else for that matter).

And again good for you and your son ... !

May 1, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. salty dog

Chris, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while, I know several vets, and not one had a good thing to say, sending real patriots to die for your attempt at taking over Iraq oil fields, no offense, but your clueless in this one dude no offense meant

May 1, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. salty dog

Uh Chris, at least 4500 would disagree if they were alive to do so, but let's focus on the four from benghazi, which I view as a slap in the face to those who lost loved ones that no one on the right seems to care about, no political gain there, so mums the word, insulting if you ask me. Oh and the tens of thousands of young patriotic Americans will disagree, an arrogant statement at best.

May 1, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. salty dog

Tens of thousands of maimed and lost limbs, I'm sure they would relish the opportunity to fi it again,.....sigh

May 1, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  17. Sniffit

Filed under: "What to talk about instead of reporting on the blatantly faked ACA numbers the House GOP/Teatrolls just released so they could run around lying that only 67% of people who enrolled on the federal exchange have paid their premium."

Newsflash: deliberately reducing the numerator by choosing an arbitrary and incorrect cut-off date (April 15, 2014) instead of the correct cut-off date (April 30, 2014) is called LYING.

May 1, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama:

Correct Lynda.

Hey, thanks. Gore was never one who I was interested in following. I believe he was Senator (TN) back when my husband was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY so there may have been local news coverage of him back then; Ft. Campbell is divided between the KY and TN border.

I suppose if I were interested in him, I could google the time frame to clarify ... but, well ... I'm not, really.

May 1, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

smith

-------------------------------
    Wrong. The Bush/Cheney administration did a pathetic job with the Veterans Administration. They cut the budget during a time of war, when they should have been expanding it and preparing for the thousands of new veterans in need of services.

Why do you think the V.A. is in such a state of chaos today, with backlogs that date back years? Budget cuts during the early years of the two wars a decade ago, that's why. I don't know who was calling the shots on this subject, but someone doesn't have a heart. Seeing how George "Ride On" Bush was a "compassionate conservative", I'm putting my money on the Cheney.

May 1, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Gurgyl

--those guys are looting this treasury, every month USA pays 3000 dollars just to be In war, guided in veteran to get money. Focus on EDUCATION. Nation needs this Education–not war.

May 1, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Tampa Tim

Tommy G – Ever wonder how Boehner could afford a $835,000 second home on Marco Island when he makes $175,000 a year? He learned early to pass the plate to the DC lobbyists.
    --------------------------------
    As Speaker of the House, Rep Boehner earns significantly more than the standard salary. Somewhere around $235,000 is the number that comes to mind.

May 1, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. salty dog

I would like to adjust his brakes for him before his next downhill run, that would be swell.

May 1, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. Tony D

Rudy NYC - Judging from the terrain, elbow and knee pads would be a good addition to his gear.

He's an adult and can decide for himself Mr. Nanny. Not everybody is afraid of an occassional bump or bruise and when it is hot and you're sweating, those pads can cause more damage than they prevent.

Way to go George! Dang we miss you...

May 1, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. salty dog

Real patriot that George is, tax evasion seminars on election night, don't you just love the way they insult your intelligence, on a daily basis? Anyone who calls him a patriot, doesn't understand what that is, a quick Google of the bush family will all but eliminate your desire to see another in power .

May 1, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. Lizzie

salty dog, salty dog "sending real patriots to die for your attempt at taking over Iraq oil fields, " so how many oilfield did we TAKE OVER and how much OIL did we get out of this.

May 1, 2014 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |