Rahm Emanuel backs Hillary Clinton for president
May 9th, 2014
3 months ago

Rahm Emanuel backs Hillary Clinton for president

Washington (CNN) – Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel made his support for Hillary Clinton official on Friday, announcing through a pro-Clinton super PAC that he supports the former secretary of state for president, if she runs.

The former political adviser to Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama said he has seen Clinton's work firsthand and encouraged her to seek the office.

"When I worked with her in the White House, I saw what an effective leader she was," he said, adding that he knows "as president, she would continue to move our country forward."

"Hillary is smart, she's determined, and most importantly, she is a champion for the American people," Emanuel said in a statement released by Ready for Hillary, a pro-Clinton super PAC.

"I'm proud to make my support for her official, and I'm even prouder to join more than two million Americans encouraging her to run," he said.
In addition to supporting Clinton, Ready for Hillary announced that Emanuel will headline two of the group's fundraisers in Chicago on June 5.

Emanuel's support for a Clinton run was not a secret, but Friday's announcement made it official.
Last October, Emanuel told CNN's Jake Tapper, "I’m behind Hillary if she runs. And I think she will, but that’s up to her. If she runs, I’m in."

Ready for Hillary, with backing from a number of close Clinton advisers, is one of a handful of pro-Clinton super PACs that are working to urge Clinton to run in 2016.

Although their main focus has been in building a list of supporters and volunteers for a hypothetical Clinton campaign, they have recently been lining up a number of high-profile endorsements for the former first lady.

Last week, Ready for Hillary announced that Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia was joining their effort and thereby supporting a possible Clinton bid.

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Rahm Emanuel • Ready for Hillary
  1. Rudy NYC

Don't you think that it is a little early to start endorsing people before they throw their hat into the ring, Rahm? Personally, I don't think Clinton is the best choice for Democrats, and doubt if she'll make another run at it.

May 9, 2014 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  2. Silence DoGood

Whomever the GOP puts up will be backed by secret mega-funding, corporate attack dogs, religious theocracy folks, domestic terrorists, and angry fringe groups.

The Dems will need whatever competent help they can get.

May 9, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. Marie MD

I second Emanuel.

May 9, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. loco motion

As long as he's not on the ticket, don't care much for him.

May 9, 2014 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. Tommy G

-–

The four dead Americans in Benghazi also saw her work firsthand as well. That is why they are dead and can't tell us about it. Hopefully the House Select Committee will be their voice.

May 9, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. Gurgyl

-any sane will say so. Yes, on Hillary16. Period.

May 9, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. concerned citizen

Tommy G, start practicing: "Madam President Clinton"!

May 9, 2014 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  8. Thomas Richard Harold

Hillary has to do something about that pesky Biden. Obama was warned that he better back Hillary, but he seems to be bucking. Bill told Barack to do right by the people who lost their health insurance policies even though, "you can keep your policy. Period." It was a warning the the Clinton's still hold power.

Screw Democracy. Vote Dynasty 2016!

May 9, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. smith1

republicans are really worried about Hillary that is why all this bogus Benghazi stuff. They like making money off the dead. Democrats need to get out the vote midterm . We need to be in a good position for 2016. One troll commented that democrats don't vote mid term because there are no hand out's. IF your a democrat that alone should make you want to get out the vote. Enough with these lying fake patriots. State elections are important. Look at all the new bills against woman and health care. Vote

May 9, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

I still say that the best thing that Hillary could do would be not to run for POTUS. Enjoy your retirement, girl. Let the GOTP spin their wheels and foam at the mouth over Benghazi for another year or so. Let them overreach even further than what they already have. Then announce you're not running, leaving the Republicans with a dismal record of accomplishment since they took the House in 2010. I think that is the best thing Hillary could do for Democrats, not run at all. It would catch conservatives completely off balance.

May 9, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Rudy you know I think you are the man but I disagree about Hillary. I do agree we shouldn't put all of our eggs in one basket but Hillary can do this. I don't care about her age. Most previous Presidents were old and everyone knows women age better than men. Hillary is the only woman that I would vote for for POTUS. And not just because she's a woman. Because she's strong, smart, intelligent and she has the GOP shaking like Don Knotts in a hurricane. I've gone back and forth about Hillary over the years but I think she can do it!!!

Go Hillary 16!!

May 9, 2014 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. Thomas

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel will be Vice President .

May 9, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Chris-E...al

Both of those horses have broke legs . Both are crooks just riding on dirty coattails . How ill never kn0w .

May 9, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. Tampa Tim

Tommy G – So you think a select committee looking into to deaths of 3000 Americans on 9-11-2001, 50 Americans dead in 15 terrorist attacks on our embassies under Bush, and the 4500 deaths in republican unnecessary wars would also be a good idea?

May 9, 2014 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. Bill Kleinsturn

Rudy, I respect your opinion, but I don't think "you are the man." LOL The fact is, the GOP's alleged "dismal record of accomplishment" will be framed accurately when the time comes–that hundreds of practical bills were sent to the Democratically-controlled Senate, but that Harry Reid kept all of them from a simple Senate vote. That's the actual narrative that honest Americans will accept. Of course, that's all moot soon–the GOP will control both Houses of Congress in January 2015, and thus the obvious vetoes will be from the lame duck.

May 9, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. Rudy NYC

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

---------------------------
    Age shouldn't be a factor, but health should be a valid concern. If Hillary won for two terms, then she would serve until 10 years from now, in 2024. Look at pictures of her from her days as a New York Senator, and look at her now. Remember the minor health crisis she experienced before testifying about Benghazi? Which Democrat has the name recognition to be her running mate in 2016? Her VP selection would be the game changer for a 2016 run for POTUS. Right now, there is no clear choice, and Democrats are failing to groom someone for the role. They're too enamored with Hillary.

May 9, 2014 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. freedom

The Chicago corrupt machine – of course they would back Hilary.

May 9, 2014 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  18. just saying

trey gowdy is going to slice and dice hillary clinton during her deposition to the select committee. he knows what he is doing as he was a former prosecutor and never lost a case. she will not run for presdient because her cover up will be exposed as well as her total incompetence.

May 9, 2014 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    Sniffitt's right Lynda... You are on a roll today my friend!!😍😍

BENGHAZI ( The Fundraiser)

Love IT!!
    --------–

Thanks to you both. Today is supposed to find me packing for opening fishing. Lake is still frozen; dock is still grounded on land; wind is howling; and the temps are dropping. I can't think of anything less enjoyable than to spend the weekend coped up with a group of guys moaning and groaning they can't get out on the lake at midnight tonight.

So here I am ... howling at CNN.

BTW: how did last weekend work out for you?

May 9, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

Bill Kleinsturn

--------------------------------------
    Why blame Sen. Reid? I guess it has never occurred to you that Democrats can silently filibuster bills, too. Republicans do it all of the time, or didn't you know?

May 9, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Silence DoGood

@Tommy G
    -–

---------
    Benghazi – the new Birther movement

May 9, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. dave

Breaking News: Rahm Emanuel backs Hillary Clinton for president. WOW.

May 9, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. dave

Just like in 2008, Hillary will not even get the DNC nomination. Truly, what makes her a more qualified and better candidate now than she was 8 years ago?

May 9, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Oh Lynda that doesn't sound like fun. Well you know what they say about the best laid plans..... My car was in the shop and I found out the engine is gone so that sent me straight into a slight depression.... So I didn't make it to the parade. But I had Mexican food and Margaritas at home.....

Have fun fishing...

May 9, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. Lynda/Minnesota

"That is why they are dead and can't tell us about it .. "

Yep. Dead is dead, eh?

We have to go back to long, long ago before we reach the point of there never having been "attacks and dead" during prior Administrations. But hey. I do understand this BENGHAZI thingy is convenient for GOPerville.

Please proceed with the fundraising. It's become the newest GOPer gutter-low to date.

May 9, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |