May 16th, 2014
2 months ago

Peter King tells Hillary Clinton: 'Get ready'

(CNN) - Rep. Peter King said Friday he warned Hillary Clinton that she should prepare for a potential presidential showdown.

The longtime congressman from New York is still considering a White House bid and has traveled to New Hampshire, which holds the first-in-the-nation primary, to try and make inroads with voters.

"I'm certainly looking at it. I'll be back in New Hampshire on June 21st, and when I saw Hillary Clinton yesterday I told her to get ready," the Republican said with a smile on CNN's "Wolf."

If the former secretary of state makes another run for president, she's considered the favorite in the 2016 Democratic primary.

Pressed by Wolf Blitzer on whether King really thinks he could become the GOP nominee and go head to head with Clinton, King said "it would be a good show."

On a more serious note, King added the real reason he's thinking about running is to combat what he sees as a rising isolationist wing in the party.

"I see people like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, and to me, I don't want the Republican Party going in that direction," he said. "Whether it's me or someone else, I want to do all that I can to make sure that what I call the 'realistic foreign policy wing' and 'national security wing' of the Republican Party does not give in to the isolationists."

Earlier this month, King said in a radio interview that his only real competition would be former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who's also thinking about running.

"Quite frankly, other than Jeb Bush I don't really see anybody else in the Republican Party that I should be that worried about," he said.

CNN's Ashley Killough and Sara Fischer contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Peter King
  1. it must be said

Don't waste your time and money. You have a 0.00000001% chance of winning the nomination.

May 16, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Al-NY,NY

go ahead. she'd clean your clock in a heartbeat but don't let that stop you. we love watching GOP clowns try to make themselves appeal to more than the zealots

May 16, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

Peter King actually DID pal around with terrorists: He started supporting the Irish Republican Army back in the late 1970s. He traveled to Northern Ireland to meet with senior members of the IRA, and counted many of them as friends.

Rep. King compared Gerry Adams (the leader of Sinn Fein) to George Washington, and said that the British government is a murder machine.

King and being elected POTUS?

NEXT!

May 16, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

--------------------------------------
    The fight for the soul of the republican party is on. Sorry Peter, you're just too, how can I put it? Moderate. There's no room for moderates in today's GOTP. You guys allowed this to happen. Democrats had nothing to do with the hijacking of your party. Just imagine what's going to happen to your party once Pres. Obama is out of office. You'll still have your crazy, extremists, racists, RWNJs in Congress.

May 16, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. NoKing

May 16, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Thomas

Peter King is like the guy at the local bar who knows everything , and is always told it's time to go home .

Call a cab Peter !

May 16, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. Gunderson

Well,
    No doubt Hillary is as ready as What-His-Name was. Look how that worked out. The Huge Mess invented by the Liberals is still growing. Can Rome be far behind?

May 16, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"King is a dangerous neocon who does not come across as very intelligent. He is a classic example of what's wrong with the GOP. People like Rand Paul and Cruz have us moving in the right direction, we should stand by them."

Please proceed...

May 16, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

I second that notion.

May 16, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Turdgyl

ACA is law. Hilly and dem ticket all way 2016!

May 16, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Tony

One difference between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans don't let things like bad poll numbers bother them. Hillary has a big lead over every possible Republican opponent for 2016, but Republicans are not going to concede anything, at least in public. Their voters are the same way. Their voters shut out information that they don't like, so they are never discouraged. They turn out and vote. Democrats, on the other hand, pay attention to pollsters and media pundits telling them that they will lose, and worry about things that they can't control. They do a lot of hand-wringing in public, which is not helpful. If Democrats get discouraged and they don't show up to vote, then they will lose big like the media pundits have been predicting. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

One thing Democrats can control is to turn out and vote. In 2012, Democrats won 1.3 million more votes than Republicans in the House elections. When both Democrats and Republicans turn out, Republicans can't win. If Democrats turn out this year, 2014 will not be a repeat of 2010.

May 16, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Rep. King isn't far enough to the right. He's more of an establishment person that a Tea Party type. He's going to discover what Mitt Romney did, that you're going to have to learn how to run with knuckles of your right hand dragging the ground in order to get the Republican nomination.

May 16, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Mr. Balls

Keep dreaming...

May 16, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Rafael

I have a better chance to be elected President that King!!! King is an idiot. Yes I a a republican.

May 16, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. Claude

I talk to a lot of Republicans, and not one of them mentions Peter King as an interesting possibility. The names I hear all the time are Jeb Bush and Rand Paul.

May 16, 2014 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. David L Laidig

Vote your wallet, not somebody else's

May 16, 2014 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. Larry

Sure Hilary, get ready for your psychiatric evaluation for severe mental illness. Remember, she bumped her head and needed medical attention. She is not qualified to handle a nuclear or any other national security issue.

May 16, 2014 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. Whirling Dervish

His whole life he was part of a most corrupt gang of thieves called the Nassau County Republican Machine. He is not somebody who should take a moral high-ground on anybody or anything.

May 16, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |