RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'
May 16th, 2014
2 months ago

RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'

(CNN) - The Republican National Committee has apparently embraced a new slogan.

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

The party committee is selling t-shirts boasting the phrase, which originated from Gov. Susana Martinez's personal story of how she realized she was a Republican.

The New Mexico governor, who's running for re-election this year, has frequently shared her story of transitioning from a Democrat to the GOP.

Perhaps most memorably, she recalled the moment during her speech at the 2012 Republican National Convention. She said she and her husband had lunch with some Republican friends and was surprised to find that they agreed on so many things.

"We talked about many issues, like welfare, is it the way of life or hand up? Talked about size of government, how much should it tax families and small businesses? And when we left that lunch, we got in the car and I looked over at Chuck and said, `I'll be damned. We're Republicans.'"

She repeated her story in an email blast Friday from the RNC, saying her team created the t-shirt and added "I want you to be the first to get one."

The shirt can be purchased with a donation of $29 or more to the RNC.

rnc tshirt

As the nation's first Hispanic woman elected governor and as the chief executive of a blue state, Martinez has been mentioned as a potential presidential contender. She's listed on the RNC's straw poll website of possible candidates.

The shirt also comes weeks after Martinez took some heat over her straight-talking language. Mother Jones published previously unreleased audio recordings of the governor and her aides using coarse language while talking about her political opponents.

Martinez reportedly admitted she's used some four letter words in her life–"I've had to fund the cuss jar a few times"–but went on to blast the news outlet for "peddling false, personal attacks against me, using stolen audiotapes from our debate prep sessions four years ago."

Filed under: New Mexico • RNC • Susana Martinez
  1. Chris-E...al

I Would have made it say . Dont be tupid vote for cupid . Repubs the party of love .

May 16, 2014 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Bill from GA

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

Yes, if there's any justice in the afterlife.

May 16, 2014 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. Chipster

Wow, I think Democrats might actually agree with that they will.

May 16, 2014 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  4. Sniffit

How nice: the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

May 16, 2014 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  5. sad state of affairs

So, you don't want what you said used against you, we'll I'll be damned, your a Republican!

May 16, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

"The shirt can be purchased with a donation of $29 or more to the RNC."

No doubt it'll be a big seller for those who feel the need to make a fool of themselves. I'll be damned if I ever become stupid enough to purchase ... let alone wear for all to see ... such classless ignorance.

May 16, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Gurgyl

I don't buy this trash....

May 16, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

If the definition of a republican nowadays is going against the will of the people, then you certainly are a republican. I'd like to use that t-shirt for my bunghole.

May 16, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

I've always thought that being damned was not such a good thing.

May 16, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. Tony

Please understand why you are damned (Hint: it is your policies). It is the first step to salvation.

May 16, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  11. don in albuquerque

Should only be sold in pairs, The "I'll be damned", the the "I'm with stupid."

May 16, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy NYC
    "I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

I've always thought that being damned was not such a good thing.
    ----------

Yeah. Wearing a t-shit damning oneself as a Republican?

A political first. No doubt about it.

May 16, 2014 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. S.B. Stein

The questions we should all be asking ourselves is about what we need government to do and what we want government to do because they are seperate questions. We might government to do very little, but we will need it to do more because these wealthy conservatives don't step up and do what is needed so that government can pull back from doing social welfare functions.

May 16, 2014 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. Silence DoGood

May 16, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. AlbaMN

Most far right Republicans I know will be damned if they don't change their ways.

May 16, 2014 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Tony

Republicans may have a reason to believe that they are damned. In a sign of the Apocalypse, both the Fox News Poll and the Rasmussen Poll show that the Democrats have a lead in the generic congressional ballot. The Fox News Poll gives Democrats a 3-point lead. The Rasmussen Poll gives Democrats a 2-point lead.

May 16, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  17. Sniffit

Knowing is half the battle...

And, frankly, based on his writings and speeches over the past year or so, I rather think Pope Francis would agree with the T-shirt.

May 16, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  18. Sniffit

"If I am a liberal libertarian, can I refuse service in my store to anyone wearing this shirt?"

I'm sorry, but while everyone else's doesn't anymore, THEIR victimhood still counts.

May 16, 2014 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. Gunderson

Aw,so,
    Sooner or later people see the light. But too many times it is after the horse has escaped to close the barn door. So you want to be successful but you don't want to put in the time? Still looking for a free lunch? Free Health Care, free housing, free food, free everything? That's what the peasants voted for. And we have the 17.7 Trillion dollar federal debt to prove it.
    you want something? As hard as it is to understand, you will have to get it yourself. Nobody else is going to provide it for you.. Wise up.

May 16, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Sniffit

Haha...Obama should wear one to his next press conference that says "Well I'll be damned...I'm black"...stick it right back in their faces.

May 16, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

I've always thought that being damned was not such a good thing.
    ------------

Oh, but I like the effect. Openly damning oneself and being proud of it is a political first. Family values has come a long way in GOPerville. Give them credit for recognizing their path forward is becoming their own biggest downfall.

A political statement .... stamped, sealed, and delivered. Yeah. Works for me.

May 16, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

Sorry for the double post, Rudy. I've got the disappearing post syndrome going strong this morning.

May 16, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. rs

Well, they actually are... :-)

May 16, 2014 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. Rudy NYC

-----------------------------------------
    She'd probably be shocked to learn that Democrats feel the same way on the issues she cited. The difference between the parties is how to fix the problems. Republicans seem to think that a tax cut will fix everything, and that the wealth will just trickle down to the middle class and the poor.

I guess the woman hasn't noticed the fact that Republicans fight against the very things that would enable wealth to trickle down to the poor. Republicans rail against "the redistribution of wealth", yet their trickle down economic theories that they use to justify tax cuts for the wealthy are exactly that: a redistribution of wealth. Republicans rail against minimum wages, collective bargaining by unions, and anything else that gives an ounce of power to individuals who are faced against the collective power of a corporation and its' shareholders.

May 16, 2014 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  25. Patriot

When did Rosanne Barr become a Governor??

May 16, 2014 11:43 am at 11:43 am |