RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'
May 16th, 2014
2 months ago

RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'

(CNN) - The Republican National Committee has apparently embraced a new slogan.

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

The party committee is selling t-shirts boasting the phrase, which originated from Gov. Susana Martinez's personal story of how she realized she was a Republican.

The New Mexico governor, who's running for re-election this year, has frequently shared her story of transitioning from a Democrat to the GOP.

Perhaps most memorably, she recalled the moment during her speech at the 2012 Republican National Convention. She said she and her husband had lunch with some Republican friends and was surprised to find that they agreed on so many things.

"We talked about many issues, like welfare, is it the way of life or hand up? Talked about size of government, how much should it tax families and small businesses? And when we left that lunch, we got in the car and I looked over at Chuck and said, `I'll be damned. We're Republicans.'"

She repeated her story in an email blast Friday from the RNC, saying her team created the t-shirt and added "I want you to be the first to get one."

The shirt can be purchased with a donation of $29 or more to the RNC.

rnc tshirt

As the nation's first Hispanic woman elected governor and as the chief executive of a blue state, Martinez has been mentioned as a potential presidential contender. She's listed on the RNC's straw poll website of possible candidates.

The shirt also comes weeks after Martinez took some heat over her straight-talking language. Mother Jones published previously unreleased audio recordings of the governor and her aides using coarse language while talking about her political opponents.

Martinez reportedly admitted she's used some four letter words in her life–"I've had to fund the cuss jar a few times"–but went on to blast the news outlet for "peddling false, personal attacks against me, using stolen audiotapes from our debate prep sessions four years ago."

Filed under: New Mexico • RNC • Susana Martinez
  1. Joe

I'll be damned, we're dumb! We didn't even know that we're Republicans. This sure explains a lot. Sorry to my friends in New Mexico, but this does not reflect well on the electorate there. Oy!

May 16, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. jesueislord

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican." Now you have it republicans are damned!

May 16, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Rosslaw

Martinez needs to videotape herself putting her feet in the 'ol stirrups and submitting to an invasive, pre-abortion ultrasound favored by republican men to "educate" women about themselves, and then explain how much smarter the whole process made her. Or if she's busy maybe Laura Bush. Or maybe Anne Romney. Or they can go on tape and explain how and why they use contraceptives like birth control pills, in all likelihood in connection with menapause, as republicans want to mandate women workers explain to their employers as though the employers were the owners. Just sayin'.

May 16, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. jesueislord

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican." Now you have it republican are damned! It came right out the their mouths!

May 16, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Z

Republicans hate welfare, and they hate decent wages. Is there anything they DO like when it comes to the working poor?

May 16, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. sobryen

Correctly stated: I'll be damned if I am a Republican

May 16, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Jeff

I thought it was the other way around. I am a republican and I....I guess I should say I was a republican for 40 years and I am not a republican anymore. Republicans be damned.

May 16, 2014 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Tim

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican" seems like the PERFECT slogan for the GOP. They damned themselves when they allowed the Tea Party contingent in 2010 to take them over soley to get votes. The GOP leadership is so clearly afraid of the radicals in their party that they can't accomplish anything. Damned, indeed.

May 16, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  9. EZ

I heard that at the $1000 level you could have a chance be Tea Bagged by Satan himself.

May 16, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. NMStan

We're all dammed if we are dispeptic GOPs!

May 16, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  11. ShouldNotAdvertise

Well, no one ever accused them of having a sense of irony or a good grasp of linguistics, but thanks GOP! Many of us agree that you will indeed be damned. I'm just hoping you don't take the rest of us with you.

May 16, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. DustyOnesIsBack

Next President of the United States.

May 16, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  13. Ben

It is good that they are finally acknowledging that all republicans are going to hell.

May 16, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

A recent report out of England has concluded that the United States has already become an oligarchy.

May 16, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. ken

Her next realization will be "I'll be damned I'm a Teabilly"

May 16, 2014 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Vence

" don't want to be a today's republican "

May 16, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Southern Shottie

Thankyou Art!

May 16, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. Jeff

To be a republican today is to abandon all progress and improvements in the country in favor of political gain., Sacrifice everything no matter how it affects the American people as long as it advances the political agenda. That agenda is to oppose Obama at every juncture. Block everything. They have even said those exact words. Their last protest cost taxpayers 24 billion dollars while our National Parks were closed. The only thing the republicans have done that wasn't a form of obstructionism is to seek Obama's birth certificate. They wasted 4 years on that "fools parade"

May 16, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. Tony

Dori, don't be pessimistic. That is what Republicans want you to do. Republicans have nothing going for them this year except for the fact that Democrats usually don't turn out in a midterm election. Yes, Republicans also stacked the cards in their favor by gerrymandering after the 2010 election. The odds for Democrats are not great this year. But take heart. Obamacare has failed to fail. Obama has an approval rating close to 50%, according to the Rasmussen Poll. Mark Prior has a big lead in Arkansas, and Alison Grimes has a chance to upset McConnell in Kentucky. According to RealClearPolitics, a website that keeps track of polls, Democrats are currently in position to hang on to the Senate. If Republicans can't take the Senate this year, they are going to be in big trouble in 2016.

May 16, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Cynic

There are a lot of different ways to interpret that slogan.

Someone in the RNC must be off his/her rocker.

May 16, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Gary

Ill be dammed- Im in idiot. So lets act like 2 year olds and block tax breaks just because we a loosing. Wonder if they will ever grow up and- change a bit verses acting like children.

May 16, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Ok EZ no fair..... You just made me spit Coke all over my brand new work computer and monitor!!! 😄😄😄

May 16, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. Gumby

What eaxctly does that make us open-minded, upright-walking Progressive Democrats? The "Walking UN-DAMNED?"

May 16, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Smeagel4T

I discovered that I loved handing out massive amounts of corporate welfare and dumping tons of welfare through the Pentagon to the bloated welfare queen corporation in the military industrial complex. Well I'll be damned, I'm a Republican.

May 16, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. hermann tambeau

Beware of the person (man or women) who changes religion!!!

May 16, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |