RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'
May 16th, 2014
2 months ago

RNC sells t-shirt: 'I'll be damned, I'm a Republican'

(CNN) - The Republican National Committee has apparently embraced a new slogan.

"I'll be damned, I'm a Republican."

The party committee is selling t-shirts boasting the phrase, which originated from Gov. Susana Martinez's personal story of how she realized she was a Republican.

The New Mexico governor, who's running for re-election this year, has frequently shared her story of transitioning from a Democrat to the GOP.

Perhaps most memorably, she recalled the moment during her speech at the 2012 Republican National Convention. She said she and her husband had lunch with some Republican friends and was surprised to find that they agreed on so many things.

"We talked about many issues, like welfare, is it the way of life or hand up? Talked about size of government, how much should it tax families and small businesses? And when we left that lunch, we got in the car and I looked over at Chuck and said, `I'll be damned. We're Republicans.'"

She repeated her story in an email blast Friday from the RNC, saying her team created the t-shirt and added "I want you to be the first to get one."

The shirt can be purchased with a donation of $29 or more to the RNC.

rnc tshirt

As the nation's first Hispanic woman elected governor and as the chief executive of a blue state, Martinez has been mentioned as a potential presidential contender. She's listed on the RNC's straw poll website of possible candidates.

The shirt also comes weeks after Martinez took some heat over her straight-talking language. Mother Jones published previously unreleased audio recordings of the governor and her aides using coarse language while talking about her political opponents.

Martinez reportedly admitted she's used some four letter words in her life–"I've had to fund the cuss jar a few times"–but went on to blast the news outlet for "peddling false, personal attacks against me, using stolen audiotapes from our debate prep sessions four years ago."

Filed under: New Mexico • RNC • Susana Martinez
  1. hotpoker

An they are.

May 16, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Brian

We're all damned - the Republicans control the House of Representatives.

May 16, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. dannyCali

Yeap........they're really damned.........of big "NO" and "NO"........!!!

May 16, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"I wish I could agree with your conclusions. Unfortunately, congressional districts have been gerrymandered so wildly in favor of Republican candidates that the generic ballot will not be reflected in the actual electoral results."

Indeed. They lost the vote count for control of the House by 1.3M votes last time and yet kept themselves a nice majority (altho they did lose a few seats). It runs 100% contrary to the way the House of Representatives was designed by the founding fathers to be the chamber of Congress that is most responsive to popular/majority rule.

May 16, 2014 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  5. Hermann Munster

I am a Republican as well. The only problem is that in the day of the tea party, the only way to be reasonable about anything is to vote for Democrats and hope. Current politicians labeling themselves 'Republican' are nuts. Just ask Darryl Issa, Rand Paul etc..

May 16, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Dennis

I may start selling t-shirts that state,I'm damn glad I'm not a Republican!

May 16, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. a little sad

This ranks up with Goldwater's catch phrase for the 1964 Presidential election:

"In your heart, you know he's right"

May 16, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Basic Math

This dimwitted, "goly, gee-whiz, shucks" attempt at self awareness rings false. She changed her stripes because the grass is always greener where the dogs are s#itting. Apparently someone thought there was a mint to be made having this fictional epiphany emblazoned all over a shirt at a time when the GOP has been obsessing about its image and unfavorable demographics. Winning off-year elections can only take you so far. Poorly veiled attempt at netting moderate voters the R's have been hemorrhaging since the Bush-era and into the Tea/birther period. The R's can do better.

May 16, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. Phil Esteen

Finally Republicans are telling the truth about something!

Too bad they deem it necessary to restrict the truth to a t-shirt.

May 16, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |