Strange times: Republicans block tax credits - as a protest
May 16th, 2014
6 months ago

Strange times: Republicans block tax credits - as a protest

(CNN) - It is a rare, strange day when Senate Republicans vote to block billions in tax cuts. But that's what happened Thursday when they chose to freeze a massive tax credit package in order to protest how Democrats are running the chamber.

By a vote of 53-40, the EXPIRE Act, which would extend $85 billion in tax credits, failed to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster.

FULL POST

Filed under: Congress • Taxes
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - Take Back the House

What are the tax credits going toward? You could at least put that in the article CNN.

May 16, 2014 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Good. Too many people and companies are getting those anyway, with absolutely no justification.

May 16, 2014 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

@Dutch

Good question. I guess that they must not be going to the job creators.

May 16, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Dutch and Rudy I'm wondering the same thing...

May 16, 2014 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. J Anthony

@Tom I: no i'm not ok with it, but I'm even less ok with the constant hypocrisy of righties. You all need to educate yourselves on how our systems really work.

May 16, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

"What happens next?"

I'm surprised after all these years, CNN hasn't yet accepted that facts are facts. What happens is what has happened the past 5 years: GOPerville continues merrily on with their spite filled taking their country back temper tantrum of infantile behavior.

May 16, 2014 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. Tom l

J Anthony,
    You should know that I'm not the "rightie" you think I am. I opposed us going in to Iraq, Afghanistan makes no sense to me and I have always been against the Patriot Act. The hypocrisy on this issue from BOTH sides is remarkable. All of the sudden, people here that are hardcore dems and hardcore liberals have no problem with the drones or the patriot act. But I will agree with you for sure that hearing repubs complain about this is the height of hypocrisy. Just like dems now being fully okay with it today.

May 16, 2014 11:17 am at 11:17 am |