May 17th, 2014
2 months ago

Bush family mourns pooch Miss Beazley

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are mourning the death of White House pet Miss Beazley.

“This weekend our beloved dog, Miss Beazley, was put to rest after a battle with lymphoma. She was a source of joy during our time in Washington and in Dallas," Bush said in a statement Saturday.

The presidential pooch was 9.

"She was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him. She was a guardian to our cats, Bob and Bernadette, who - like Laura and I - will miss her.”

Miss Beazley, a purebred Scottish terrier, was a birthday gift from President Bush to Laura Bush in 2004. She moved into the White House in January 2005, just after Bush's re-election, as a 10-week-old puppy.

Barney, another Scottish terrier, was a gift from Bush to his wife in 2000.

The two were so popular that the White House created a website, Barney.gov, featuring photos and videos.

Barney passed away in February 2013.

–CNN’s Kevin Bohn and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Filed under: Bush administration
  1. amonmouse

Look guys, I didn't think much of W as a president either, but have a heart. A dog that they had for 17 years and was a pet at the White House? Yeah, I think that does count as news, but maybe not front page, and I think people could be a little less callous. The Bush family has my condolences.

May 18, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Bianca

A beloved pet dies and people find a way to connect it to the Iraq war , that is shameful.
    The decision to go to war was put before Senate / Congress and received more than enough votes than even needed from both Republicans and Democrats . Those lawmakers could have voted against the war and didn't , so stop blaming Bush.
    I myself was against the war but then my vote didn't count.

May 18, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. janey33

independant jim Did GW mourn the loss of 4400 of our service men/women he sent to Iraq on a lie as much as much as he mourns the loss of a beautiful pet...
    Much more so. You are sick. And the war was not based on a lie. Do your research.

May 18, 2014 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Cher

Condolences to the Bush family, we could all tell how much you loved your precious pets. Thank you for sharing Barney and Miss Beazley with us through the videos made while in the White House, just watched them again in her memory.

May 18, 2014 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. WillyNilly

I never thought much of Bush or his simpering wife, but they have my sympathies for the loss of their beloved pet.

May 18, 2014 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Isabel dimaano

I can feel their pain I lost my dog Jack almost three years ago and I still feel the pain, he was part of the family we miss him a lot. RIP all dogs go to heaven !!!!!

May 18, 2014 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. DankoRamone

Waiiiitt.......it's news that a DOG died? This is even less meaningful than crap about celebs.

May 18, 2014 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  8. aaron

The fact that nonsense like this is published front page and other far more important issues are ignored are downplayed just shows how much propaganda is in the mainstream media news. Where is the front pages news about the thousands of people and animals who have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan under the US fake "war on terror" under both Bush and Obama? Or where is the front page news of the thousands of people killed in multiple countries from drone strikes under both Bush and Obama? No trial, jury, or proof to public ever shown just point your finger and label someone a "terrorist" and then you can go drop some GPS guided freedom on their house and kill them and their family. What a joke this article is on front page.

May 18, 2014 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. darla

--------------------
    Oh I see since those people he send to die in Iraq and those innocent lives lost in Iraq because of a phantom WMD is not a beloved pet of his or that they are not related to him is not a lose to him and therefore he should never grieve for them is that what your saying Bianca?

May 18, 2014 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. twalk

slow news day. Poor dog, had to live with a war criminal.

May 18, 2014 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. Fiona

When are we going to have a president who adopts a shelter pet, and promotes the spaying and neutering of dogs and cats? Why do we always have idjuts who buy so-called purebreds?

May 18, 2014 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  12. benhoody

Someone's dog dies and it's headline news, now that is pathetic, thousands of dogs die and some terribly every day, why are they not in the news, I'm sure their dog and their owners are just as important as some past president and his dog, how desperate for news CNN is.

May 18, 2014 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. Robert constant

Does the Bush family also grieve over the loss of the hundreds of thousands of innocent unarmed civilians who died because of George W. Bush's unnecessary "weapons of mass destruction" war in Iraq? I would consider that a much more significant "NEWS" story.

May 18, 2014 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. J Perez

Outside of the death of my Parents and an older brother the saddest thing i have ever done was putting down our dog. I have gone through it 3 times now and am tearing up writing this.

I never voted for the former President but I share the grief his family is feeling right now.

May 18, 2014 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. Jacqueline

This isn't about George Bush. This is about Scotties. They're cute, and it's sad that the doggies died. 9 doesn't seem very old, though.

May 18, 2014 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. Name vicky pammer

So sorry,Laura. We've been there, twice, with our black poodle, and shepherd collie. It's not easy when they're truly part of the family. God bless.

May 18, 2014 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  17. Guest

I love Scotties.

May 18, 2014 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. just saying

why is this even a news story? i understand it is a beloved pet..but c'mon

May 18, 2014 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  19. john

these are great dogs i have 3.

May 18, 2014 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. truthsayor

I hope they didn't bury that dog because there are a lot of starving children in the US that would have loved to have the meat to eat.

May 18, 2014 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. Eddy Courant

Well Shock and Awe! Shed a tear for all those Iraqi families who lost their pets. And their homes. And their lives. Oh wait, they flew jets into our buildings nevermind. Oh wait, no they didn't.

May 18, 2014 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  22. honeyc

seriously!!!!!! a thieving murderer agenda 21 implementing individual – just a gross person – i remember you waving from air force one on 9/11 and the pain and hysteria that you knew about – you deserve an academy award...sorry about the dog since she didnt do anything

May 18, 2014 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |