May 17th, 2014
7 months ago

Bush family mourns pooch Miss Beazley

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are mourning the death of White House pet Miss Beazley.

“This weekend our beloved dog, Miss Beazley, was put to rest after a battle with lymphoma. She was a source of joy during our time in Washington and in Dallas," Bush said in a statement Saturday.

The presidential pooch was 9.

"She was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him. She was a guardian to our cats, Bob and Bernadette, who - like Laura and I - will miss her.”

Miss Beazley, a purebred Scottish terrier, was a birthday gift from President Bush to Laura Bush in 2004. She moved into the White House in January 2005, just after Bush's re-election, as a 10-week-old puppy.

Barney, another Scottish terrier, was a gift from Bush to his wife in 2000.

The two were so popular that the White House created a website, Barney.gov, featuring photos and videos.

Barney passed away in February 2013.

–CNN’s Kevin Bohn and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Filed under: Bush administration
  1. t

.I didn't like W.'s reign,....but I sure liked his doggies........

May 17, 2014 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Chris-E...al

Mr. Bush and all the Bush family were so much more professional and took the job to protect this nation serious and loved all of us and served for ALL the PPL's of the U.S. . 0bama not so much as anyone can tell by his talk . I had hoped for so so much more from Mr. 0bama .

May 17, 2014 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. Fling Poo On You

And in other parts of the country, thousands of families are mourning the loss of their sons, daughters, brothers and sisters over two illegal wars.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

May 17, 2014 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. H.

The family has my sincerest condolences, however, I am curious because didn't Barney die from Lymphoma too? Is this a coincidence or just another fabrication? Just asking.

May 17, 2014 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Etien de Lamothe-Cassell

Boo Hoo.

May 17, 2014 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. sherman

I am so sorry to read this news. I know what good pet owners you were and how much they meant to you both. Yes – there is still time to do another round, get a puppy!

May 17, 2014 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. deedee2die4

Any time I see or hear of the PoS PotUS, I recall him joking of "No WMDs here, No WMDs there" as soldiers continued to be killed and maimed. I can not believe Dubya is not on trial for treason.

May 17, 2014 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. russ

My cairn terrier Kacie sends her sympathy.

May 17, 2014 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  9. Norm W

Awwww. Will she get a military funeral with full honors?? After all she did work for the Commander in Chief.

May 17, 2014 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  10. Pax

hardest thing I have ever done was to have my dog–Pax–put to sleep–taking her name is my way of showing the love I have for her

May 17, 2014 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  11. larper2

Barney and now Miss Beazley both died of lymphoma over a year apart.

May 17, 2014 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  12. larper2

Barney and Miss Beazley both died of lymphoma over a year apart. Sad to loss two pets one right after the other

May 17, 2014 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  13. jeremy

RIP. Always sad to see an animal pass. Especially if it is your own. In many cases, it can be as devastating as a person going, in a way! The emptiness and sorrow that go along with your pet passing is immense! Because they, unlike many people, love you unconditionally! Peace to the Bush's!

May 17, 2014 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  14. drrichard

I thought of something mean to say, but having lost a beloved terrier too know how hard it can be. Condolences.

May 17, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  15. Jeff

I not a President Bush fan but I hate to see them lose their pets. I'm very sad for them. Woof woof.

May 17, 2014 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Red Menace

I'm not a fan of W. But I am a fan of dogs and the love they can bring.

My sincere condolences to the Bush family for their loss of Miss Beazley.

May 17, 2014 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  17. stooge

Say what you will about the man. You can't help but feel for them losing their pet, though. That is a pain you know is inevitably coming, but it's still terribly sad. George Carlin said that when you get a pet, you're taking on a small tragedy, because you know it's going to end badly. RIP, Miss Beazley.

May 17, 2014 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. satch99

Sadly, the traitor and friends and business partners of the bin laden and Saudi family, still breathe.

May 17, 2014 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. CurmudgeonTx

Mr. and Mrs. Bush and family.

I know it is hard losing one's beloved friend and furry companion. Some are closer to you than most people in your lives and they never ever live long enough, but when you see them suffering from an illness you can't fix, it is better to let them go. God bless you and your family and thank you for all your service to this nation and her people.

May 17, 2014 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. karek40

And this is national news?

May 17, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  21. tdsd

The dog went to a better at age only nine. Even his pet did not have it easy.

May 17, 2014 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  22. Gail Willett

Sorry for your loss of Miss Beazley. I do also know this pain. Prayers to all of you.

May 17, 2014 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  23. Craig

Free at last!

May 17, 2014 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  24. Darrin Waterfulk

Oh no I loved that dog. I once shared a peanut butter spoon with that pooch. Oh jeez wizz.

May 17, 2014 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  25. NoName

Condolences to the families and friends.

May 17, 2014 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |