May 17th, 2014
6 months ago

Bush family mourns pooch Miss Beazley

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are mourning the death of White House pet Miss Beazley.

“This weekend our beloved dog, Miss Beazley, was put to rest after a battle with lymphoma. She was a source of joy during our time in Washington and in Dallas," Bush said in a statement Saturday.

The presidential pooch was 9.

"She was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him. She was a guardian to our cats, Bob and Bernadette, who - like Laura and I - will miss her.”

Miss Beazley, a purebred Scottish terrier, was a birthday gift from President Bush to Laura Bush in 2004. She moved into the White House in January 2005, just after Bush's re-election, as a 10-week-old puppy.

Barney, another Scottish terrier, was a gift from Bush to his wife in 2000.

The two were so popular that the White House created a website, Barney.gov, featuring photos and videos.

Barney passed away in February 2013.

–CNN’s Kevin Bohn and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Filed under: Bush administration
  1. Tripp

Good looking dogs! sorry for the loss.

May 17, 2014 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston,Tx

How sad that Miss Beazley has departed, she was gorgeous. I hope Barney and the rest of the family don't greive too much because she was part of the family. Rest in peace Miss Beazley.

May 17, 2014 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  3. gdaym8

Sorry for your loss to the Bush family. A loss of a pet can be just as hard as the loss as a human family member. I still think about some of my family's pets that have passed.

Now, we show compassion to our pets and "put them to rest" when they are suffering and going to die. Why can't we show this same "compassion" to our human family members when the time comes.......IF that is their wish......?

May 18, 2014 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  4. tid bit

The really sucky part of pet ownership – having to say goodbye. Wish the little guy peace as well as the family.

May 18, 2014 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  5. Asereth

Sorry to hear that..... when I was little I had a doll called Mrs. Beasly. I wonder if they had her in mind when naming Miss Beazley.

May 18, 2014 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  6. thinker1958

funny how dogs are put to rest to keep their dignity and avoid unnecessary suffering but humans, people, don't get the euthanasia they want.

May 18, 2014 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  7. Jose Nieves

We may have political differences but dogs are exempt!

May 18, 2014 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  8. Jimmyjam048

Cute dog. Hopefully she will be re united on the Rainbow bridge.

May 18, 2014 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  9. Robert Hinkle

My condolences to the Bush family. Our pets are family too. I enjoyed showing my children the videos of Miss Beazley's arrival at the White House. I know that your family has many fond memories of both Barney and Miss Beazley.

May 18, 2014 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  10. Steve in MA

My deepest condolences, Mr. President, on the loss of this well loved member of your family. I know the pain you are suffering, and the love you received, as well as gave, was all worth it. Sincerely, a liberal Democrat.

May 18, 2014 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  11. Dan

This is heartbreaking and sad, but also heartwarming. The joy and happiness Miss Beazley brought to Barney, the Commander in Chief, his entire family, and the Country s a whole is enormous. Also, wasn't Miss Beazley a teacher on Little House on the Prarie? I used to have a crush on her.

May 18, 2014 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  12. ratscalion

that is very sad, it's too bad that dogs have such a short life span.

May 18, 2014 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  13. Cooper

Sorry to hear this. It doesn't matter what your political feelings are, when a beloved pet passes away, that should be a focus right now. Gentle thoughts to the entire Bush family (even the cats).

May 18, 2014 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  14. mojoe_h

RIP, Miss Beazley.

May 18, 2014 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  15. jimboob

So Sorry for your loss...
    Pets are an important member of our family and the loss of one is like the loss of a child. Again, so sorry for your loss.

May 18, 2014 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  16. Padric2

Oh, I thought that they were upset about that ugly doll from 'Family Affair'.

May 18, 2014 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  17. Roz

Mutts are better........last longer. The loss of my animals when I lost my house to a fire sure didn't make national news. Guess it only matters if you are wealthy........

May 18, 2014 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. Bianca

Our dog passed from Lymphoma last December. We feel for any pet owner who has to deal with this disease.

May 18, 2014 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Leslie

I know how hard it is to lose a pet. My condolences.

May 18, 2014 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  20. Corran Horn

Very sorry to hear about Mrs. Beasly and about Barney's death a year ago. I had a Scottie once that was a wonderfully loyal, if stubborn, pet. I hope someone preserved those white house videos, they were a lot of fun.

May 18, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  21. JJ

A dog is a family member and usually more loyal too.
    Condolences to The Bush Family.

May 18, 2014 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. Winston Smith

I love dogs, all dogs. This is without question a sad story. and my thoughts go out to the people that love her. Without a doubt she'll be missed for a long time to come.

May 18, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  23. MJC

I know the sad feeling. I also lost my dog on May 1st and he was 9 too. Condolences to the First Family.

May 18, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. airjackie

A sad day as President Bush is still mourning the lost of Barney. Well you can tell the heart of a person by the love they have for their pet. Many Military families understand as they mourned the lost of thousands of soldiers who died in Iraq. Even families in Iraq are still mourning the lost of family members as the invasion of Iraq in March 2003 it seems 56 bombs missed their target as bombs it people sleeping in their homes. Donald Rumsfeld explained stuff happens.

May 18, 2014 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. Sue

Roz, you have lived every pet owners worst nightmare. So very sorry.

May 18, 2014 11:53 am at 11:53 am |