May 17th, 2014
3 months ago

Bush family mourns pooch Miss Beazley

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are mourning the death of White House pet Miss Beazley.

“This weekend our beloved dog, Miss Beazley, was put to rest after a battle with lymphoma. She was a source of joy during our time in Washington and in Dallas," Bush said in a statement Saturday.

The presidential pooch was 9.

"She was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him. She was a guardian to our cats, Bob and Bernadette, who - like Laura and I - will miss her.”

Miss Beazley, a purebred Scottish terrier, was a birthday gift from President Bush to Laura Bush in 2004. She moved into the White House in January 2005, just after Bush's re-election, as a 10-week-old puppy.

Barney, another Scottish terrier, was a gift from Bush to his wife in 2000.

The two were so popular that the White House created a website, Barney.gov, featuring photos and videos.

Barney passed away in February 2013.

–CNN’s Kevin Bohn and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Filed under: Bush administration
  1. Howard

Gee. Funny how they didn't mourn the thousands killed in Iraq and the hundreds murdered by Halliburton.

May 18, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Mario

"All dogs go to heaven"; I feel your pain Mr. President. My family had Cuddles for 17 yrs. Our daughter was 3 yrs old when that amazing Shi Tzu came into her life ; all her growing up was with Cuddles. I still recall my wife calling me at work to tell me the vet office can fit Cuddles in; so, I rush out of the office to take him to be put to sleep. Why did I rush to end his life; I have tears flowing.

May 18, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. aolllllll

cute dog too

May 18, 2014 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Thomas

The guy who sent America to war over WMD's that didn't exist , dog dies ?

May 18, 2014 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. Robert Schoales

Aww gee. How about mourning the dead and wounded from two cockamamie wars that George was responsible for?

May 18, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. kranadon

why is the death of a dog such big news. because anytime some celebritys kid or pet does something its news sheesh.
    stupid waste. i love dogs too but geeze , its a dog just like a million others.

May 18, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Molly

Condolences to the Bush Family. It is always very sad to lose a pet that has been one's faithful companion for so many years!

May 18, 2014 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. xJohnPx

We would have been better off if Miss Beazley was the president and George was the family pet.

May 18, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. IraqVet1984

An insightful article in regards to the first family's values as they compare with the higher order value cherishing human life over that of an animal. Our virtue as humans is that we can show mercy and love to all living things; after reading this article I'm glad that the Bushes at least have a modicum of humanity as it relates to a dead dog...didn't know they had it in them (smh)... I can only pray that in thier micro-moment of humanity the Bushes also release a statement sending condolences to the families of the million+ Iraqi and afghani people whose loved ones (both human and animal), as a direct consequence of thier orders our soliders faithfully carried out, did not end as peacefully as MizBeasley's.

May 18, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  10. independant jim

Did GW mourn the loss of 4400 of our service men/women he sent to Iraq on a lie as much as much as he mourns the loss of a beautiful pet

May 18, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. PoliticiansREvil

RIP you were owned by an honorable man..............

May 18, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. F W

George W. Bush sent 5,000 American men and women to their deaths in a needless war. Neither Bush nor CNN ever spent much time eulogizing them, let alone knowing their names. What a sad commentary that this story gets front page news.

May 18, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  13. karen wiseman

My pqayers are wiuh ya

May 18, 2014 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. susan

it leaves a hole in your heart. losing a beloved pet is just like losing a member of the family. my heart goes out to the bush family. 

May 18, 2014 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Roseanne Marie

We are given such a short time to spend with our furry family members, and yet they manage to fit the love of a lifetime in a few short years. My heart goes out to the Bush family during this sad time. Losing one dog is bad enough. But to lose Barney last year and Miss Beazley this past weekend must feel unbearable. RIP little lady.

May 18, 2014 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  16. Diehard GOP

My condolences to the Bush family. On the other hand, with animals that homely, death is typically hoped for and welcomed, so this is truly a win for Miss Beazley

May 18, 2014 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  17. Carol

Our sympathy to the President and Laura Bush on having to say goodbye to their much loved pet. We lost our precious, almost eleven yr. old Maltese, Mars, in April from a devastating disease that hits middle-age toy dogs mostly. It is called GME.

May 18, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. musclecar61

It's tough loosing a pet you love as they are family just like people, I have a Dog Titan (Saint Benard Mastiff mix) and a cat Ratchet i love the very much and would miss them. My best to the Bush's.

May 18, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. Josie

I've had four dogs before Prince and they are still my heart. Prince is like my son. Our family would not know what to do without him.

May 18, 2014 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. DYB

Animals are an important part of our lives. The Bush's shared Barney and Miss Beazley with us. I enjoyed their Christmas videos a lot. Like people no one animal is more important that another. Just love the one you have every single day. We all dread the day one of ours has to leave us.

Condolences to all those who loved Miss Beazley.

May 18, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Name bet1125

There is nothing so pure in life as the devotion and loualty of a dog. A friend of mine lost her border collie recently and I asked her opinion on why God lets us live 70, 80 or 90 years but only lets a dog live 10 to 15 years. Her answer was brilliant. "That's easy....because if he let them live longer than that they would become just like us."

May 18, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Guest

Scotties are the most beautiful dogs. I wish I had one.

May 18, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Jack Chapple

I feel your pain :( It is so difficult to lose a beloved pet. Our thoughts are with you and your family Mr. President. :(

May 18, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  24. VEW2012

Condolences to the Bush family, losing a cherished family pet is always hard.

May 18, 2014 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. Bill

R.I.P. Miss Beazley, and condolences to the Bush family. The loss of a pet is a terrible thing.

May 18, 2014 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |