May 18th, 2014
4 months ago

Romney calls for NH police commissioner to apologize, resign for Obama slur

(CNN) - Mitt Romney is calling on a police commissioner to apologize and resign after using the N-word to describe President Obama

"The vile epithet used and confirmed by the commissioner has no place in our community: He should apologize and resign,” Romney said Sunday in a statement provided to CNN.

Robert Copeland, 82, is the police commissioner in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire - where Romney owns a home and spends a lot of time.

On Thursday evening Copeland refused to apologize at a town meeting for using the term.

The Boston Herald first reported Romney's statement.

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire • President Obama
  1. Lynsu

You did the right thing Mitt.....;-)

May 19, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  2. Kent

It is a very embarassing time to be a Republican. Mitt did show class in this case.

May 19, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

@marsh 0235. And that is exactly the problem. Justice is not color blind. Both blacks, whites and Latinos commit crimes but the blacks and Latinos get much stiffer sentences while whites get lenient ones. Blacks get felonies while whites get misdemeanors. Right here in Michigan, all white juries try blacks all day long. Blacks are automatically disqualified from serving on juries. I've had my drivers license for 30 years and have been registered to vote almost that long and I have never been called to serve on a jury. But guess what. The little 18 year old I work with has, twice.
    ---------
    I think you're "little 18 year old" is pulling your leg... since you have to be 18 to be selected, I'm pretty sure it's damn near impossible to be selected for jury dudt twice in less than a year.

May 19, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Bill

OMG! Sticks and stones, people!
    It is just a word. Unless of course you feel it identifies you. For me, no word, color, etc identifies me. My character and integrity is what identifies me so call me every name in the book. It just shows the name caller is the dope.

Now if you start taking away the right to free speech, free thinking, and telling people how they have to think and feel, regardless if it is negative or not, then you are as bad as any of them.
    ============================================================
    If you referred to your boss at work by a racially tinged, derogatory name, then you'd probably be fired for it. How is what this sheriff did any different? The POTUS is ultimately his boss of bosses.

May 19, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Seth

The guy is never going to apologize. It's obvious he despises non-whites. He just needs to be fired and then everyone can move on.

May 19, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. KelvinSampson

Imagine the words that Barry and his wife use to describe the middle class that they've set out to destroy!!!!

May 19, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. denver

This is what bugs me about Romney- well, apart from his taste in running mate:
    He's not a bad guy. And, really, he's a competent leader. He's the kind of guy I wouldn't have minded running things if he weren't simply wrong about some important philosophical realities as regards the importance and role of the government.

May 19, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Josh

Why does anyone care what Romney has to say? And could we please stop collectively being shocked and outraged when an old white guy is racist? Old people are racist - that's just the way it is!

May 19, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. shuman

Romney is still a class act all the way.

May 19, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. MirrorMirror

Romney is such a phony. Had this happened during the time he was running, he would have invited that old fart on stage to converse with an empty chair.

May 19, 2014 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Bo T.

Why is he even working at his age? Especially as a police commisisoner. He's gonna die soon anyway... fire him!

May 19, 2014 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. drew

Those who point out that this is an issue of mere words, or some sort of issue of unrestrained speech, miss Romney's greater point: that every time the GOP takes a step toward distancing themselves from their reputation of a "angry-whites only club," some guy like this or that Bundy guy shows up. Romney is trying to see to it the Republican Party doesn't evaporate as our culture changes, so far from a "thought control" issue, Romney's being very pragamatic.

May 19, 2014 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Well Fair you might be right but she herself told me this just a few weeks ago. She was asking me how to get out of jury duty.... Ironic right since I've never been selected... I will admit I was suspicious of her having been selected twice at 18... Or she may be 19, I don't remember which....

May 19, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. Bill

If this guy speakes openly about a Harvard educated,Harvard Professor of constitutional law,the U.S. Senator from Illinois,and the twice elected President of the United States Of America,then what chance does an 18 yr. old black kid have for justice in his town?

May 19, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Y is this 82 year old Police Chief anyway?

May 19, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

You're probably right Fair. But she told me herself after asking me how to get out of it... Ironic since I've never been selected.

May 19, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  17. Citizen

This is what you get when you let someone run unopposed! Get involved in community politics! It is your Community/State/Country!!! Clearly there is a more qualified person ot hold his position....

May 19, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. Dean

denver

This is what bugs me about Romney- well, apart from his taste in running mate:
    _____________________________________________________________

Which made him about 100 times more qualified than Obama.

May 19, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Thank you Bill!!!

May 19, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Jojola

For all of you who are defending this racist by touting "free speech," this has noting to do with freedom of speech. Here we have a police commissioner (government worker) elected by "the people" making vile racist remarks about the President of the United States. As a police commissioner, he's supposed to be held at a higher standard and should be terminated for conduct unbecoming as an elected official as soon as he uttered such nasty words. Anyone else making these remarks on a government salary would have been fired immediately.

May 19, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  21. Aaron

This is what happens when you late an 80+ year old do anything in public without supervision and in an official capacity.

May 19, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. denver

@Dean, re: "Which made him about 100 times more qualified than Obama."

Disagree. But you're welcome to your opinion, of course.

May 19, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. gsmith

The policeman was right.

May 19, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. g

Obama would NEVER do the same for Mitt Romney. Way to go, Mitt!

May 19, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. Frank

I think it's silly to demand apologies from anyone. Why? So you can get a fake "I'm sorry" that they don't mean? In America we have the freedom to be morons. Retire him so he can pursue his rights.

May 19, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |