Biden: 'Assume every microphone is on'
Vice President Joe Biden takes a selfie with riders participating in the 2014 Road 2 Recovery Memorial Challenge (CNN)
May 26th, 2014
7 months ago

Biden: 'Assume every microphone is on'

(CNN) - Be wary of every microphone.

That was Vice President Joe Biden's advice Monday to a crowd at the kickoff for the Road 2 Recovery Memorial Challenge - where 200 cyclists, including injured veterans, ride 325 miles from Washington to Virginia Beach.

The man introducing the vice president described the day's event similarly to how Biden famously described Obamacare when the President signed the historic health care reform bill into law.

Marine vet who took grenade blast for comrade to receive Medal of Honor

At the 2010 bill signing, Biden turned to Obama and said with a big smile, "This is a big f-ing deal!"

And so the saga of Biden being Biden continued.

"For those of you who don't know, Joe is famous for some of his one liners," the speaker said Monday. "There was a bill signing at the White House...and he said it was a big f-ing deal. And that was a quote...If I may say, sir, Ride to Recovery is a big f-ing deal." (And yes, he did use the actual word.)

In his Memorial Day speech to the riders, Biden said, "Piece of advice about that BFD stuff: Assume every microphone is on."

"I just want you to know, I didn't intentionally say that," Biden continued. "I actually turned and I said, 'Mr. President,' and I whispered in his ear. Unfortunately, I was looking in the direction of one guy who could actually read lips - not a joke. Because no one picked it up at the time and one of the reporters read lips. Thank God my mother was gone or I'd have been one dead vice president."

And what Biden event would be complete without some 2016 presidential fodder?

The speaker introducing the VP said "at some point in the future Joe is going to run for president again."

Reacting the comment, Biden, who's mulling another White House bid, made the sign of the cross.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Related: America's famous war heroes

Obama thanks troops in Afghanistan, says 'Al Qaeda is on its heels … because of you'

Hagel on VA scandal: "It makes me sick to my stomach"

Filed under: Joe Biden • Veterans
  1. ED1

Starting to look like Obama another photo opt.

May 26, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

I bet he is enjoying. The best vp.

May 26, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. sonnie3

His mind is connected to his loose lips and that will get him in deeper do do in the near future.

May 26, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain - Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

Yes, Joe, occasionally swears. He needs to be more careful, but I still think he's a great VP. Actions speak louder than words, and when you look at the damage the gop/tea bags have done to our country, what with their coddling of the oligarchs, screwing the most vulnerable among us, and doing everything they can the last 6 years to make our President and our country fail, I'll take a little profanity over the gop/tea bags profane actions ANY DAY.

May 26, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. Thomas Harold Richards

Why worry if the microphone is on or not? Dem/Libs have free reign to make any racist statements they want:

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." Joe Biden

May 26, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Free Man in the Republic of Texas

WE will fight for you
    WE have your back
    WE care

'Assume every microphone is on'

# Save our Vet's from the VA
    or
    # PUBLIC UNIONS FOREVER

What will OBAMA choose ???

May 26, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Graham Krueger

The conscience of the administration, and a great senator before that. He's got my vote unless someone like Warren or O'Malley runs. I'd take him over Clinton or Obama in a heartbeat, to say nothing of conservative Dems like Castro and Cuomo.

Run, Joe, run! I've got seven years campaign experience and I want to work for you!

May 26, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Chris-E...al

0ver 3/4 of the dems Biden included are nothing more than fakes and show clowns playing for the camera its just a very bad movie with no stars just flops and dopes .

May 26, 2014 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Bigwilliestyles

Gop feels that saying "failed presidency" enough will make it true; it will, to the folks who never accepted a Black man as the holder of the most powerful office in the world in the first place. Oh, and the rest of the right-wing idiots.

May 26, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. Marie MD

@Chris, what about your teaklans showing up at the WWII memorial pretending they care about those veterans when they were the ones who shut down the government (national parks included)?
    The best part of that was one of them being told off by a man who works for the government, a park ranger and a young man who literally ran one of them our of the area asking questions?
    How quickly we forget. At least Biden's son served!

May 27, 2014 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  11. hkirwin

ThinkAgain – Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

=================================================================================

I bet that he thinks he is actually normal also.

May 27, 2014 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  12. hkirwin

Bigwilliestyles

==========================

I don't believe that they even need to repeat it once for most rational human beings to know that its true.

May 27, 2014 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  13. hkirwin

Graham Krueger

==============================

LOL...just another unemployed Democrat looking for work.

May 27, 2014 06:57 am at 6:57 am |