Christie: 'I am much smaller now'
May 28th, 2014
3 months ago

Christie: 'I am much smaller now'

(CNN) – Gov. Chris Christie is getting some compliments about his shrinking waist line.

After filing a complaint with Christie at a town hall Wednesday in Ocean County, New Jersey, one woman told the Republican governor he looks a lot "smaller."

"Let's not be totally unfair, I am much smaller now than I used to be," he said. "I used to be bigger."

A little over a year ago, Christie revealed that he underwent lap-band surgery a few months prior, in February 2013.

The governor, who's thinking about running for president, said Wednesday that his wife tells him he needs to buy new suits.

"But I'm on a budget," he added. "I gotta be careful, you know?"

Not long after that, another woman prefaced her question to the governor with some more affirmation.

"By the way, you do look fantastic," she said.

"God bless you," he said in return, as the audience applauded. "I love coming to Ocean County."

Christie talks to Jake Tapper about his weight

Christie knocks Letterman for fat jokes

Christie's weight: Does it matter?

In February, he received a similar compliment at a town hall.

"Rome wasn't unbuilt in a day," he responded.

While he may be losing weight, he still gets ribbed from time to time about his size. Comedian Joel McHale made multiple jokes about the governor at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Complete Coverage: 2014 Midterm Elections

CNN's Ashley Killough and Steve Kastenbaum contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. ES

Smaller won't get this RINO any votes. Put a fork in him, he's done.

May 29, 2014 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. Michael from San Francisco

While I do not want to diminish his healthy accomplishment, why would we want to vote for a guy that decides to take the easy way out (bariatric surgery) rather than work hard and be focused and disciplined?

May 29, 2014 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  3. twalk

only problem is Christie still has they huge ego and mouth. He still reminds me of Humpy Dumpy and a Rollie Pollie

May 29, 2014 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. JustinEiler

I do not like Gov. Christie. I do not support his policies, I do not support his management style, and I do not support his actions. But I do support his efforts to get into better health.

May 30, 2014 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  5. IDontKnow

Smaller so he blocks off less traffic maybe?

May 30, 2014 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  6. Shane Kelley

Everything shrunk including his image.

May 30, 2014 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  7. CEC

His following certainly is.

May 30, 2014 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  8. robert young

Can't wait for nice Catholic boy to be President of USA.

May 30, 2014 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  9. smaller

The headline made me think Christie was talking about his brain, not his waist.

May 30, 2014 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  10. kim

a small man indeed

May 30, 2014 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  11. mark b

Indeed, a small small man.

May 30, 2014 06:28 am at 6:28 am |