June 1st, 2014
2 months ago

Jim Webb weighs in on his political future

(CNN) – Former Democratic Sen. Jim Webb is still not ruling out a potential presidential bid.

"We're taking this one day at a time," Webb said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" when asked if he was interested in the presidency.

Webb left the Senate at the end of his first term in January 2013 and last month published a book, "I Heard My Country Calling." From the time he left Congress until he released his new title, Webb stayed out of the limelight to focus on his writing and "clear his head."

But he said he's "very happy to be back in the discussion - that's the main thing."

"I think I'm better when I can have my own voice," he told Candy Crowley, CNN's chief political correspondent. "It's one of the reasons that I stepped away from the Senate."

Related: Former Sen. Jim Webb thinking about White House run

A veteran of the Vietnam War who also served as Navy secretary and assistant defense secretary, Webb reiterated that he's not interested in leading the Veterans Affairs Department after the resignation of Secretary Eric Shinseki.

"I'm always happy to give advice, but I'm really not interested in being in the administration right now," Webb said. He expressed similar sentiments about the VA position Friday on CNN's "The Lead With Jake Tapper."

On Sunday, he said the VA needs a leader "who knows how to run institutions and who understands the nature of government bureaucracies."

"You need to have both," he added.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: Jim Webb • TV-State of the Union
  1. just asking

-–

the guy never struck me as a complete moron, which is what you would have to be to join this incompetent clown show known as the obama administration. and i'm sure obama is looking for one of his trusted political butt lickers to fill the position and cover obama's backside with lies, excuses, obstruction and obfuscation.

June 1, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Thomas

I love the song , " Wichita Lineman.

June 1, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. apetra

His flip to the Democrats at a time the party moved so wildly to the Left, and his vote for Obamacare, render him unelectable.

June 1, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. Tony D

Democrats had better hope somebody like Webb runs for President because Hillary Clinton is severely damaged goods and carries the stench of failure of the Obama administration all over her. But Obama has so poisoned the well for ANY Democrat to run, that it probably doesn't matter.

But I do wonder, if he does run, will he be running against the failed policies of Obama or will he be promising more of the same? Hillary Clinton will also have to answer that as well. Her big problem is she was a part of the Obama disaster for 4 years. Maybe she will claim she doesn't remember anything about it because of all of her brain injuries?

June 1, 2014 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. rs

We could do far worse than Mr. Webb for President- like any Republican nut job- like Mr. Cruz.

June 1, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Now that they have been CRUSHED by Turtle McConnell, can't wait to see Tom Tillis,Sheldon Adelson,Rupert Mourdoch,Karl Rove,Grover Norquist and the GOP stuff Jeb Bush down the tea potty's throats EXACTLY like they stuffed Romney down.

June 1, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. rs

------
    Hey Tony- what part of Fantasyland do you commute from? Really? After the 8 year multi-front disaster of Bush, the GOP followed up with a do-nothing resume, and an anti-government shutdown. Really? You think anyone with a higher than room temperature IQ think thats attractive?

June 1, 2014 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Gurgyl

@JA, inept clowns are rethuglicans. Did they bring oil from Iraq, you are paying 3.68 gallon, you are incompetent clown to back them up. Jim Webb is next to Arew Cuomo, now Hillary16.

June 1, 2014 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  9. DD

All of these comments were said before the last election and I think they must have been wrong thank goodness.

June 1, 2014 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |