June 18th, 2014
6 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. HM8432

Our nation is falling apart from the inside-out, and this is what the ______-baiter Barbie's and Ken's at CNN want us to worry about? I care more about uncontrolled illegal immigration (designed to boost the Democrats future voter-base), the ACA-failure, the failed Drug War, and high unemployment/bad economy, than I do about fluff social issues, and whether or not _______ group had their feelings hurt by someone's comments (that they had a right to say)! Get back to reporting the news, CNN. WE'LL decide whether or not we're offended by something unimportant.

June 19, 2014 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Human rights is always vital. We must never forget that.

June 19, 2014 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. JD

The comparison is absolutely appropriate. We have genetic predispositions to all sorts of behaviors – good and bad – but the whole point is to try to make the most of yourself by acting on the good and minimizing the bad. Using genetic predispositions as a reason to demand that behaviors be immune to criticism is absurd.

June 19, 2014 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. David E.

This is America
    Why cant anyone say?
    Whats on their mind.
    Without being jumped on.
    I may not agree with what.
    You say .However I will
    defend your right to say it.
    Thats the America I know.
    Muslims can trash Christians
    No one cares.Try saying anything
    about muslims .Obama has trashed the America I grew up on.

Someone says.However I
    will

June 19, 2014 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. MplsMike

Go ahead Rick Perry. I say let these morons say all the offensive crap they want. This is the kind of stuff that hurt the GOP in the 2012 presidential elections, so go ahead and continue to bring your crazy and you won't be retaking the Senate.

June 19, 2014 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. Rich

@HM8432, Perry keeps commenting on gay issues, so CNN reports them, just like every other news source. If you don't want social issues in the news, call your representatives and tell them to quit focusing on them.

June 19, 2014 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Robert F.

What will Nancy Pelosi think? It's not like she reads anything anyway. She's tanked most of the time anyway. Just think,someone is killed every 51 min. in a alcohol related accident. I would think a lot more lives could be saved focusing their restrictions and bans from legal firearms owners and on to a far more serious disease.. just a thought.

June 19, 2014 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Lenny Pincus

Turns out he walked it back today, fake glasses and all.

June 19, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. thinchliff

Ah, yes. Rick Perry. The GOPs poster boy for idiocy. Oh, he of the goodhair. Makes you shake your head and wonder where the country is going.

June 19, 2014 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. thinchliff

David E says:
    "This is America
    Why cant anyone say?
    Whats on their mind.
    Without being jumped on.
    I may not agree with what.
    You say .However I will
    defend your right to say it.
    Thats the America I know.
    Muslims can trash Christians
    No one cares.Try saying anything
    about muslims .Obama has trashed the America I grew up on."

Everything was going along fine until the end. Just how has Obama trashed the America you grew up on? Did he say that you couldn't criticize someone for their religion? What the heck are you talking about? Or is it just the hate?

June 19, 2014 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. Plenty

Bold statement from a future POTUS

June 19, 2014 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. DJ Reality

Wow, watch as the republican party proves it should never again be in the driver's seat of this nation.

June 19, 2014 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. akmac61

David E., Anyone may think or say as they wish, but if they do so publicly, they open the door to rebuttal by others who disagree. That is the American way. No conspiracies involved.

June 19, 2014 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. NewMadrid01

Perry... Making Texas proud since 2000...

June 19, 2014 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. johnnyaries316

so, wait, is Dick also saying that he has genetic coding for homosexual relations but have desires to not act on it? is that what he is saying?

June 19, 2014 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. glenn

Well, the scientists are wrong. I personally know somebody who was homosexual and now is not. He is married, has 3 kids, and has sex with his wife. So I guess not ALL scientists agree on this. Just a guess, since it has been proven wrong already. And I am just one guy who knows somebody. Meaning....there are millions.

June 20, 2014 02:30 am at 2:30 am |