June 18th, 2014
1 month ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Liz

Gov. Perry makes me sick. He's obviously seriously undereducated and would be the last person on earth other than Sarah Bachmann I'd ever support for president. Romney was wishy washy but atleast was moderate enough to be a somewhat decent human being.

June 18, 2014 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  2. 1776usa2016

Jindal said it best about the GOP:

The Stupid Party.

June 18, 2014 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  3. Rick McDaniel

he better not be going to run for President. he won't get far, with that kind of thinking.

June 18, 2014 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. Jrh1524

Bravo Perry! Bravo!

June 18, 2014 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  5. Chris-E...al

Both are unhealthy all of it is costing us all money and valuable time . Can you tell yet ? Perry can say what he wants and you can be free to use discernment at will ?

June 18, 2014 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  6. PoBoy

We tried to settle racial discrimination state by state, and look how far that got us. Politicians like Perry and his ilk, want to defer to states rights when it fits their narrative, but quickly turn to the federal government when it's convenient. They're all hypocrites, who I like to call 'situational constitutionalist'!

June 18, 2014 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. Old Timey

It is sad but his opinion will fall into history within a couple decades. I grew up in a small town where gay was either evil or a disorder. Then I moved and became friends with a couple gay people. Now they have my loyalty as I understand they do not choose to be this way. They simply want to live a happy life without others telling them how screwed up they think they are.
    Let them marry. It is a matter of contract law, not religion.

June 18, 2014 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  8. Namedale

Rick Perry lives in a whine closet. Too drunk and stpid to come out!

June 18, 2014 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  9. Wire

The party of a total lack of understanding.

June 18, 2014 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. lori

this makes me cringe

June 18, 2014 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  11. Richard

So is Perry saying he is genetically inclined toward homosexuality??

June 18, 2014 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. hottpoke

Gov. Perry looks like HE someone who needs to come out, with those cute glasses.

June 18, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  13. Smitty

Not a fan but good for him standing up for what he believes.

June 18, 2014 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  14. JMorcan

Homosexual marriage is a disgrace. The U.S. is becoming a disgusting reflection of every vice and sin our forefathers were against.

June 18, 2014 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  15. Mississippi guy

God Bless Rick Perry. U self righteous liberals can stay out of the South. Leave us alone!!!!!!!

June 18, 2014 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Jim

Mr. Perry, Become educated on a subject before opening your mouth, IF, that is at all possible, which I seriously doubt.

June 18, 2014 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  17. BorisRoberts

So, Perry answers a question honestly, and I believe that is how he really feels, and since it isn't a politically correct answer, he gets jumped on, by Democrats and Gay Rights Groups. Typical. Someone will call him ignorant, a bigot, a homophobe and every other thing they can to insult him, yet this is the gay's issue, not Perry's.

June 18, 2014 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  18. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

The male Sarah Palin....

June 18, 2014 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Maty

So he agrees gays are "born that way".

June 18, 2014 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. brian

where is fred phelps when you need him the most? i'd like to put these two in a locked room and watch phelps kick perry's but even though he's dead... Amen to that.

June 18, 2014 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  21. Jas

I really hope this guy does not run in 2016. I consider myself to be fiscally conservative, but people like Gov Rick Perry get the party bogged down in this crap. I could careless about what gay people getting married or not. This is a "no-win" type situation, and the debate is costing a ridiculous amount of time and resources.

Not to mention, the whole position alienates a portion of the population. It's not just homosexuals who would be turned away by this rhetoric, but anyone, such as myself, who supports their homosexual friends. I can't vote for someone who would want to prevent them from having the same rights as I do.

I just don't get why there's a need to institutionalize disdain for something that they simply don't agree with. I don't have an issue with someone saying, "Well, according to my beliefs, homosexuality is wrong. So, I just don't partake in it, go to churches that have gay marriage, and don't associate with groups/people who actively support the practice".

Is it really any different than saying, "I think I have to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior, but I can still handle Bhuddists, Hindus, Jews, etc etc getting married in my country." You're not trying to prevent them from having any rights even though what they're doing can be definitely be said was a choice.

June 18, 2014 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. brian

where is fred phelps when you need him the most? i'd like to put these two in a locked room and watch phelps kick perry's butt even though he's dead... Amen to that.

June 18, 2014 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  23. antibully

thank god you'll never be president.

June 18, 2014 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  24. News enquirer

Gov Perry should realize silence is golden. Cant compare apples to oranges.

June 18, 2014 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  25. Mike

It's evident that every time Perry had a drink, he felt like bending over... so he's made a connection between his alcoholism and his homoexual tendancies in the very little mind.

June 18, 2014 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |