June 18th, 2014
3 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Can't wait to see Kevin McCarthy,Thom Tillis,Sheldon Adelson,Rupert Mourdoch,Karl Rove,Lindsey Graham,Haley Barbour,Grover Norquist and the GOP stuff Jeb Bush down the tea party's throats EXACTLY like they stuffed Romney down. Straight no chaser. Hillary will drink to that.

June 19, 2014 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  2. bill

I agree--the real answer is for everyone in the church to vote in ALL elections-ALL-by what the bible says not political parties or what the world sees as just.

June 19, 2014 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  3. cynthia hicks

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” – in a way that once again shows what a block headed ignorant fool I am that should be hiding under a rock like the rest of the scum like myself.

June 19, 2014 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  4. NYVeteran

I would add politicians to his analogy then. They are a disease that needs to be cured.

June 19, 2014 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  5. Bob

Yeah and the world and life was created 5000 years ago. Great call Governor; I want you as my next president. :-(

June 19, 2014 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  6. Marie MD

The reason the oops governor wants to move to California is because they are in the black, they have the ACA and Medicaid and he can sit back and relax with his gov pension from TX and not worry about healthcare insurance or money.

June 19, 2014 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  7. Citizen_123

I think stupidity is a disease and the the governor has a bad case of it!

June 19, 2014 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  8. Log

He stated his opinion... big deal! Is the only opinion on the matter of homosexuality that is allowed one that without question accepts the idea that gays and lesbians have absolutely no choice. If that's the case then we have a problem. Whereas I personally believe that some people may be predisposed toward feeling certain ways, in no shape or form do I believe even for one minute that everyone that engages in homosexual activity was born that way. I have been around a while and have seen people do all kinds of outrageous things for self gratification and so no – not everyone is predisposed.

June 19, 2014 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  9. Cheerios

People live to be offended, don't they? They wake up every morning looking for outrage.

June 19, 2014 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  10. what

it is any persons right to think as they wish..if they dont agree with gays,so be it..i dont like gay people so as a rule,i keep away from them. i will not condone that lifestyle..but they can live it..i will live mine...dont bother me.i will not bother you.

June 19, 2014 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  11. Britangala

The Republican stance on social issues is why they lost the last Presidential election. Seems they have not learned from their mistakes.

June 19, 2014 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  12. Zon

Ah yes, time for crazy season. That's when candidates wallow in the looney bin to raise money and support from their partisans. Perry can't help that his partisans are crazier than a barrel full of monkeys.

June 19, 2014 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  13. Frank

Predispose rather...

June 19, 2014 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  14. Ace

Please run for president, we need the comic relief.

June 19, 2014 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  15. mb

UNELECTABLE -for so many reasons

June 19, 2014 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  16. Jazzophile

Hey, Mr Perry, why don't you try "desiring" NOT to make such idiotic comments, which you are apparently genetically inclined to do?

June 19, 2014 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  17. joe

an awful slap in the face to alcoholics

June 19, 2014 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  18. Chipper

It's a good thing Joe Biden spoke out of turn and shamed Obama into changing his opinion about Gay Marriage

June 19, 2014 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  19. Michael

Is freedom of speech a "Social Issue"? Is the right to bear arms a "Social Issue"? Perry wants the right to discriminate against those that are different than he is to be decided by the states versus the feds. Wrong, Rick ... again. Get up to speed, buck-o ... it's the twenty first century.

June 19, 2014 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  20. oldbones24

another George Wallace. A bit of history during Reconstruction the KKK fled to TX to hide. I see they're still there.

June 19, 2014 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  21. Red Dog

. . .and I believe that Gov. Perry is genetically coded to be an a$$hole. . .as are most of the GOP residing in the so-call great State of Texas. Is it too late to give Texas back to Mexico????

June 19, 2014 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  22. Ted T.

Wow! would you want this packward thinking individual as our president? I don't think so! He ducks the question with his patterned answer "this should be decided by the States". Great answer, governor.

June 19, 2014 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  23. Tarzan

Soul-sucking stupidity like this is why the GOP is falling by the wayside. Wow. Just, wow.

June 19, 2014 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  24. DScully

Glasses do not equal intelligence.

June 19, 2014 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  25. Badskippy

Most are born heterosexual – by abstaining from sex, it makes ones celibate but IT DOESN'T mean you aren't heterosexual – just means you aren't having sex. IT FOLLOWS THAT ACCORDING TO PERRY, HOMOSEXUAL ARE BORN THAT WAY – ITS GENETIC and I love to point out to the clueless governor, but simply abstaining from gay sex, DOESN'T mean you aren't gay, it's just means your celibate. YAY!! FNIALLY THE GOP STATES HOMOSEXUALITY IS GENETIC – IT'S NOT A CHOICE.

June 19, 2014 07:48 am at 7:48 am |