June 18th, 2014
6 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Gurnicus Blanstonius

Perry is cooked. Let's talk about Abbott and the rest of the Texas GOP that decided 'repairative therapy' is in order for homosexuals. That they have a choice about being gay. Let's advertize and talk about that before Abbott gets elected governor. Make Texas look at the direction they are dragging their residents...

June 19, 2014 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  2. Joe

And cue the calls for political lynching. States rights is what he said. There was nothing in his statements about irrational fear of the practices of same sex relations.

June 19, 2014 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  3. Larry38363

This guy exemplifies what's wrong with Texas!

June 19, 2014 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  4. peanut

Peanut was a duck and the goose was a labrador retriever

June 19, 2014 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  5. PtBarnumBoy

There are 3 reasons why I think this guy is an idiot but I can't remember the third one right now.

June 19, 2014 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  6. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

That's right Rick. Double down on stupid!!! Yee haw!!!

June 19, 2014 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  7. jfoster13

Governor Oops should either back up his comments or retract them. Did he really think that making controversial statements like that would not be questioned? Instead he played dodge ball, trying to ignore the question instead of having the guts to answer to his own comments. And he wants to be President? Pleaseeeee!

June 19, 2014 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  8. Charles

Is it possible that Perry could be any dumber? A politician or science, who do you believe?

June 19, 2014 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

--------------------------------
    When did fighting for liberty for all become a bad thing? All that the federal government has been trying to do is uphold the 14th Amendment, which prohibits states from passing laws that deny people their rights. If you consider the laws that Republican controlled states have been passing recently, then is Perry saying that states have the right discriminate however they choose?

June 19, 2014 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  10. Chris

He should stand by his comments because they are valid. If genetic coding (i.e. born that way) is used to excuse homosexuality, why is it not a valid defense of other behaviors? While we spend billions on trying to "fix" those people with other genetically coded behaviors, we celebrate one as being special. "Born that way" is not a defense for all behaviors.

June 19, 2014 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  11. Ricky Gibson

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that – and I look at the homosexual issue the same way,"

Gov Perry, the point is you probably DON'T have the genetic coding to be a homosexual, therefore you are not one. But, I realize that would be a very slippery slope to step on, because you would have to acknowledge–in your way of thinking–that God created people either straight or gay.

Can you remember when you reached a decision point where you had to choose to be attracted to men or women and consciously chose women?

Me neither.

June 19, 2014 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  12. Harley

I saw this interview. It was funny to watch him dance around the questions.

June 19, 2014 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  13. Charles Hawkins

A Texas republican sticking to a dumb idea? Who would've thought such things were possible?

June 19, 2014 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  14. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I kind of like Rick Perry, he's always good for a little comedy relief. He's the epitome of the good ole boy cowboy mentality of yesteryear...

June 19, 2014 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  15. garg

basically he's saying, you are born gay but don't have gay relationships because Rick Perry finds them kinda icky.

June 19, 2014 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  16. Dallas

His presidential aspirations are now over. He will and should be relegated to the dust bin of history. The only bad thing about him leaving as Governor of our state is the one that may replace him (Abbott) is even more right wing and radical than Perry (I didn't think that could be possible). Good riddance!

June 19, 2014 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  17. David Jackson

As a physician with good intensions for usa I agree with perry. He is a good man. I do not think putting penis in an anus with all the feaces in it is a good thing. It is dirty and animalistic. You can be attracted to your dog but pls do not put your penis in your dog anus

June 19, 2014 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  18. Bill the Cat

So, they whine when it is blamed on genetics, and then they whine when it is blamed on environment. What other option is there that won't be whined about?

June 19, 2014 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  19. Raoul Duke, Doctor of Journalism

I didn't even know Rick Perry was gay, and here it turns out that he is as knowledgeable about this stuff as santiorum! When did he come out, and who are his partners? Does he use protection? Is he in a 12-step program for his drinking as well? So many questions to ask.

June 19, 2014 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  20. Gary

I'm a native Texan .. this guy is a bum and the only reason governor was because he was in Texas ... it's a red state with more right-wingers than actual people .. looks like Abbot will be next .. why can't we have a human

June 19, 2014 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  21. Chuck

Bye Bye presidential aspirations. These rethuglicans couldn't get any dumber. Do they not understand that they are now the MINORITY? What part of good sense eludes them. They need to start embracing immigration, womens rights, and gay equality. Until they do they will never see the White House again. Are they too stupid to realize this, or are they so caught up in listening to themselves speak that they really think they have a chance outside of their own red state?

June 19, 2014 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

The more he talks the smarter he sounds, doesn't he? ;)
    And those glasses really wrap up the package nice and intelligent-like.

June 19, 2014 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  23. Dan

So Governor Perry is telling us he could easily be gay, as he could easily be an alcoholic, but he chooses not to be gay or alcoholic. That's what he's saying, right?

June 19, 2014 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  24. twisted truth

Well, he stood by it, ugly as it is, his glasses could be an inch thick, he'll never be confused for a genius.

June 19, 2014 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said
    -----------------------------------------------------