June 18th, 2014
1 month ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. twisted truth

Run Ricky run,may as well, he's just another clown in the 2016 gop clown car. Honk honk!

June 19, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  2. Me

There was a study showing higher rates of alcohol abuse among the gay community

June 19, 2014 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  3. GreyMan

I felt embarrassed for him while I watched this. If this is what the GOP has to offer than it looks like it's the Dems game to lose.

June 19, 2014 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. John

What an embarrassment to the state of Texas this guy is. When he says that rights should not be "one size fits all" he is basicaly saying it is O.K. to discriminate. How does this guy keep his job in 2014? People in Texas can't be this dumb or hateful.

June 19, 2014 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  5. Danie

And these are the people who want to run the country.

June 19, 2014 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  6. regular joe

I'm glad Gov Perry is sticking to his original comments. Everyone has a right to their opinion and view, but that is steadily changing!!!!

June 19, 2014 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  7. Patrish

Oh, please! he didn't do well before, he won't next time. The only Republicans that have any chance are Christy and Marco Rubio, but since I vote Democrat 99.9% of the time, I din't really care.

June 19, 2014 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  8. becky

Governor Perry has a right to his own beliefs and to speak about it. I have nothing against gays, but I do think they have become bullies if anyone says they disagree with their lifestyle. They have all but torn down our right to free speech, and there is too much political correctness.

June 19, 2014 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  9. Peach

If that is what he believes-–let him say it. There is nothing wrong with it. There are plenty of people who are not in favor of gay marriage--for various reasons. Agree to disagree and move on.

June 19, 2014 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  10. Dan

Mr.Perry would seem to have a genetic code for complete stupidity and I fear he cannot choose to..."not do that"

June 19, 2014 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  11. PJ

Just sit back and watch the disaster unfold. Regardless of your position on this issue, please enjoy the unfolding of Rick Perry, he may want to avoid the Oak Lawn area of Dallas moving forward.

June 19, 2014 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  12. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Sure let the Republican controlled bigoted states decide on an individual's rights. And how soon would slavery be reinstated....?

June 19, 2014 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. Cecil

This guy is about as smart as a box of rocks. Even Bush another Texas governor was more intelligent. Thank God he'll never be president.

June 19, 2014 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  14. Bob

To the whole world this is a gaffe – to Perry its "kicking off the campaign."

June 19, 2014 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  15. Joseph

What an ignorant fool. Thank God he has no shot at the White House.

June 19, 2014 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  16. ekim corcho

Perry is so dumb.........

June 19, 2014 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  17. TheLostSurveyor

Why does anyone care what this guys says?

June 19, 2014 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  18. asutliff

The real headline should be: Perry is Bi-Curious.

June 19, 2014 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  19. AWB

Anybody in Texas figured out yet just how stupid this man is??? Makes 2 I can think of.

June 19, 2014 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  20. urouttolunch

I may be genetically coded to be a Republican, but I have the desire not to do that – and I assure you, it is getting more and more easy to smother those urges.

June 19, 2014 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  21. Anonymous

Ignorance is the greatest disease of all. It's much like Alcoholism – you don't know you suffer from it, but you cause great pain to those around you.

June 19, 2014 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  22. Kelly

Someone actually is taking him to task on this subject? Leave it alone; it's Rick Perry. Nothing sweet, kind, thoughtful, or intelligent will ever come from this man. And that's why Texas loves him.

June 19, 2014 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  23. Serge Storms

Perry is playing to his audience. And, for the long term, doing his part to turn the Republican party into a minority party. Keep up the good work.

June 19, 2014 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  24. sammy750

Perry is like G. Bush, and who wants another one in the WH. Look what Bush did to this country. When he bailed out it was trashed in every way we can think of.

June 19, 2014 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  25. Greg

I think the reason he started to wear glasses was to make him at least look smarter. Yet the dumbness continues to roll out of his mouth.

June 19, 2014 09:15 am at 9:15 am |