June 18th, 2014
6 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. peev11

Someone needs to investigate this guy. I personally know men that have been with him. He's just another closet case pinning for the GOP vote with something that resonates with those that hold on to hate. Ay what point are people smart enough to see through this manipulation?

June 19, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. The Voice of Reason

I thought if you have the genetic coding, then you HAVE the desire to "do that". He must be looking at it from an igno-ramus's point of view.

June 19, 2014 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. grumpy0ldman

Perry has the genetic coding that caused him to be a moron which left him no choice but to become a politician. We are not talking about a "social issue" Governor Goodhair. We are talking about human rights. If we allowed that to be decided on a state by state basis there would still be slaves in the south.

June 19, 2014 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Layfa

A state-by-state solution for civil rights. Well that sounds familiar.

June 19, 2014 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Kam

I'm no fan of Perry (I think he's not well-educated and old school in his views), however, I do support his conviction and his ability to stick with his answers instead of trying to spin his way out of something that may be unpopular, like all the other politicians would do... He'll even Hillary was against gay marriage before she was for it... Her husband signed a federal law called the defense of marriage act which was basically targeting gay people in an oppressive big government way, so I didn't her much opposition from her back then, Perry's view are wrong in so many ways, but at least he's consistent and doesn't change his mind when the wind changes direction,

June 19, 2014 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. max cady

Two presidential hope fulls who stood on their privates this week Perry, and Schweitzer.
    Hillary is looking better all the time.

June 19, 2014 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. caveman

I thought that If you have the genetic coding, you HAVE the desire to "do that". What was I thinking?

June 19, 2014 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. jonathanlk

Being gay is more like being a die hard right wing GOP religionist. Alcoholism is more just an addiction that afflicts primarily Congressmen and which builds up fatty tissue around their neural synapses blcoking their ability to think complex thoughts.

June 19, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. crazy gugenheimer

Yet more lies fr the sheeple.. the killers of Chris Stevens and the other 3 will never be found.

June 19, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. bobo

Good for Him! This is the USA and you have the right to have your own opinion or are people supposed to be controlled by the thought police?

June 19, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. CosmicC

I'm sure he'd like "social issues" to be decided state by state. His state, for instance, might want to revoke women's right to vote.

June 19, 2014 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. carre1

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a darn about what Rick Perry thinks.

June 19, 2014 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  13. Silence DoGood

----------
    So what was the federal Defense of Marriage Act?
    Religious/social Conservatives like Big Government when it fits with their (im)moral agenda.

June 19, 2014 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Reggie Lee

Nice tease CNN. "Gov. Perry Grilled Over Gay Comments" This made me click this article. Where his comments negative about gays or were his actual comments gay? I had to find out.

June 19, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. Haresay

The GOP is in trouble.

June 19, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Will

Rick Perry lets his back side do his talking for him politically, than most I've heard in recent years. And to think he ran for President?! He would've been better off as a washed out drunk. That way people could better understand why he has the inept views he does.

June 19, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Anonymous

That doesn't make sense. How are people in one state different from those in another? Although laws regulating morality have traditionally been within the states' jurisdiction, it's hard to see how one state would need to have different moral codes from another.

June 19, 2014 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  18. kkummen

OMG REALLY what scares me is that there are people out there with this view --idiots !!!! and he wants to be a president of ALL people of the USA scares me

June 19, 2014 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. GODZILLA1

And yet he is serious about running for President again.

June 19, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. amber

If the guy weren't so mean-hearted, you'd almost feel sorry for him. Bless his heart..

June 19, 2014 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. Mike

Only Someone who is unable to see past their own feelings and emotions could agree with Perry. I would never in a billion years vote for a man who is unable or unwilling to understand or comprehend the inner workings of his fellow humans.

June 19, 2014 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. rs

Rick Perry is the harbinger of what will kill the GOP for most Americans- an almost gleeful desire to show off a stupidity that allows people like Perry to say absolutely any sort of foolish stuff that is offensive and divisive and harmful.

June 19, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. ART

But those glasses make him look so damn smart

June 19, 2014 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Frederick

GOP has already lost a battle for enjoying dividing instead of uniting, and being openly against the gays. Will they reiterate their mistake this time around ? LOL

June 19, 2014 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  25. Janis

This is the man that Texas keeps re-electing to govern the state! Says a lot about the intelligence of my fellow Texans! So very sad.

June 19, 2014 10:41 am at 10:41 am |