June 18th, 2014
1 month ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Bort

I would hardly call that a grilling if he was allowed to merely pivot to another topic.

June 19, 2014 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. pam

Wonder if he will stick to his statment or, be bullied into recanting?

June 19, 2014 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. Bucktooth

This Dweeb has no idea about anything! They keep him in that position..somebody believes him!! Sad!!!!

June 19, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Nat

If he considers marriage to be a social issue to be handled at the State level, I was wondering if it would be okay if our state then voted to get rid of interracial marriages, because if memory serves me, the US government stepped in on that one....oh wait Gov Perry....you only mean gay marriage, not marriage in general.....

June 19, 2014 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. Owl Creek Observer

Wow, two gay-of-the-day stories from CNN already this morning! You fellows are really churning them out today.

June 19, 2014 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. What's "hiding' in your wallet?

The tea party/right wing republcans just don't get it. They cause more rift between groups, which causes more dissention so less time is spent trying to the economy/job outlook.
    They claim to be Christian, but continually break a 10 commandment – bearing false witness against others – by spewing incorrect, bigotted or closed mind statments that hurt a gorup of people.
    On a side note; does anyone else think that God's timing and sense of humor is priceless? So many times someone speaks like this and shows no remorse and then, "Poof! Your son wants to be a girl or your sister is a lesbian."

Is Perry giving the same lip service to adulterers? Cause that is a 10 commandment. Otherwise, he is just another hypocrite.

June 19, 2014 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. govdar

Frankly who cares. He stands below zero chances of becoming a presidential candidate, let alone actually President.

June 19, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Like Fat Men

Govern Perry is very narrow minded. He has no ideal what he is talking about when he compares being gay to alcoholism. I hope this narrow mined fool never makes president.

June 19, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  9. Optimist5

Why are there no responses?

June 19, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Phil

I love this host. I don't know who she is or where she came from but she's got balls of steel and is like a pitbull. Finally!

June 19, 2014 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. cure it

there is a cure ...

why would you not allow those who want to be cured to be cured with psychology ... afraid of the 90% success rate?

give them a choice ...

June 19, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  12. ritmocojo

And "Evolution is just a theory..." Rick Perry

June 19, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. Sniffit

""I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,”"

....doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result....

June 19, 2014 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. w2lucky

Why is he still on TV?

June 19, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  15. smee

show me that study that gives a 90% success rate please

June 19, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  16. Roger Stine

Give it a rest CNN, stop being the tabloid you are.

June 19, 2014 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. Sniffit

I'm thinking what we're really hearing is a bunch of Freudian vomit: Cowboy Fonzie's subconscious fears that he has those "genes" and it's a struggle every day to maintain his "desire not to do that."

June 19, 2014 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  18. Kenoscope

Texas believes that Rick Perry is a disease, he does nothing except for himself or the pockets of his good buddies, the Saudis.

June 19, 2014 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. BW80209

Perry is a tool!!! so is "cure it" i'm not gay, but who cares who someone loves or sleeps with? RU jealous GOV?? lastly, for all of his "AMERICA 1st" stuff, last time i was in TX, the 'good ole boy" gov's car was a BMW 750i

June 19, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Silence DoGood

(hyperbole alert) After considering 3.4 seconds of research and 5.8 days of prayer to my God, I realize the being a bigoted conservative is actually a disease. Please report to the clinic.

June 19, 2014 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  21. MEW

Cure it – I'm assuming you're referring to curing Perry and his ilk? Because you can't sure something that is not a disease. Although I'm assuming that you're ignorance is not a genetic defect?

June 19, 2014 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. Bill, NY

Grilled over gay comments? What kind of seasoning?

June 19, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. MaryM

cure it said "there is a cure ...

First of all there is No 90% success . Second, and you wonder why the majority of Americans think you and those like you are ignorant. Read and Learn.

June 19, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. stillupathome

After all her attempts to get him to answer the actual question, like a true politician, nothing was answered.

June 19, 2014 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  25. midwest2

Someone needs to tell Perry that those glasses aren't helping his intelligence factor.

June 19, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |