June 18th, 2014
5 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. markinfla

What a coincidence! That is how I view being a Republican. There IS a cure.

June 19, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I expect to see all you liberals over on the Brian Schweitzer (Dem) story comments bashing him equally for his "gaydar" quote.
    ----------------------------------------------------–
    That's another difference between libruls and consurevatives: libruls know stupid when they see it, hear it or read it and they're not too partisan to point it out.
    Consurevatives not so much.
    Go on over to the Schweitzer thread and have yourself a good laugh, I know I did!

June 19, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Harvey Tabasky

Perry has the gentic coding to be an idiot

June 19, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. Mr.Correct

Rick Perry is a liar. He drinks like a fish.

June 19, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. DustyOnesIsBack

If you are not a liberal in your twenties then you have no heart. If you are not a conservative by 40 then you have no brain.

June 19, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Kevin

Great, an uneducated governor.

June 19, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  7. Ana

To Philosopher, that bumble bee story is a myth.

June 19, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. tkogrady

TSK –

There are 7 billion people on this planet – and we're not doing a very good job of taking care of the people that are already born. Procreation is not a problem, over population is.

June 19, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Esaias

Too bad there's no cure for being an ignorant, arrogant, and hypocrital democrat!

June 19, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. JAB

Rick Perry.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    People still listen to him?

June 19, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. bobbaft

I think what he says has some merit...in that one is wired to be an alcoholic or a homosexual...but I wouldn't say it's a disease.

June 19, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. NavyVet

Hes right.

June 19, 2014 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Anonymous

We all knew Perry was dimwitted. And apparently he won't let us forget it.

June 19, 2014 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. TheThinker

So did anyone ever find a "gay gene"? The last I heard, they had not. I don't care either way, I'm just wondering but don't care enough to google it.

I highly recommend that people resist the urge to ridicule a speaker, especially when his comments are off topic.

In this case someone expressed (poorly) a politically-incorrect opinion and for it is personally attacked. Fifty years ago someone might have opined "gay is not a disorder, but genetic" and be lambasted and ridiculed from coast to coast.

If, sixty years ago, someone simply happened to be labeled a Communist, his every comment would be attacked and he would be considered evil incarnate, to be reviled without mercy.

... oh wait, Perry is a Republican. That makes it ok. Continue.

(sarcasm)

June 19, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. tbrown17

Rick Perp firmly believes in this and is not about to change one iota. What he and millions believe (those who elected him over the years) is stated in the Republican State Platform. They have come right out in public and acknowledged their beliefs so no one should be surprised to hear a politician repeat the platform. They all have to sign off on it to be Repugs.

June 19, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. Kevin

He seems to be genetically coded to be an idiot and that one he chooses to follow.

June 19, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Loathstheright

Rick is upset about gays....mmmm, me thinks that Rick just might be secretly gay...which is typical of conservatives who bash gays.

June 19, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. Jay

I do not agree with the gay lifestyle or the fact that you are born gay, with that being said i do have gay friends and love them, i do not judge them for how they wanna live their life i jus ask that they not subject my family to their lifestyle because it would confuse my children. Being gay is not natural for example i take two male electrical plugs and put them together it doesnt work same as female ends but the male and female ends together work, so to me its not natural. Why cant people jus live their lives with love and respect if ya wanna be gay thats fine i will still love you but please keep it to yourself out of respect for people who are straight and who do not wanna be subject to something that is not natural.

June 19, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. TONE

markinfla

What a coincidence! That is how I view being a Republican. There IS a cure.

I understand where you are coming from but being gay is not being sick, being a Republican means you are really really sick, and there is a cure.

June 19, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  20. Martha

I'm not going to get into it. He's got my vote for the 2016 race already. I'm not homophobic or relegious. Enough of our edited news to suit ones agenda. The fact is, traditional values is what made our country into a great place to be. Nothing is perfect but there is a reason people want to come here. We are all starting to see through the misinformation and agenda's pushed by the handful of people trying to reinforce the idea the majority of the population is gay or pro gay. We are not buying it. Perry is the kind if leadership we, as a country, need. Not every group who believes anything and everything should go is going to be happy. We are structured for a reason and need to focus on priorities. Perry is right.

June 19, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Hex

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all"

This makes sense. As long as he'll respect cannabis laws in other states

June 19, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Steve R

I'm running out of money. First, I contribute to the Rand Paul campaign. Then I send money to Ted Cruz. Now, I have to send Perry some funds. It's costing me big bucks but as a Democrat, I think it's well worth it.

June 19, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Raoul Duke, Doctor of Journalism

" since it isn't a politically correct answer," It's a STUPID answer. I don't understand why people are gay, but it's obviously not a search for new thrills. The only reason it would be 'addictive' is if it was way better than straight sex, and I'd be fascinated to hear poor old Perry explain why it seems as enjoyable as drinking to him. It's also stupid because lots of gay people are actually pretty conservative but can't vote that way because of social issues. since it isn't a politically correct answer,

June 19, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. regenesis0

Everyone jumped on Texas republicans over the gay therapy party plant, but another party plank they adopted was "Foster homes should be allowed to beat their kids."
    To me that's a lot more terrifying.

June 19, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Red Dog

@Dominican mama 4 Obama. . .yes, Brian Schweitzer's comments on Cantor and Feinstein are inappropriate! WTH. . .so many empty headed politicians spout out the first things that they think of.

June 19, 2014 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |