June 18th, 2014
6 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Quixote

It is kind of unfair asking perry to use words to express his thoughts. It is like asking a fish to do physics.

June 19, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  2. Educated American

"No one can say or do enough to appease the gay rights people anyway, other than to ask how high on the way up. The cause has gotten way too controlling of pretty well everyone. They could get what they want for themselves without threatening the freedoms of others, but getting what they want is no longer enough. They have stooped to taking bakers to court! Nuff already!"

I don't think you understand how freedom/rights work. Wanting the same rights as others doesn't mean you have to take them away from them.... I would love a specific, factual example of your freedom being "threatened." And the right to discriminate isn't a freedom (outside of Texas and some of the other southern states still fighting the civil war."

June 19, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Jackson

mindstorms1

One has to wonder if Perry is naturally ignorant or does he have to practice?

_______________

He apparently has the gene for stupidity and didn't choose to ignore it.

June 19, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"well at least texas still allows "freedom of speech"."

Oh do tell: what about this article has anything at all to do with free speech issues? Detailed explanation please.

June 19, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. Furball

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I can't vote republican. When the republican party switches their social views to something that is more...well, human then I will vote for them.

June 19, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Bill

So it is not genetics. Or is it? The BLT community needs to make up its mind.

June 19, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. JoeSunCity

Once again Governor Oops! Opens his mouth and something stupid comes out. Thankfully he is not going to run for Gov again. He is however considering a run for the White House, I am sure Hillary is keeping her fingers crossed, she would wipe up the floor with him.

June 19, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. JC

Talk about a clueless M0R0N!

June 19, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. capekaren

Did one of his advisors tell Rick that glasses made him appear intelligent? They don't help.

June 19, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Boomer in Mo

Poor Perry. No brain cells.

June 19, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. Bill

Another knuckle-dragger decides to open his mouth and prove to the world what an idiot he is. The true disease here is ignorance and Perry is chronic and incurable.

June 19, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. DRJJ

Is it loving to say nothing and let gays live a risky lifestyle or telling them how dangerous the lifestyle is? CDC says 5 times more likely to die of aids and something like 27,000 new cases of aids last year.

June 19, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. houtex1

Rick Perry did not give a direct answer to multiple questions asked of him. He has been an embarrassment to the people of Texas. He led Texas to gerrymander districts in order to restrict voting. He has definitely been a fox in the hen house. Real Texans are ready for him to move on.........hopefully to a somewhere in the Artic ocean.

June 19, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. SeattleReign

I swear this guy is a long lost brother of GWB. Same smirk, same moronic comments, and yet very comical, even though he doesn't realize it.

June 19, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Galand

Gay is WRONG !!!!!

June 19, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. Mike

Perry seems to confuse political cunning with intelligence. He's cunning enough to be elected governor- at least in Texas. But, he's as dumb as a broom stick.

June 19, 2014 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. boof

well, if you are just astronomically wrong about something the best course of action is to double down.

June 19, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. WhoCaresWhatTheyThink

He is perfect example of a person that knows nothing about homosexuality. Often when people are uneducated they fear the unknown. That fear is then used by some, but not all, churches and the many, but not all, of the Republicans to get their way. Nothing gets people fighting like the fear of the unknown. That is why it's more important then ever for those in the closet to come out. Most often when people know someone who is gay they lose the fear.

I'm gay and I often laugh to myself about all the people that fear gay people. I get up everyday, go to work, spend time with my family, eat, clean the house, sleep. I don't have some grand plan to take over the world. I will however fight for my equal rights. Oh and PS...I am one of several children. Guess who takes care of my elderly mother. Me. The rest of my siblings are Republicans....those who fight so hard for family values....yet they don't lift a finger to help my mother. I feel blessed to be able to care for her as she did for us.

June 19, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Learn to Fish

This is what it's like living in TX, millions of Rick Perry's walking around shooting stuff, running businesses, etc. So please, California (and other state) liberals, STOP MOVING HERE! You'd think putting Perry out there constantly would deter people from flocking to his state... no luck.

June 19, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Quixote says:
    June 19, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm

😄😄😄😄😄

June 19, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. BMette

Governor Perry's stumbling, evasive responses regarding his alcoholism/homosexuality comments demonstrate that he is simply tring to avoid the issue entirely. I suspect that his original comments simply fell out of his mouth when his brain was not engaged.

June 19, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. 2L

Why take him seriously? He couldn't even remember what agencies he would eliminate if he were elected!!

June 19, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Bob

Please, oh please, let him win the Republican primary for president. What a gimme for the other candidates for president.

June 19, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. CT

Well, I suppose if you have a genetic predisposition to any particular form of disease, you wouldn't need a visit to a doctor- you'd simply defeat it by desiring not to have it, huh?

June 19, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. JimmyNorman

Yea-Perry not the brightest bulb, but then again I say it's better than having a Reid or Pelosi

June 19, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |