June 18th, 2014
3 months ago

Perry sticks by alcoholism and homosexuality comparison

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry stood by his recent comments comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire" on Wednesday, Perry was asked by co-host Stephanie Cutter whether he believes homosexuality is a disease.

"I think my position has been fairly clear on that for a substantial period of time," Perry said, pivoting quickly to the economy as a more pressing issue facing the United States.

Christie: Perry is 'wrong' on homosexuality-alcoholism comparison

The focus should be on American jobs, Perry said, "and that is not on these social issues.”

"I think the social issues should be decided state-by-state rather than being something in Washington, D.C. to try to make one-size-fits-all."

At a speech last week in San Francisco, the longtime Republican governor - who ran for the White House in 2012 and is considering another bid in 2016 - was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.

"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said during that event, immediately sparking backlash from Democrats and gay rights organizations.

Asked repeatedly Wednesday on CNN about the controversial comparison, Perry did not elaborate further on his views on homosexuality.

"I got asked a question and I responded the way that I have before,” he said.

More from Crossfire: Perry weighs in on U.S. options in Iraq

Filed under: 2016 • Gay rights • Rick Perry
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

While I support gay rights I will never believe people were born that way. What I will say is of the 20 or so gay men that I do know, each and every one of them was molested by a man in their youth. Actually the 5 I went to high school with were all molested by the same church choir leader. I know that's a touchy subject but the truth is the truth.

June 19, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. JJ

No wonder they called him Crotch in the military. He needs to come out.

June 19, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Fred

Ridiculous that this question was even asked. Who cares what he thinks on this topic?!? A candidate's ability to improve the country's financial footing is all a working voter should care about right now.

June 19, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. andrew

Is he still the governor of Texas? Really?

June 19, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. jesteravrgjoe

Reparative Therapy is not for those that already know they're gay; it's for those that have doubts that they are gay. But of course CNN, and their left wing cronies will do anything to defile the validity of anything the right has to offer.

June 19, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. Jimmy Hoffa

It is well known in Austin's gay community that Rick Perry is gay. Many of the most vocal critics of gay rights are self-loathing, closeted gay men. Rick Perry is one of them.

June 19, 2014 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. PH

if you was raised in church and loved god you would not be gay. this is a adonation to the lord they will have to pay foor this most awful sin on judgment day.

June 19, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. shiboof

RP has the genetic coding of a bigot. All that hair that doesn't move must have something to do with it. Moron.

June 19, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Tnwolf

So, like Gays, does Governor Perry believe that alcoholics should not have the right to get married?? If that were the case, my wife among millions of others would never have been born, also including, I suspect, some of the governor's relatives.

June 19, 2014 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. A Watson

Why doesn't someone explain "exactly" what the gay issues are?

June 19, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Jerry

What can I say Texas has a legacy of electing idiots for governor.

June 19, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. rdc

...sometimes its hard to accept the truth... especially when we are used to do the things align with our lifeystyle... but i choose to listen and believe what is truth...God only created man and a woman...very simple...its al our choice which path you will walk...

June 19, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  13. I AM

He is not going to get the drunk gay vote when he comes up for election next time.

June 19, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

TruthT

So many hypocrites. This is what it comes down to. You fight for your right to say you believe a certain thing to be the truth and do not be discriminated against, hated or ridiculed for that belief. Yet if someone has a belief contrary to your belief you ridicule them, spew hatred and criticism at them and discriminate at them. He has a right to his belief, I have a right to my belief and you have a right to your belief. You are a hypocrite to attack him for his belief. Pure and simple. If you are honest you will admit to that.
    ---------------------–
    Conservatives are not attacked for their beliefs. They're attacked for imposing their beliefs on everyone else, which is wrong by a mile. Hypocrites? Ha! You're joking, right? How can someone claim that everyone has right to their beliefs, while imposing their own beliefs upon everyone else at the same time?

June 19, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. Kimo

There are three things wrong with Perry's analogy. First, alcoholism results in liver failure and other disease. Second, alcoholism destroys families and costs the nation billions in lost productivity. Third, uh, third, uh, um...oops.

June 19, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  16. cbp

The press continually ask these people questions that they cannot answer. Governor Perry is now making statements that are ridiculous and unproven. He certainly does not deserve to be president or to hold any other public office.

June 19, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. Jeff--Tacoma

Rick Perry is insignificant, not because he's too stupid for the GOP base (I don't think anyone is) but because he's not an idiot 100 percent of the time (99% just isn't good enough for the GOP base)

He will never make it through a GOP Primary, his opponets will just keep playing the video of him saying "I Don't Think You Have a Heart" If You Oppose In-State Tuition for Children of Illegal Immigrants. He knows he has to try to thread a needle to get the base support through the primary, without going too far down the bizzare trail and making himself completely unelectible in a general election.

So as absurd as it may seem, he's neither smart enough nor dumb enough to be the GOP candidate. Bring Sara back.

June 19, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. Marie Antoinette

Perry is creepy, really creepy. None too swift either. How did he get where he is?

June 19, 2014 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Ratt

So, where are the headlines on Lerner's harddrive missing and the Illegals Team Obama has unleashed upon us ?

June 19, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Wardo22

Our souther border is being overwhelmed with non-resident aliens. In Central America, it is being advertised on the radio that Obama has opened the border, all social services will be available and you will not be sent back. And this is what CNN is concerned about?

June 19, 2014 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Joe

So basically, no in one America can be asked a question on their beliefs without getting slaughtered by the other side? Gays attack everyone who dont agree.

June 19, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Raoul Duke, Doctor of Journalism

" If I am in the prescence on someone who is homosexueal, I simply walk or drive away without saying a word, they make me uncomfortable."
    Advice: You are practically calling yourself a latent. What do you think they might do to you? Wink? Smile irresistibly? "Shove it down your throat?" I have gay friends and I am not a bit attracted to them. They can sit next to me on the couch without freaking me out. If you can't do that, it's because they tempt you. Work it out in your mind, and maybe you should google 'gay panic.'

June 19, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. CH

My God...Ricky...you are an embarrassment and significantly ignorant. Please...from one Texan to another...please go away quietly.

June 19, 2014 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. sly

This article is a complete lie:

"Governor Perry grilled ...".

It is simply not possible to 'grill' Governor Perry – he is just not smart enough.

June 19, 2014 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. Raoul Duke, Doctor of Journalism

"if you was raised in church and loved god you would not be gay" Er, no. Are you actually naive enough to believe that? God doesn't life a finger to help anyone, and plenty of gay people still attend church.
    "it is being advertised on the radio that Obama has opened the border, all social services will be available and you will not be sent back" Wow, you believe that? How about a citation that isn't a FOX opinion show?
    You guys are a bad combo of naive and easily-impressed. Smarten up and stop talking nonsense. Hitler was anti-gay, too. Don't start being him.

June 19, 2014 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |